Question about unlimited resources.

Tiberium

Chieftain
Hello comrades.
I have one question.
Do anybody know some map editor for Civ 2 (or another method), with the help of it i can place ANY resources on ANY square, and on the EVERY square around the city???

Thank you, and sorry my english.

That is not possible.

Civ2 uses a "seed" number to place resources. This means there are 64 different resource patterns possible. That is all.

The best you can do is edit the rules to create your own terrain type(s) that look like resources. And then place that terrain where you want it on the map. But that means you lose a normal terrain type for every type of resource you need. Maybe you can use Glacier or Swamp for that. They're not used very often anyway. But you can't lose many more terrain types than that.

You can do the opposite, though. You can make sure that resources appear nowhere on the map.

Well, that too, but that's not what I was referring to.

You can do it with MapEdit.

Civ2 has a little flag for each square to hide a resource. It is used for hiding resources in the middle of the Ocean. Civ2 only has resources within reach of land as you may or may not have noticed. Harlan Thompson noticed in any case.

MapEdit allows you to remove all resources from a map. If you want it a bit more sophisticated than that, you can use it to convert a map to a bitmap, edit the resources out in an image editor and then convert it back to a map.

Ali Ardavan said:
How do you set this flag within the Map Editor?

Open a map and check the "Delete resources from..." checkbox you see in the lower-right corner of its tab. Then select the "all squares" radio button under it. Save the map and all your resources are gone.

One thing to remember, though. If you go and edit your map again in the Civ2 map editor, every square that you change will have its flag reset again, so resources can appear again.

Thank you Mercator.
Obviously this is not the map editor that shipped with Civ2.

Thank you Wobbegong for pointing out the link in Mercator's second post.

Mercator, since you have made it available for download, I suppose all I owe you is my gratitude, right?

Ali Ardavan said:
Thank you Mercator.
Obviously this is not the map editor that shipped with Civ2.

Yeah, obviously. :p

Thank you Wobbegong for pointing out the link in Mercator's second post.

Thank you Wobbegong for being the only person in the world who reads and understands my posts. ;)

Mercator, since you have made it available for download, I suppose all I owe you is my gratitude, right?

Yep. All my utilities are free... Unless you happen to have some spare money you don't know what to do with. ;)

Your gratutude will do just fine. Thank you. :)

Don't worry, I get the same thing, especially over at Apolyton. Are you the only person in that forum who reads and understands my posts (and guides)? :D

BTW, if it wasn't for MapEdit I probably would never have made my Middle-earth map. :goodjob: I also used resource suppression, but limited it to specific areas by means of PSP and the MapEdit palette.

Wobbegong said:
Don't worry, I get the same thing, especially over at Apolyton. Are you the only person in that forum who reads and understands my posts (and guides)? :D

:D Probably. I think Boco understands half of them too. ;)
I stopped posting at Apolyton though. I banned myself.

BTW, if it wasn't for MapEdit I probably would never have made my Middle-earth map. :goodjob: I also used resource suppression, but limited it to specific areas by means of PSP and the MapEdit palette.

Oh really? What made the map easier to make with MapEdit? Did you use an existing image of Middle-earth and convert that to a map?

Wobbegong said:

Those of us who understand you are the ones who DON'T post stupid followup questions...

Mercator said:
:D Probably. I think Boco understands half of them too. ;)
That's a bit cheeky. :D

Mercator said:
I stopped posting at Apolyton though. I banned myself.
I haven't seen Boco post for ages. That must mean nobody over there reads and understands my posts. ;)

Mercator said:
Oh really? What made the map easier to make with MapEdit? Did you use an existing image of Middle-earth and convert that to a map?
Yeah. I used Paint Shop Pro to fill out Christopher Tolkien's Middle-earth map with colours from the MapEdit palette. Low-density airbrush and colour-replacer tools were used to mix terrains such as plains and grassland. The MapEdit palette was then loaded to the image, before it was resized with a modified aspect ratio (horizontal compression). I ended up with a map of 32 725 pixels. The image was loaded into MapEdit where it was exported as an MP file. I used your modified version of the official Map Editor to clean up rivers, coastlines, mountain ranges and such. Actually, I think I switched between the Map Editor and PSP a number of times. The Gondor area is a compromise between the larger Middle-earth map and the detailed Gondor map (also by Christopher Tolkien); if you overlay them, they don't quite match up. I couldn't imagine trying to make accurate Civ2 maps (and especially gigamaps) using a method like this.

ElephantU said:
Those of us who understand you are the ones who DON'T post stupid followup questions...
We're kinda taking the piss, but stupid follow-up questions aren't the only sign that posts haven't been understood. There's nothing cryptic about Mercator's posts in this thread, so here it's a case of people not reading them or just lazily skimming the contents. Everyone does it; some more than others. ;)

Wobbegong said:
That's a bit cheeky. :D

Okay, maybe more than half then. ;)

Yeah. (...) I couldn't imagine trying to make accurate Civ2 maps (and especially gigamaps) using a method like this.

Hmmm, yeah true. That's still how I make them though. Well, "made"... Perhaps that's the reason why all my recent, bigger maps remain unfinished. It's too much work. The coastlines are time-consuming but doable, but adding all the rivers and terrain is a nightmare. Well, the Middle-earth maps are a little easier than real-world maps anyway, because the mountains, hills and forests come in big patches and there aren't too many rivers.

We're kinda taking the piss, but stupid follow-up questions aren't the only sign that posts haven't been understood. There's nothing cryptic about Mercator's posts in this thread, so here it's a case of people not reading them or just lazily skimming the contents. Everyone does it; some more than others. ;)

What he said. ;)
The stupid follow-up questions aren't really a bad thing either (unless the same people keep on asking the same stupid questions). Sometimes they spawn interesting discussions (and sometimes chatty banter ;)).

Top Bottom