Putting Mountains in the Way of Warmongers?

Exterminas

Warlord
So, a warning upfront: I might be completely off with this post, it is just based on some of those horrible subjective experiences that I had recently. It might not contain even a fraction of truth.

So, since the Start of BNW I have moved up to Emperor, whereas I played mostly on King before. I love playing a Warmonger and with BNW I have noticed a few... annoying things, that I wanted to share with you, to see if other people have observed the same.

My Point is this: Since BNW, playing as a Warmonger has become increasingly difficult - not in the sense of actual warmongering, but in the sense of what stuff you have to do to actually be able to start warmongering.

Here are a few of my points:
- With the changes to the Social Policies, especially the lost happiness from Piety, it has become mandatory for a Warmonger to start a religion with the appropriate happiness boni in order to maintain the puppets.

- The Tech-Malus for more cities punishes Warmongers, since those puppets bump up the cost without producing all that much science. Though you can combat that somewhat with the left side of rationalism.

- You are practically forced to devote at least some attention to Toursim, if you want to be free of Ideology-Pressure and roll with Autocracy, since the AI mostly seems to take Order or Freedom. Otherwise you get blasted to Narnia with Unhappiness.

- My Biggest Point: In the early game you have devote much fussing to setting up Trade Routes with City States, since you need the cash to pay the army, but trading with your nearest CIV-Neighbor, which would provide a decent amount of money, is usually out of the option with the caravan's limited range. Usually you just have one other civ close nearby, which you will want to DOW as soon as possible. So you are left with squeezing those measly City-States for Money in Order to hire Troops.

- This last point is most likely entirely subjective: Is it just me or has the terrain generation gotten worse in BNW? I meet an increased amount of mountain or jungle-induced Choke-Points, that make it agonizing to wage a decent war early on. This is probably a result of the Trade-Route-Induced Gold-Deficit. Before BNW I could just build a road through that jungle, in order to move my troops. But now I barely have the money to pay my Troops, let alone build a vast stretch of road into nothingness. Especially since those Caravans cost early Production too!

Overall I have the impression that the early game has become... tedious, because there is just so much stuff that you have to take care of, usually in a very strict, non-dynamic fashion. I feel this hits warmongers harder than other playstyles, since Defending your Turf has always been a lot easier in Civ5 than attacking it. When I play focused on culture or science, I rarely have to care about warmongering, since the AI is just so horrible at coordinating attacks at those choke-points and cities.

So, did I just have some bad luck with my Pangea-Maps and should Switch to permanently playing Great Plains, or do others share my Feelings about early game Warmongery?

There are quite a few active threads going on this topic.. a quick search should provide you with access to much more detailed information.. That being said; the summary is basically this...

Yes, early warmongering has definitely been made more challenging. Consensus seems to be that this was a necessary change. It's also important to note that early warmongering is not impossible by any means, it just requires a lot more planning and management of limited resources.

Also, to address one of your other points specifically:

You are practically forced to devote at least some attention to Toursim,...
I think you are probably referring to Culture, not Tourism. You can ignore Tourism completely and never suffer a negative effect (other than you're not going to win a Culture Victory). Culture on the other hand is your defense vs the Tourism of another Civ. The higher your culture is the more difficult it is for other Civs to gain influence over you, which in turn can add penalties once Ideologies are reached. It is a major gamble to ignore culture in BNW. However, the effects of this are not really relevant before you chose an Ideology, so if you can complete a domination victory before that point you can safely neglect culture.

Culture does help you defend against tourism, sure, but it's not enough without any tourism at all. If you have practically no tourism, and thus no influence at all over other civs, they will -very easily- get the amount of tourism necessary to just slightly influence you when you do not influence them. Even the very first bump like that hurts warmongering puppet empires a crapton, because the hit in happiness is proportionate to the number of cities you have. Also, you will suffer that exact same hit from a bunch of other civs very soon, and will be in big trouble.

Science can be a real trouble if you go for early warmongering. So my suggestion is to take rationalism, also build libraries ASAP otherwise you would lag terribly in tech.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Your influence over another civ does not impact their influence over yours. Unless I'm simply unaware of some specific detail regarding the mechanics of influence.

It's my understanding that calculation of influence is based upon only your aggregate culture vs the aggregate tourism another civ has gained with you. Once their tourism accumulated => your culture, they gain influential status over your civ. Prior to that point the various levels of influence (unknown, exotic, etc) give a % modifier on ideological pressure.

There are quite a few active threads going on this topic.. a quick search should provide you with access to much more detailed information.. That being said; the summary is basically this...

Yes, early warmongering has definitely been made more challenging. Consensus seems to be that this was a necessary change. It's also important to note that early warmongering is not impossible by any means, it just requires a lot more planning and management of limited resources.

Also, to address one of your other points specifically:

I think you are probably referring to Culture, not Tourism. You can ignore Tourism completely and never suffer a negative effect (other than you're not going to win a Culture Victory). Culture on the other hand is your defense vs the Tourism of another Civ. The higher your culture is the more difficult it is for other Civs to gain influence over you, which in turn can add penalties once Ideologies are reached. It is a major gamble to ignore culture in BNW. However, the effects of this are not really relevant before you chose an Ideology, so if you can complete a domination victory before that point you can safely neglect culture.

