Question - Voice Acting

MahDryBread

Warlord
I've been surfing around for a bit and can't find it. Are there still openings for voice acting in C2C? I auditioned roughly two years ago but StrategyFirst wasn't into my auditions. No hard feelings by the way, it's your mod and your choice.

I ask because if you're still looking for voice actors, I'd like to audition again. I now have a UR28M audio interface and am recording on an Electrovoice - RE20. I've become part of a voice acting community and have had help on my EQ work from an audio engineer and professional composer and voice actress.

Of course anything I do would be for free and just for fun. I'm just a fan of Caveman 2 Cosmos and want to chip in.

For people who were around two years ago, you might remember me as the guy who did the developer streams where I'd play the game while live chatting with members of the community who were working on the mod to spread the insight on the making of the mod to people on YouTube.

I remember ;)

I've got a few to do myself and take some pride in them but there are probably still some quotes still out there that need some addressing. Would be the first task to find them.

We are glad for you help! :)

Now all of tech quote have already recorded sounds, but ...
... many of they are recorded by me using speech emulation software. And they sound strange (at best :p)

For example tech Acoustics
Audio file is located here: Assets\Sounds\Tech\acoustics.mp3
Text quote (TXT_KEY_TECH_ACOUSTICS_QUOTE) is here: Assets\XML\Text\Tech_CIV4GameText.xml

Becuase there is 736 files I coded all mp3 files in 96kb. Its enough and files are quite small. You can easy copy starting ding from any of these mp3 files using for example Audacity or other sound editing software.

Please record this one quote at start (acoustics) and post it here and if others modders will be happy I can help you with uploading new files to SVN.

Now all of tech quote have already recorded sounds, but ...
... many of they are recorded by me using speech emulation software. And they sound strange (at best :p)

Oh, thank goodness, you're aware of the problem!

When I saw this thread, I was going to suggest accepting MahDryBread's offer specifically because of these computerized recordings; most of them sound strange, and some of them are outright garbled or worse.

I would also suggest recording another version of the Shamanism entry; the word which is actually in the quote is "mediate", but when it was recorded the speaker said "meditate". It is possible to mediate a journey for another, but if you are going to meditate, it is only possible to meditate upon or about the journey.

I just listened to the acoustic line and wrote down what I have to say for it. I'd love to record an audition for it right now, but my living situation at the moment makes it a bit hard to make the place quiet enough for a proper recording, but I'm sure I'll have my audition done in under a week. I usually have the place nice and quiet for a few hours once or twice a week.

I've also got a singled out "Tech Ding" noise if anyone wants me to just put the ding itself here for doing their own auditions.

Oh, thank goodness, you're aware of the problem!

Yea im aware of this. I want say that any human voice is better then this but its untrue. For example im not native speaker my english accent is too noticeable and because of that I used speach software to record quotes.
I event asks about this in amateur voice acting forum but no one answer :(

Well, I have a couple of friends who are professional voice actors. Want me to show this thread to them? I might be able to round up a few of us.

Sure :)
More is better. There is ~400 audio quotes recorded by speech software. Even some of the older audio files can be re-recorded again by better voice actors.

Other than Sparth's efforts, all the tech files have been recorded by current or former players, which explains why you hear half a dozen or so different people speaking.

Put it in a zip or RAR file and attach it here.

Upload it anywhere you want ex youtube and give us link

Well, no one's told me that they don't like my contributions and I'm the flat British chap you hear quite a lot early on.

Sorry about the delay, I didn't realise that I had to press "Go advanced" to attach a file.

I think you've improved dramatically. Quite good really. May not have the deeper voice that SO wants but it's very clear and well expressed. And I don't think it would benefit you to strain to the point of the unnatural to try to 'make' your voice something it isn't. I think the mod would be quite improved by your efforts and we should be thankful that you desire to commit your time and skills to this pursuit.

I'll still do the few I need to do here but that's mostly because its my personal way of marking the techs I've made.

Honestly, I think I sound nearly identical to two years ago. The only difference is that now I'm using an Electro Voice RE20 through a UR28M instead of a Blue Yeti Pro in USB mode. The audio quality went from alright to pretty good, my voice is the same.

If people like it though, I'm happy. I'm up for doing a ton of lines if no one has an issue with that. Is there a list anywhere of techs that need new voice clips, along with the quotes that go with them?

Top Bottom