question on research points

super_Keshik

Chieftain
for example, writing requires researching pottery or animal husbandry or priesthood first. does the cost for writing become smaller if i have researched all of the 3 than just only one of them? say pottery?

i have a feeling that the research cost for those techs drops if you have researched all the techs that lead to them

I think that others have simply researched writing before you, when you were busy researching pottery, animal husbandry and priesthood. That makes the cost for writing drop when you research it.

Best regards

Firebird

No, each tech has fixed number of beakers required, nothing to do with prerequisites. If beelining, you should go for cheapest prereq which is Priesthood, so you'll start Writing research sooner.

Yes, the more pre-requisites you research, the cheaper the cost. I think this fact is suppsoed to 'balance' against hte advantage of getting a tech earlier which, for instance, increases trade value.

Best wishes,

Breunor

So, you're saying that you'll get Writing sonner by researching all 3 prereqs before?

Priesthood - 60 beakers
Writing - 120 beakers = 180 total

Priesthood - 60 beakers
Pottery - 80 beakers
Animal Husbandry - 100 beakers
Writing - 120 beakers = 360 total

Or what?

I'm sure that the flask cost of a tech does not alter, either due to having all the alternative prerequisites or being known to other civs. I have checked back through saves in my current game and find that the cost of Code of Laws has remained at 455 points (Noble level) ever since it first became available to me from Writing (necessary) and Priesthood (alternative to Currency), back in 2000BC, through 400BC when I also had Currency (the other alternative), up to 860AD (current date) by which time two other civs have CofL but will not trade it with me, the stinkers. What has changed, of course, is the number of turns that it would take for me to research that tech: I now have more cities and am getting more research points per turn.

There are bonus modifiers involved also. They don't change the cost of the particular tech but in some cases you earn more than 100% of your beakers.
There's a substantial discussion of it in the Technology Research Explained.... strategy article.
In a nutshell, you get a bonus on your beakers toward the specific tech if
  • you have already researched prerequisites
  • other civilizations you've met know the tech you are researching

Top Bottom