Your defense against the tourism of another civ is
your culture (reduces their influence on you)
AND
your tourism (increases your influence on them)

since Ideology unhappiness is "Their influence on you" - "Your influence on them" you want some Tourism.

however, that is fairly easy... just have the Guilds full, and some Slot buildings.. and you can get the rest by taking it.

Your influence over another civ does not impact their influence over yours. Unless I'm simply unaware of some specific detail regarding the mechanics of influence.

It's my understanding that calculation of influence is based upon only your aggregate culture vs the aggregate tourism another civ has gained with you. Once their tourism accumulated => your culture, they gain influential status over your civ. Prior to that point the various levels of influence (unknown, exotic, etc) give a % modifier on ideological pressure.

you are incorrect, but really through no fault of yours, this appears to be the #1 piece of misinformation about the mechanics of BNW.

Your culture defends against their tourism for influence and cultural victory, BUT for generation of happiness your tourism DOES help. Maybe someone can post the exact math, I don't know it, but simply put, if their tourism against your culture thems '3' influence points for unhappiness, but your tourism against their culture gives you '1' point - the two will subtract and you will suffer unhappiness as a rate of 2 (3-1)

Your tourism doens't slow down their victory, but it does help your happiness.

since Ideology unhappiness is "Their influence on you" - "Your influence on them" you want some Tourism.
Aah... I was not aware of this little fact.

That certainly adds more incentive to gain tourism. But again, if you can complete a domination victory before you choose an ideology, it's a total non-issue.

In response to the OP, I think that BNW attempts to address the fact that war has been the ultimate strategy in Civ V. A lot of this is because human players are so much better at 1UPT than the AI, so our comparative advantage is when we are at war, and it's a big advantage.

So BNW has attempted to counter this by making war a lot more difficult and costly in several ways. As was said above, many of us very much appreciate this change. In prior versions I felt that not going to war was like choosing to take a more difficult path just for the heck of it . . . now war closer to a balanced decision, the best way to win isn't 99.9% to puppet everything around me and role to whatever victory I want from there.

You need tourism if you want to defend ideology pressure.

Easy way to look at it.

If you're unknown with a Civ, and they're unknown with you, then theres no unhappiness there.

If you're unknown with a Civ, but they're exotic to you - then you're on different tiers. You get 1 point of pressures against you.

How do you get exotic with them? You need tourism.

etc

In response to the OP, I think that BNW attempts to address the fact that war has been the ultimate strategy in Civ V. A lot of this is because human players are so much better at 1UPT than the AI, so our comparative advantage is when we are at war, and it's a big advantage.

So BNW has attempted to counter this by making war a lot more difficult and costly in several ways. As was said above, many of us very much appreciate this change. In prior versions I felt that not going to war was like choosing to take a more difficult path just for the heck of it . . . now war closer to a balanced decision, the best way to win isn't 99.9% to puppet everything around me and role to whatever victory I want from there.

That is really odd, since compared to CIV4 I feel like CIV5 is a builders wet dream, since the game encourages you to go tall, with a very small number of cities, for most victories. Domination is just one victory type and as of right now it is pretty much the only one that encourages going wide.

I agree that the Vanilla Civ5-Situation: Beeline Longswordman -> Win, was a little out of hand, but two addons later I feel like they overdid it.

- This last point is most likely entirely subjective: Is it just me or has the terrain generation gotten worse in BNW? I meet an increased amount of mountain or jungle-induced Choke-Points, that make it agonizing to wage a decent war early on.

I have had the same experience. I'm playing on continents so maybe I'm asking for it somehow, but in my 10 or so BNW starts I've only had 2 starts with multiple close neighbors, and at least 5 starts I've had none.

I started Assyria on the edge of a continent with two city-states and a 25-tile mountain range between me and everyone else. It's common now.

Even if two of my starts have been good, it's clear now on a new map with no exploration done a warmonger focus is UNLIKELY to pay off AT ALL so I am compelled to turtle from the first turn or throw away 75% of my games. I'm done with even playing warmonger civs in BNW.

The big issue with tourism someone else brushed up on here earlier is that if you neglect it, you dont influence ANY civs. Yes your culture is your defense against one civs tourism. However when ideologies roll around it is likely that one or two powerful civs are going to choose either freedom or order rather than autocracy. Any smaller civs nearyby will be encouraged to follow the same path or be converted if already on a different one. When multiple neighboring civs are following a different ideology from you it exerts additional pressure to switch ideologies on top of the simple tourism calculation which can be seen in the influence by player screen where ideology happiness/pressure is compared. To prevent these civs from following someone else you must have your own tourism. Alternatively wrap up your domination victory sooner rather than later/take out the big guys with all that tourism first.

Science can be a real trouble if you go for early warmongering. So my suggestion is to take rationalism, also build libraries ASAP otherwise you would lag terribly in tech.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Or play as Assyria ;)

Top Bottom