Question on AI aggressiveness...

ChickinSht

Small woodland creature
I just played a game on Monarch diff as the Iriquous, huge map, Panagea, 8 opponents. I decided to completely ignore all laws of reason and built nothing but settlers. Plus, I spread them all out pretty far. This gave me the largest empire, with the highest population and land area, and was defended into the medieval age by only 3 conscript warriors. I was also sitting smack in the middle of the Aztecs, Zulu and Americans. None of them ever declared war, and only rarely demanded anything, which I refused. The only civ who ever declared war on me was half a continent away, and was bought off for 130 gold.
My point is, why didn't anyone ever attack my (very) rich and woefully undefended civilization? I've played games on regent where I had a military and much smaller civ with less resources, yet been attacked repeatedly. What gives? And what determines the AIs willingness to attack?

My guess is that the attacks did not come because of the sheer size of your empire. Maybe the AI thought you were bigger and stronger than you actually are. But it's an interesting observation, especially since I always play with a compact and efficient empire and I always get threatened and attacked by the AI.

Reverse Settler Diarrhea. :lol: :crazyeye:

Using the AI's favorite annoying trick on the AI.

If your civ is that woefully undefended and the AI doesn't attack it that is dumb even by this AI's standards.

But a very interesting idea. Hope some people try it.

Don't forget the AI counts workers as if they were military units. So, if you had lots of workers building mines, roads and irrigation; the AI "thought" you had a large military.

Hee hee. If I'm not in the mood for militarism, I always build a mess of workers to deter aggression. Don't mess with me, or I'll build roads all over you! :crazyeyes:

Oh, you mean my two workers? I quite litterally had next to nothing. The only thing I built were settlers, and only had a max of maybe 6 at any one time. There was absolutely no reason for the AI not to attack, except for the sheer size of my empire. Because the cities were very spread out, it gave me more land area, and because I almost exclusively went for high food areas (tons of grasslands, cattle, wheat, very few mountains/hills/forests/jungle), my population kept up with settler production (city would become size 3, build a settler, down to size 1, up to 3, settler, 1, etc...). But because of all the cities, my pop was around 3rd or 2nd. All in all, my score was at least double the next highest. And this was the ONLY reason for the AI not to attack.
The Aztecs and Zulu were constantly at war, and, being above and below me respectively, I always had at least 50 or so units in my territory. This is the only other reason I can fathom why I was not immediately slaughtered.

that is incredible!! absolutely sweet!

I wonder what Firaxis thinks of that?

where did they pick up that AI engine? from the compost pile?

Christ! that is the lowest level of stupidity that I have heard this AI reach.

Thanks for letting us know that.

I'll try it.

I wonder if you can beat the computer at higher difficulty levels using the sd strategy?

Immodium? No thanks. I'm playing Civ3.

On a side note, I also managed to buy oil from the Zulus for 1 gold per turn, even though when I asked what they wanted for it, they said not gonna happen. Next step, waiting until one turn before the deal expires, and selling it to the Americans for an assload of cash and technology. If this works, I may have to stop defending the Civ AI.

Originally posted by Machi
Christ! that is the lowest level of stupidity that I have heard this AI reach.

Thanks for letting us know that.

I'll try it.

I see you like a challenege. Assuming that this is true and is a glitch in the AI, you seem all too willing to play it rather than play the game. Sounds like fun.

Top Bottom