• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Questions about The BUG Mod

^I don't have a folder called BAT Mod 2.1 ... just a file, in the Main BTS folder.

in the MODS folder there is nothing at all.

and it added another folder to the BTS folder simply called 'BUG Mod', which is why I tried adding 'Mod = BUG Mod' to the config.

I don't think it installed correctly, although I don't know why. I don't have my Civ4 disc with me, but when I get home I think I will do a complete uninstall/reinstall..

perhaps using only the BUG/BULL .. the graphical enhancements aren't so important to me.

are saves backwards compatible w/ the mods? or should I wait to start a new game until I get it all figured out?

I'm no expert, but my mods are installed in:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Maybe that would work?

^that would have been my first instinct, but the instructions I saw said to install to the BtS folder in the 'Documents' area.

here are the instructions for the self-installer that are in the 'Help' file:

Instructions for the Self-Extracting Setup (.exe file)

1. Uninstall older versions of BAT Mod (and check that all traces of old BAT files in the '..\My Games\Beyond the Sword' folder have been removed). Warning! Not doing so may cause the BAT Mod not to work properly.
2. Run the 'BATMod_xxx.exe' file.
3. When the setup asks for an install directory, choose the Civ4:BtS folder inside your My Documents folder (usually '...\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword').

that's precisely what I did.

i seem to recall seeing somewhere that installing the mod in your documents folder would not work, however im not sure if it was for bug and bat or if it was for a different mod

well I have to say I'm finding it rather frustrating that every place I look seems to say something different. and that the instructions listed on the FAQ and the Help file that came with the Installer simply don't work.

What is the name of the installer you're using. First, only BUG gives you the option between single- and multi-player install methods because BAT must be installed into the Mods folder whereas BUG and go there or in the CustomAssets folder. I'm wondering if you actually installed BUG instead.

BTW, the latest BAT (2.1) has some serious graphics errors that cause crashes, so we recommend you go with BUG 4.2 and BULL 1.0.

As for where to install, we got many reports that multiplayer doesn't work if the mod is not in BTS's Mods folder as opposed to the one in My Games / BTS.

^well, I'm not interested in multiplayer at the moment, so that's not a problem.

what I'm going to do is completely uninstall the game, delete all the folders, and start fresh.

now, at this point, are you saying the recommendation is to install both BUG 42 and Bull 1.0 separately? and not worry about BAT atm?

OKAY.

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. all patched up.

now, I want to make sure I do this installation right! I would just like to get instructions on the best way to install BUG and BULL.. I got BULL in a zip file, and BUG as a self-installer

I will be playing single-player only, and I want the Mods to automatically start each time I start the game.

also, what folders/files should I back-up b4 I install?

OKAY.

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. all patched up.

now, I want to make sure I do this installation right! I would just like to get instructions on the best way to install BUG and BULL.. I got BULL in a zip file, and BUG as a self-installer

I will be playing single-player only, and I want the Mods to automatically start each time I start the game.

also, what folders/files should I back-up b4 I install?

Well you're going to want to do the custom assets install most likely so you're going to want to back up custom assets. I'm pretty sure that the self installer for BUG gives you an option for doing this in the self installer, and BULL has some pretty detailed instructions on how to add it so it starts automatically

dcmort93 is correct. Use the EXE to install BUG first, selecting the Single-Player method. Your CustomAssets folder will be empty (just a bunch of empty folders) anyway, so you may or may not get a warning about it. If you do, just let it rename it.

Next use the readme inside BULL's ZIP for instructions to install it into the CustomAssets and Assets (for the DLL) folder.

Once you've done that, you can play normally without loading BUG, and you can open saved games posted on these forums using BUG.

so, do I start the game using the BUG Mod 4.2 shortcut that it put in the start menu?
or, just use the regular BTS exe?

EDIT: nevermind, I see that the target is actually exactly the same for both of those. so, I'm hoping that means I'm finished, and BUG/BULL will both automatically work every time I start the game now?

also... ya know, I'm lookin around here, Googling and stuff, and I really can't find a description of what the BULL mod does! I know that BUG is all about making the interface more informative, and giving the player better info at their fingertips...

but what exactly is BULL all about? it's still unaltered gameplay, right? the Wiki page where the FAQ is seems to mention only BUG/BAT..

