Pyramids on higher difficulties possible?

ohhaimark

Chieftain
Hi all,

I played the Vox Populi mod for a long time but took a break from Civ in general during my last semester of grad school. With it now being over, I came back but after downloading the most recent patch found that the Pyramids now go on turns 22-28 on both Emperor and Immortal difficulties.

Is it sensible for the player to try and still go for them since the AI generally rushes them now?

Thanks.

Can't say much since I haven't played on those difficulties yet, but I imagine you'd have to settle your capital on a hill for bonus production, with no fresh water so you can build a well after you get Mining, have good production resources nearby, and then hope that one of your first ancient ruins gives you Mining.

I don't know if all AI civs try to get Pyramids, but if not there's always at least one who will try for it early in every game.

It depends on so many factors. What civ are you, what does your land look like, does it have high production, are you playing with huts or not. But basically you more or less have to go for it from the start so you have to have a strong start but that won't be enough. It more or less will require strong resources you can exploit and improve which more or less means either gold, silver or copper. You also more or less have to be "lucky" with huts and get production huts and/or gold so you can invest in it etc. Even then it's sometimes a lucky break if you get it or not.

The problem is as usual if you lose it the second prize of some minor cultural reward is not worth it. So it's usually win or restart cause digging yourself out of the hole you created if you lose is just to much on the higher difficulties.

If you are playing without huts and have a strong start with enough food to get to ~3 pop and then some 3ish :c5production: tiles you can usually get it, but generally to be safe you have to skip either Monument or Shrine and do Pyramids second. Sometimes you can get away with half-building the second one and investing it though.

Also sometimes no AI goes for one of the early wonders and it might not pop until like t42 but that's rare. Generally you want to finish by t27 or so to feel confident (no huts Deity)

It's not like it's impossible to get or anything, and as noted sometimes it just seems the AI somehow get distracted by something and just doesn't finish the Pyramids or Stonehenge very fast. But with a good start and so on you can usually land one or the other of the tier one wonders.

Perhaps the more interesting question is ... Which one is "the best"? Pyramids or Stonehenge? I normally like the Pyramids better but sometimes I wonder if the Stonehenge isn't better. Similar yields and such but it's a Settler vs a Council (and some faith per turn). It's more that while the Stonehenge might be better long term in the short term (which is highly important in the start) the Pyramids might just be stronger.

Hi all,

I played the Vox Populi mod for a long time but took a break from Civ in general during my last semester of grad school. With it now being over, I came back but after downloading the most recent patch found that the Pyramids now go on turns 22-28 on both Emperor and Immortal difficulties.

Is it sensible for the player to try and still go for them since the AI generally rushes them now?

Thanks.

I play on emperor epic and its very very hard to get.
A very good start is a must, a bad AI start, egypt, tradition or India with a pantheon which gives you early hammers are all things that help.
Another drawback is that a lot of AIs get very jelly when you grab pyramids.
In most cases I feel Stonehenge is better and safer, ofc on diety I assume even Stonehenge will be dicey.

I used to build it every game when the AI was less keen on but now it is simply too popular. As others have said I don't think you can afford to try and miss.

Ancient Ruins can make early Wonders go very fast.

I don't go for Stonehenge or Pyramids if I can't get by turn 30. I want to say it would be just a fluke if you see them go so fast.
I usually play on Emperor or King. I am generally able to get these 2 Wonders when I go for them, and build mine first.

Top Bottom