Question of The Week: Crossbowman

Are Crossbowmen unbalanced?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As it is right now I personaly would switch strength and cost of the Crossbow with the Longbow. But from my Feeling and knowledge of the history I would place the Longbow earlyer into the technology then the crossbow and not as it is now later. Maybe removing City Planing as requirement from Feudalism and add it to Machinery because City Gate and Treadmill Crane both require the city planing in my option.

I think the problem is that the longbow is not the only improvement in archery technology. Classical era societies had many fine archers in drier climates where they used laminated bows. These didn't work well in wet climates though, as they would fall apart in battle. I doubt that is possible to replicate in Civ. The longbow itself was a Welsh creation, I believe, and adapted by the English. It was one of the stongest weapons of the late medieval period. The crossbow, by comparison, was an early to middle medieval weapon. They are each designed for different purposes. Any peasant can easily be trained to fire the crossbow, which is slow, but accurate and deadly. One later improvement was made with a pavise shield, which allowed the crossbowmen to turn their back to the battle with a large shield protecting them while they reloaded. The longbow takes an very long time to master. English kings required their subjects to train in the longbow from an early age.

What do you think of giving Longbows and Archers drill 1 to start to represent the greater rate of fire?

If I remember correctly, crossbows were a medieval era idea. The Roman church strongly opposed them as they put too much power into the hands of peasants at the cost of many knights. Speaking of which, crossbows should have more power against knights than against melee units.

I think the problem is that the longbow is not the only improvement in archery technology. Classical era societies had many fine archers in drier climates where they used laminated bows. These didn't work well in wet climates though, as they would fall apart in battle. I doubt that is possible to replicate in Civ. The longbow itself was a Welsh creation, I believe, and adapted by the English. It was one of the stongest weapons of the late medieval period. The crossbow, by comparison, was an early to middle medieval weapon. They are each designed for different purposes. Any peasant can easily be trained to fire the crossbow, which is slow, but accurate and deadly. One later improvement was made with a pavise shield, which allowed the crossbowmen to turn their back to the battle with a large shield protecting them while they reloaded. The longbow takes an very long time to master. English kings required their subjects to train in the longbow from an early age.
The Chinese from 200BC would like a word with you (they found a crossbow from 5th century BC) also their Greek counterpart from the time would like a word with you too
What do you think of giving Longbows and Archers drill 1 to start to represent the greater rate of fire?
Yeah, that would be cool

The Chinese from 200BC would like a word with you (they found a crossbow from 5th century BC) also their Greek counterpart from the time would like a word with you too

If so, I stand corrected :salute: Do you have a link I can see the info?

Edit: Never mind. I just wiki'd it. Seems like they did have crossbows way back when. Learn something new every day.

If so, I stand corrected :salute: Do you have a link I can see the info?

Edit: Never mind. I just wiki'd it. Seems like they did have crossbows way back when. Learn something new every day.

:) good attitude

Top Bottom