PvPers thought on combat?

xMindTrickx

Chieftain
Civ5 is the first civ game I've played so I'm new to civ in general.

I absolutely love everything except the combat, Would like to hear what the pvpers think about it or got any tips for me.

What I don't like about the combat is that it's not really turn based, so it becomes who clicks first.
Fastest way to click is to que the action so it becomes done isntantly next turn.

Let me give an example of what happened to me;
I had my swordsmen close enough that next turn they could run up to other guys crossbowmen and kill them, I qued the attack order so it would be done isntantly next turn.

What he did was que his archer to retreat out of my reach and qued his cav to take archers tile.
Now my swordsmen standing there out of moves completely defenseless.

So what could I have done instead? I could of not qued the attack order and waited to see what he did but if he had qued his archers to attack me then my unit will be weaker now when I chose to attack.

So my conclusion so far is that combat is a guessing luck game, Although hoping some veteran might enlighten me since I'm still new to the game and still learning.

The only thing I have found to even out the bad combat slightly but not completely is being japanese in all of my games.

the combat in general is very good in multi compared to the :):):):) in civ with infinite stacking
the superior strategic impact of ranged units and cities is cool

for the problem you told i dont know exactly how it work, not sure its about speed

I have a similar problem. My brother and I play multiplayer. He has a top of the line custom built machine. I play on a decent laptop.

When a turn begins and we are at war, he has a 30sec advantage in play time where I am still loading the turn. He can effectively take out an army and leave me hanging out to dry.

We are starting to propose a rule where you alternate attacks during the turn. For example, person who starts the war gets first attack with one unit. Then opponent gets to attack/move with one unit, and so on until you are finished. Every turn we swap who gets to attack/move first.

In addition, cities get to use their attack at any time they wish without using up their move. All cities can attack the first round if they wish.

I think its the only fair way to play. While I am not the best player out there, my brother took out an army 6x his size because of his ability to move units first. It just wasnt fair.

Other than that, I absolutely love the game. Completely different from civ iv. While I loved civ iv, I have a feeling that civ v is going to play out to be even more epic after all expansions and patches come out.

~Tony

Did you mean to say 30 second advantage? Because that seems impossible to me.

It may not be a full 30 seconds, but it definitely seems that way. I had 22 units, he only had 4, and 3 cities to attack with. He got all of his attacks off before I could even select a unit. No queuing or anything like that.

It shouldn't be a rush to see who could move first. I absolutely love simultaneous turns -- Worked fine when you had SoD running around. Now, there should be some sort of system that rewards strategy instead of speed.

~Tony

PS - If I can create a mod to run the same rules as my brother and I have established, I will. Will have to see when more info is released.

Lol? You think speed wasn't rewarded in Civ IV? Fast moving and ctrl-a were often hugely important tools to use. The fact that you had stacks made it even harder because the moment catapults came around whoever could attack the other stack first could basically wipe out someone's entire army with the same exact unit count (or even with slightly less) as the target stack.

You learned to deal with these things as they were part of what made the game exciting. Although, I do think double moves is a strange thing to put back in, and that should probably be taken out which will limit your friend's ability to continually rout your units with an inferior force.

Although it is still on you to figure out a way to deal with his speed advantage since that's inherently a factor of simultaneous turns.

Zorgath, brilliant rules :goodjob:

Will start using them with my friends, and please do create a mod with them!

slightly offtopic but... Is there some multiplayer option to turn off simul turns? I know we had this in civ4 but I can't find it anywhere in civ5.

I just hope that I can create the mod for this. I never did modding before, but I am a programmer, so I cant wait for the SDK to come out.

And no, cant turn off simultaneous turns yet.

Top Bottom