PSP vs. GIMP

Paint.NET (which has nothing to do with MS Paint or MS) is also pretty good and free. :)
Actually it does require MS .NET framework :crazyeye: Anyway I recommend this one

If you want a professional graphics editor then you should go with Photoshop. No point in spending money on PSP, it's worse than PS

If you don't like, you have lost nothing, whereas if you purchase a program or suite of programs, you may be disappointed and be out anywhere from 85-700 bucks.
Many programs have free, full-featured trial versions

Here are my two cents on the subject.

PS and PsP are both expensive, but I use PhotoShop at school. It is a great program, and I would recommend it but for several reasons:

1. Cost. Why shell out money for a program that you are using for what is essentially a hobby? (In the case of Civ Modding). Besides, with a program that you purchase, once it becomes obsolete, you will either have to buy the new program or pay for an upgrade. With open-source, you simply download the next version and Voila! you can continue working.

2. How many features do you really need? Granted, PS has more features (i.e. more extensions, filters, etc.), but using a combination of the GIMP's filters and extensions, you can pretty much replicate anything you can do in PS. Plus GIMP has a few things that PS doesn't (softglow, etc.).

3. I have been working with GIMP for nigh on two years now, and I have always seen it as an easy program to learn.

I say, if you are going to use this program for things other (and more important) than Civ, then use PS or PsP. Otherwise, try out GIMP. If you don't like, you have lost nothing, whereas if you purchase a program or suite of programs, you may be disappointed and be out anywhere from 85-700 bucks.

Great response, though you aren't the first. I've only been using PsP for a few days now but find it a great program, even though I've only got a limited time with it. It has essentially everything gimp has with a little more. I find PsP a little harder to understand but from experience with GIMP, it's alot less difficult. For some reason, I just like the overall design and feel of PsP better than GIMP, though it may be just a bit of prejudice against GIMP:mischief:. Overall GIMP would probably be the best to go with, I've decided. Since this is not much more than a hobby to keep me busy (besides I'm doing very basic, novice stuff) and in no danger of losing money.

@Keroro - The help files in the actual GIMP (references by cursor) are not complete, but if you are in GIMP and have your net access on, you can toggle the help and it'll take you to a huge, indexed manual that should show you alot of the stuff it can do.

Granted, some of those topics are a little sparse, but they continue to add to it periodically. Most of the basics, intermediate and advanced user stuff is well covered - it's just not applied to the actual working of C3c graphics, LOL.

@Keroro - The help files in the actual GIMP (references by cursor) are not complete, but if you are in GIMP and have your net access on, you can toggle the help and it'll take you to a huge, indexed manual that should show you alot of the stuff it can do.

Granted, some of those topics are a little sparse, but they continue to add to it periodically. Most of the basics, intermediate and advanced user stuff is well covered - it's just not applied to the actual working of C3c graphics, LOL.
Thanks estrongblade, I may be using that reference soon. :)

Top Bottom