Correct, when you use the single-player install method, BUG always runs. You can use any shortcut to start BTS. To make sure they are running, start a game and hover your mouse over your flag next to the minimap. You should see the version numbers for both BUG and BULL.

so, do I start the game using the BUG Mod 4.2 shortcut that it put in the start menu?
or, just use the regular BTS exe?

EDIT: nevermind, I see that the target is actually exactly the same for both of those. so, I'm hoping that means I'm finished, and BUG/BULL will both automatically work every time I start the game now?

also... ya know, I'm lookin around here, Googling and stuff, and I really can't find a description of what the BULL mod does! I know that BUG is all about making the interface more informative, and giving the player better info at their fingertips...

but what exactly is BULL all about? it's still unaltered gameplay, right? the Wiki page where the FAQ is seems to mention only BUG/BAT..

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274636
post 18 gives you the features of bull

okay, thanks. everything seems to be working fine. [Q
can I ask, is this how the Battle Odds screen is supposed to look:

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

all the purple bars? it's just kind of jarring to look at, I wasn't sure if that's normal or not.

and a question. the feature where workers stop chopping 1 turn before. if the workers move off the square and come back later, will it still remain at that 1 turn to finish?

okay, thanks. everything seems to be working fine. [Q
can I ask, is this how the Battle Odds screen is supposed to look:

View attachment 238575

all the purple bars? it's just kind of jarring to look at, I wasn't sure if that's normal or not.

and a question. the feature where workers stop chopping 1 turn before. if the workers move off the square and come back later, will it still remain at that 1 turn to finish?

For one, the purple bars are probably because you forgot to copy the files in the zip. The zip has a custom assets folder and in order for the mod to work properly that way you wanted it to you will need to copy those files to the custom assets folder in your C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword, I had this problem at first but then I realized that I forgot to copy those files. To answer your second question, yes, if they leave it will still be 1 turn till completion.

The changelog.txt file inside the BULL ZIP lists all of the features. It's not pretty, but it has everything, unlike BUG's changelog which I only started with version 3.6.

Those pink bars mean you don't have the Art folder in the right place. If you look inside BULL's Assets folder, you'll see Art, Res, and XML folders. These need to be placed into the CustomAssets folder. Say "Yes to All" when Windows asks you to overwrite files; there aren't any files in common anyway.

If you hover over a tile in your cultural borders, it will show you how many turns it will take a worker to complete any partially completed build, including routes and clearing. it never changes unless you do so with workers--even if you lose control of the tile and regain it later.

A not-so-important question. jUmpSt0p's post a few back (the picture attachment) highlights an advanced combat odds question I've had. Why do certain attacker bonuses (in green) show up as negatives? it looks like certain attributes are shown to subtract from the defensive bonus while others do not. The combat I promotion, for example, shows up with the attacker as +10%, but shock shows with the defender as -25% from the defensive bonus. In the end, it's the same thing I guess. Just questioning why some promotions are subtracted from the defensive bonus while others are added to the attacker bonus.

ah, by the way I got it worked out last night. everything working great, art and all..

thanks again for the help!

Why do certain attacker bonuses (in green) show up as negatives? it looks like certain attributes are shown to subtract from the defensive bonus while others do not.

Because that's exactly what happens. Only the Combat promotions apply to the attacker's strength; the rest apply as negatives to that of the defender.

The combat I promotion, for example, shows up with the attacker as +10%, but shock shows with the defender as -25% from the defensive bonus.

Let's say you have a Combat I + Shock Swordsman attacking an unpromoted Spearman. The attacker gains +10% of their strength (+0.6) while the defender loses 25% of their strength (-1.0).

In the end, it's the same thing I guess.

Only when the two units have the same strength. When they have different strengths as in the example above, there is a difference. Had the Shock promotion applied to the attacker, it would have seen a +1.5 increase. The difference is between 6.6 vs. 3.0 and 8.1 and 4.0.

Hmm, in this case it works out better, but I think I have the -25% calculated incorrectly in that it doesn't take 25% straight off the defender's strength. PieceOfMind would be the one to ask as he's looked at that code. I could read it, but I'd rather not. ;)

Which mode includes the Blue Marble, gentlemen? Is it BUG or BULL (BAT, obviously includes it)?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom