PSP vs. GIMP

To access Image ready from PS you click on the image ready icon in the main floating tool section or under the file heading on the bar also the short cut is Shift + Ctrl + M.

No it also is used when you want to completely adjust image optimization for the web as well as slice an image or add hyperlinks for navigation.

Are you serious? Poser is the program that runs slowest on my computer, like 2 times slower than Photoshop... At least on my computer...

... 2) it runs slower than POSER...

Hmm, why does Photoshop so much slower than PsP (that is unless they are the same thing and I just said something stupid:crazyeye: ) I have a free trial of PsP XI and it runs really fast and right about now I'm finding it extremely useful.

Nope! Pro Adobe PS is about $1700... No kidding... The thing is that Adobe PS has a bunch of pretty much worthless extra features that one could easily do without, but are included so that they could ramp up the price.

PsP, for its price, is the best value of the three. It has most, if not all, of the NECESARRY functions that PhotoShop has, but at a fraction of the price.

At the same time, it is much easier to use than Gimp or PS.

Well, I suppose Adobe Image would be good for that... If I could figure out how to access that function in PS....

And as to why I find PS so hard to use... Well, I've seen the manual for PS before (my brother went to Art Institute of Pittsburgh for CG), and there's a reason that the manual is about as thick as Webster's unabridged dictionary... If it were easy enough for your average Joe to pick up, then they wouldn't need a huge-arse manual like that.

I tried to play with PS a bit, but couldn't even figure out how to perform simple functions such as creating new layers or changing from 24-bit to 256 color and back.

Not only that, but PsP is compatible with a wider variety of graphics formats than PS (for instance, PsP can openany pallete files, obsolete formats and PS files, whereas PS can't open the old formats or half the pallete formats, including JASC .PAL fies or .PSP image files).

Wow, that's a rip-off. From what I read in the thread (btw I really did spark up a huge debate on this:p ) it seems PsP is much better, faster, and WAY cheaper.:dubious:

Well the only file types I know of that PS cannot open are native file types for specific programs. PS has old archiac file types not installed but included on the disc to open files that are not included in the drop down list.
But I have yet to find a professional print shop with EPS printers that can print directly from a PSP file like they can do with a psd.

Wow, that's a rip-off. From what I read in the thread (btw I really did spark up a huge debate on this:p ) it seems PsP is much better, faster, and WAY cheaper.:dubious:

Really? :dubious:

Let's take a look at what people said:
Photoshop has limitless options, PSP has alot less cool stuff for cheaper
As I stated earlier for the price the best bet is PSP or Gimp if you do not wish to pay for a raster "paint" program. Personally I find the pen tool in PSP to be clunky and not intuitive to use so I stick with the adobe line.
Actually PS comes with adobe image ready and you use that to make animations with, also optimizations for web graphics. I'm surprised you find PSP easier to use, maybe its just because I'm so used to PS.
It's called "Image Ready", and it's a separate program, that comes together with PS. I personally found it very easy to use.

So where did you read it's much better?

And I told you how to do the simple things Hikaro said he couldn't find, you need 2 clicks for each!

And it runs slower for Hikaro, it runs just as fast as PsP on my computer (and yes, I have both, and tried both).

The only real thing in your post is that it's much more expensive. :p

Really? :dubious:

Let's take a look at what people said:

So where did you read it's much better?

And I told you how to do the simple things Hikaro said he couldn't find, you need 2 clicks for each!

And it runs slower for Hikaro, it runs just as fast as PsP on my computer (and yes, I have both, and tried both).

The only real thing in your post is that it's much more expensive. :p

Well, I'm not a 'professional' so for me its much better and cheaper and doesn't have a "huge arse manual":rolleyes:

In my opinion, PSP is easier to use than photoshop or gimp

Prices:
Gimp = free
PSP ~ 100 €
Photoshop ~ 900 €

Since the game works a lot around palettes, they should be easy to handle. And in my experience, the best tool to work with palettes are PSP and Pedit (palette editing program - a link to which is given in the "utility programs" sub-forum and in Kinboat's signature).

But of course, Photoshop is the best tool in everything else. :)

I don't have PSP in this computer and I've had to make do with GIMP. I've gotten hang of the basic functions, but I just can't shake the feeling, that GIMP makes simple things way too complicated.

PSP was intuitive, simple and graceful piece of image editing software. I miss it and have considered buying one of the older versions. However, as I don't mod anymore, I don't need image editing software as much as I used to, so for now, I've settled with GIMP. Don't meant that I like it though. And to be honest, GIMP has its strengths compared to PSP, but in basic use, they aren't very numerous.

(Just visiting here, no comeback to modding. :) )

No. ;) I wasn't in a bad mood. Do a search in Site Feedback for the word "rolleyes". ;) See how many regular users and mods said they hate it.

I see what you mean, after just searching once I found a whole bunch of Anti-sarcasm smiley posts:lol: . Most of which were really funny, even though I don't think they were supposed to be. And in the top results people were purposely using the :rolleyes: just to annoy people. One thing I did see was one guy going off on a mod and the mod simply reminded him who was boss:D

Over my dead body, you freaking weasel-mods!

I'm sorry, did you say over your banned body?

Did I hear that right?

;)

I'm sorry, did you say over your banned body?
Oh man...thats siggy quality stuff right there...

To pop in my 2 cents...In the interest of price, I can say with no hesitation, that GIMP can do everything the novice MODDER can need...It can edit pallets, it can make PCXs, it can make animated preview Gifs...

There may be functions that PSP or PS have that GIMP doesnt, but it does as much as Ive needed done by 2-d program, for a year now...granted, Ive never made a LH or unit...but it has exceeded my C-n-P needs by far, and is excellent for 2-d edits for things like Tech Icons, and Building Graphics...

Here are my two cents on the subject.

PS and PsP are both expensive, but I use PhotoShop at school. It is a great program, and I would recommend it but for several reasons:

1. Cost. Why shell out money for a program that you are using for what is essentially a hobby? (In the case of Civ Modding). Besides, with a program that you purchase, once it becomes obsolete, you will either have to buy the new program or pay for an upgrade. With open-source, you simply download the next version and Voila! you can continue working.

2. How many features do you really need? Granted, PS has more features (i.e. more extensions, filters, etc.), but using a combination of the GIMP's filters and extensions, you can pretty much replicate anything you can do in PS. Plus GIMP has a few things that PS doesn't (softglow, etc.).

3. I have been working with GIMP for nigh on two years now, and I have always seen it as an easy program to learn.

I say, if you are going to use this program for things other (and more important) than Civ, then use PS or PsP. Otherwise, try out GIMP. If you don't like, you have lost nothing, whereas if you purchase a program or suite of programs, you may be disappointed and be out anywhere from 85-700 bucks.

I more or less agree with Varlin. GIMP is pretty powerful, and gloriously free. I've learned to do quite a bit with it and never felt the need to shell out money for anything else. GIMP must be pretty easy to use, cos the help files on mine are broken and I found out how to use most of the useful functions without them. :mischief:

Top Bottom