Question on broken deals

KarstenL

Chieftain
I have a question to all you clever guys. In the game I’m playing these days as India at warlord level I’m having diplomatic problems because I have betrayed England. But I simply don’t know what I have done wrong. All the AI countries refuse to sell technologies to me if the trade involves gold per turn and/or luxuries from me to them. America, for instance, refused to give me nationalism in return for medicine and 40 gold per turn! Lincoln explains “you have broken deals with England in the past”.

In this game I haven’t had any mutual protection pacts or military alliances with England so how can I have broken a deal? I think I can remember that I somewhere in the middle age bought a technology from England in return for dyes and gold per turn.

Could anything go wrong in such a deal? Of course, if I had lost my territory with dyes, England would loose the supply of dyes, but I would still have the technology. But such a thing didn’t happen. Another possibility could be if I had lost a city with a harbour or had sold the harbour so that the trade route had been destroyed. This didn’t happen either. Nor did I declare was against England.

But could something have happened with the English harbour? Maybe England lost its harbour so that the trade route in this way was destroyed?

But if this is the explanation I hardly feel that I have broken any deal since I cannot be responsible for the infrastructure of another country.

I’m looking forward to read your comments.

Maybe english found their own dyes, though i'm not sure if this cancels the deal.
Or you lost your trade conection with them in some way (pilaged roads, lost harbours...).
Are you sure you havent declared war to them :)

In the early game where coastal tiles are the trade route, something as simple as a barbarian galley can block the trade route. It's not safe to do coastal tile trades unless you can keep it open.

I had similar trouble in the last GOTM. I thought I was being smart and traded with England a turn before declaring war on them. I gave them horses for some technology (can't remember which). The thing is, my reputation suffered irreversibly once I declared war on them. I was unable to trade for techs for the rest of the game and therefore I got too far behind and lost :(. Are you sure you didn't have a resource or gold per turn deal with England before declaring war on them? A very fast way to make your reputation go downhill...

It is exceedingly annoying when your reputation is ruined through no fault of your own.
On the other hand, I'm not the best tech trader but I would not expect the particular trade you mentioned, Nationalism for Medicine + 40 gpt, to ever be accepted by any AI

Nationalism is valued very high by the AI. Even if you didn't break a deal with England, I would not expect them to make that trade. I managed to sell Nationalism to the AI for another tech and 424 gold per turn so don't expect them to let it go so cheap.

Could anything go wrong in such a deal?

Any time you lose access to a civ, for any reason, the deal gets cancelled and you get blamed. Was there another civ between you and the English that you went to war with? That would cut off your trade route as well.

Yeah in my current game Scandinavia is between me and Portugal, I had a per turn deal with Portugal. Then Scandinavia declared war on me, disrupting the trade route to Portugal, now Germany won't do per turn trades since I broke trades with Portugal :-(. So be aware of who you and England were at war with.

also declaring war with troops in AI land will cause a rep hit (and it is a big one)

Randy said:
also declaring war with troops in AI land will cause a rep hit (and it is a big one)

Will that be even if i didn't have Right Of Passage with them?

In my current game i can't make Right of Passage agreements with anyone because they said i treated Egypt badly. But i killed Egypt before i could make right of passage with them.

Vraslosken said:
Will that be even if i didn't have Right Of Passage with them?

In my current game i can't make Right of Passage agreements with anyone because they said i treated Egypt badly. But i killed Egypt before i could make right of passage with them.

Starting a war by attacking thier unit on thier territory is treated the same as ROP abuse. If you are going to sneak attack, you need to attack some unit in territory other than thiers and you cannot have *any* units within thier borders.

The only way around this is if you kill the civ before any of the others know them.

I don't think you should be blamed if their (the civ you are trading with) infrastructure is destroyed. For instance in a current deity game I was trading silks to the Russians, who were on another continent. Somehow the Russians became embroiled in a war with Germany and Persia. The Germans captured the three Russian cities on the coast so my silk deal ended. The next I hear about is 4 turns later when the French refuse a gpt deal on the basis that I betrayed the Russians. Why should the human player always be the one who is blamed?

Top Bottom