T = # working tiles under foreign control
Cc = 2 if foreign civ has more local culture than you, 1 otherwise
H = .5 for WLTKD, 2 for disorder, 1 otherwise
Cte = Total culture of the foreign civ
Cty = Total culture of your civ
G = # garrison units
D = factor based on relative distance to capitals

I have a question:

The number of "working tiles", T, is an important factor in the calculation of the flip probability and the number of garrison units to prevent a flip.

When I capture an enemy city it will have a radius of one tile. If I were to capture Vironconium in the picture below, the cultural boundary might start as the red box. Until I build some culture that radius will not increase. When it does it will become the blue 'cross' (modified, of course, by the local culture nearby)

Before that expansion occurs, which foreign controlled tiles are considered for determining 'T'? Is it the number of tiles in the 1-tile-radius box, or the number in the 2-tile-cross?

I ask because I can conceive of circumstances where rushing a temple results in a theoretical expansion of the number of 'working tiles', but the border does not move, because the neighbouring enemy cities still have much higher culture than my newly captured city. And it will be a LONG time before that temple will generate more culture than is residual in the city. In other words, the cultural boundary stays red, but now all the blue cross tiles count against my city too?

In that case I may have (substantially) increased 'T', while not affecting the local culture dominance factor Cc, and so I've made the situation worse.

Does anyone know how 'T' is calculated?

edited for clarity - twice!

always 21 tiles. 'Working tiles' is the max(!) workable radius.

edit: removed BS, thanx, TNO, never knew this!

Killer is correct that the number of possible working tiles in the CF formula is always 21 (although you can never have more than 20 of them controlled by a foreign civ).

But Killer's second point is misleading. The Cte/Cty ratio is for the total culture of the foreign and your civ, i.e., the total culture generated in all your cities, even the ones that has been eliminated. So if you have 40 cities that has generated 300 CP on average, there's not much to gain by building a temple and improving your total culture from 12,000 CP to 12,002 CP.

The local culture generated in that city is the Cc part in the formula, and this is simply a comparison of which civ that had generated most culture in that city. This means that if the captured city had generated 300 CP for the foreign civ, then you need to have a temple there for 150 turns before it changes Cc from 2 to 1.

The temple's main use is to increase your cultural border to get control of the 21 working tiles and thus get T down to zero.

Top Bottom