[BNW] Question About Trying to Create New Civilization

Ranger1219

Chieftain
The first question is my difficulty to get my mod actually working in game. I use ModBuddy and have the XML's of all the civs. So what I do is go in, create a new project, add the XML's into the project, edit what I what, debug, then set up activation, then build it. However, the only time I've gotten it to work is when I went through and completely changed the name of every item in there. If I go in and only change a particular civs' unit from 2 movement to 3 (or a maintenance cost, etc. etc.) it won't work. Any ideas on what I would be doing wrong?

The second question is I've loaded in one of my test mods to see if it would work and there is a bug where I can't scroll through the leaders page to choose one. When I deactivate it and switch to others I can then scroll so there would be a bug with that particular mod I made.

Any help would be appreciated and if I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thanks

whoward69's enable error logging tutorial, You will want to look for errors mentioning the filenames within your mod, and you will primarily want to look in Database.log.

Follow the tutorial and set-up error logging for civ5. It's almost certain your 1st issue is that you are repeating <Type> names the game already has in the SQL database, and so are encountering unique constraint errors. SQL databases (which is what all that XML code gets inserted into) do not allow repeats of <Type> names already loaded into the database for the same gametable. So if your XML has a thing called CIVILIZATION_AMERICA (as an example) the game already has one of those so the entirety of your code within the same XML file where you would attempt to add a second CIVILIZATION_AMERICA gets rejected completely. The game's code including all its DLC and expansions loads before any mods so you have to bear in mind what the game will already have in the database from the game's various files.

For the second issue this is a well-known problem. At least one civilization that you've successsfully added (or changed) in the game's SQL database does not have at least two unique components (unique buildings, units, or improvements all count toward this requirement in BNW). Not having the minimum needed two unique components is usually a case of a syntax or other error in a mod's code that does not allow the two needed components to successfully get added to the SQL database. It doesn't matter if you can see or point to the two unique components in the code of the mod, it only matters whether the code is getting successfully loaded into the game.

Top Bottom