Question about workers

JohnStryker

Chieftain
Hi!

I've been playing FfH2 for a while now. In earlier versions workers did pretty much the same they did as in a vanilla Civ IV (besides building fortresses every now and then).

But in my latest playthroughs they they kinda screwed up: My 50+ worker units improved some cities, some others not. They built roads everywhere (before doing the important stuff). They built workshop over mana nodes, other resources, etc.
At times they even retreated to cities as if there was no work left to do. But there still were many cities left with only several of their tiles improved.

Civs I played recently: Svartalfar and Sheaim

Has anyone else experienced what I did or did I mess up my installation / settings somehow?

Regards

I suspect most of the poeple here on the forum don't automate workers. 50 workers sounds like a lot.

There have been many reports of the automated workers being a little weird, so you may want to handle them manually.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I usually automate workers because I don't trust them to always build the right things in the right order. I don't remember ever seeing automation that bad, though.

Don't automate your workers. They will build farms over towns, and waste time building roads to nowhere. Besides, half the fun of Civ is in directing your workers to build your empire.

Fifty is a whole lot of workers. I can see why you would want to automate them. Too many to mess with individually. When I have many workers, I group them into gangs of 3 or 4, and order them a group. I usually have a ratio of about one worker per city.

That's a pity. At some point it gets kinda annoying to micro-manage all of them. In my last game at some point I had more then 70 of them.

There is a command that you can set, iirc, that prevents automated workers from changing already worked tiles. You may find that an easier to use option; then, once you work a tile the way you want, the automated worker won't cause problems. You can steill then change the tile manually then. In regular BtS, I use it to get them to build railroads once all of my tiles are worked.

Best wishes,

Breunor

I think that is under game options. "Automated workers leave old improvements" or something. I think there's also an option to keep them from building forts too.
Iirc, you can also automate workers to only improve a single town. You may be accidentally telling them to do that.
I usually don't automate my workers, but sometimes the tedium does get to be a little much late late game and the individual performance of the newly conquered cities isn't that important. I'd highly recommend not automating workers until that point though. Or at least not until you've got the basics for your key towns set up.

Top Bottom