[R&F] Queen & Country: a Community Expansion Pack

I've made another pass of these suggestions following the announcement of the Spring 2018 Patch.
  • I've significantly revised England and Vicky. I've made England stronger, but I realise I've also made them more vanilla, with any colour now coming from the Leader Ability. I've done this because, for all of England being mucked around in various patches, I think it's time they just worked.
  • For Vicky, all the off continent stuff has been moved to her leader ability. I've got rid of free melee units for Vicky. I can't see a way to really make it work - and that's after this has been discussed to death in the forums. Instead, I've tried to focus her abilities more on establishing and maintaining colonies (regardless of whether they are acquired through peaceful expansion or conquest). The benefits of settling foreign continents instead comes from some of the other general rule changes I've suggested.
  • I've also lost the British Museum to account for the new UA. Very sad losing the BM, it's awesome, and unique for a civ to have two unique buildings, but I think that's the only way forward for this Civ. Also, to be fair, it's a bit weird England gets the British Museum, or that it can build more than one. It really should be a World Wonder if it's going to be anything.
  • I've also tweaked Norway, Khmer and Georgia, and reworked America.
  • Original text is below.
Rule Set 1B: Balance Changes - Civilizations

Q&C rebalances a number of civilizations, to ensure they are all, if not equal, at least competitive and fun.
  • England. England receives a new UU, “Ship of the Line”, which replaces the Sea Dog. England’s Ship of the Line is a Frigate replacement. It receives +1 sight, +4 defensive melee strength, and (when adjacent to a Great Admiral) additional +4 ranged attack. Production, gold and maintenance costs are the same as a Frigate.

• Royal Navy Dockyard is revised as follows. Cost remains the same. Grants an additional +1 Great Admiral points, +1 movement to all naval units built or upgraded in a city with this district, and +2 gold and +4 loyalty if built in a city on a foreign continent (no additional loyalty from being built on your home continent). You receive an additional +1 trade route for each continent that you have at least one Royal Navy Dockyard (including your home continent), up to a maximum of +3 additional trade routes.

• Victoria’s Leader Ability, ‘Pax Britania’, is changed: Receive a 50% discount on purchasing and upgrading melee units with gold (cannot be stacked with Mercenaries card), and Melee units fighting on foreign continents earn experience 50% faster. Unlock the Redcoat unique unit at Military Science.
  • America. New Civilization Ability “Shining City on the Hill”. America gets +1 diplomatic card slot, and builds Harbours and Aerodromes at half price.

• Teddy Roosevelt’s Leader Ability, “Roosevelt Corollary”, is changed. National Parks costs 25% less faith, and all tiles in a city with a National Park receive +1 appeal. 15% production bonus to producing Heavy and Light Cavalry. Gain the Rough Rider unique unit when you research Rifling technology.

• Norway. Norway’s UA ‘Knarr’ also grants +1 faith to all sea improvements for the Ancient to Medieval eras, in addition to its other benefits. [This buff should help Norway get a Pantheon faster.] Berserker cost reduced to 180, and unit receives double yields from pillaging.

• Khmer. “Grand Barays” grants a 15% discount to building aqueducts, sewers and neighbourhoods, in addition to its other bonuses.
  • Georgia. The Tsikhe faith bonus is increased from +3 to +4.

• I've suggested adding trade routes for researching Steam and Combustion and some other things, and additional growth for nuclear power. This should make these various developments feel more significant, and gives the related strategic resources more importance beyond just units. The bonuses are also linked to building certain buildings to make those buildings more valuable.
  • I've changed Foreign Ministry to give loyalty to colonial cities instead of flat extra trade route. This is to help offset negative loyalty to colonial cities.
  • I had originally suggested improved luxuries giving +1 gold if on a foreign continent. Instead, you now only get that if you slot the Spice Trade card, as I was worried this is too powerful. Instead, your Capital now gets +1 gold for lighthouses and markets on foreign continents, to help incentivise settling foreign continents.
I'd originally started this thread just to capture my own ideas, perhaps get some input, but also to maybe influence some design decisions at Firaxis. I'm not holding my breath on the later.

For what it's worth, I will slowly start working through all this to make a mod. It's going to take a while, but given I don't really want to play R&F in its current state, I've got some extra time on my hands...

Last edited:
I’ve reworked Lizzie given the changes to Loyalty and Religion.

Original text below.
  • Queen Elizabeth (Alternate Leader, England). Leader Ability, “Video et Taceo”. All of your cities with the same religion as your majority religion receive +4 loyalty (your capital always receives +4 loyalty), and your spies in any city with the same religion as your majority operate at +1 level (always +1 in your capital). Unlock spies at Castles. Receive the Sea Dog unique unit, which replaces the Privateer. Sea Dog can heal in Neutral Territory in addition to capturing units.

Added British Museum as a World Wonder, given the British Museum is no longer part of England's abilities. I have zero idea how I'd produce a 3D model for this wonder. So, this might be something I only add at the very end. Stats below:
  • New Wonder, "British Museum". Unlocks at Humanism. Cost 1240 production. Can only be built in your Capital City and only if the city has an Archaeology Museum. The Wonder can hold 6 Artifacts, and automatically themes when full, and provides +1 Great Writer points, +2 Great Artist Points and +2 Great Scientist Points. Archaeologist produced or purchased in this city are 50% cheaper.

Made a few tweaks. Elizabeth spy bonus would now work with City States. And Great Prophets can grant Relics.

I’ll make another pass after the Patch comes out. Who knows? Maybe England will get a proper overhaul in the next patch!

There needs to be a boost for late-game religion as well. I have suggested a few policy cards.

Televangelism: Broadcast towers provide faith
Moral Panic (Dark Age): Increase faith and production at the cost of gold, culture, amenities, tourism, and loyalty
Creationism (Dark Age): Campuses provide faith at the cost of reduced science; cannot purchase Great Scientists using faith

Last edited:
Top Bottom