Questions about The BUG Mod

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a Tax slider for a modcomp, basically it's tax value that calculates the amount of commerce available to the usual CommerceRate stuff... Both threads about it, in my signature, please take a look. Anxious for input :).

Anyway, it will change interface directly on the slider portion, and is being planned to be merged with RevDCM/Bug on the outer scope, so i figured to take look at how you guys changed the sliders thingy( sliders thingy is a change from BUG, isn't it?).

I've download RevDCM and installed it with the source codes to take a look, so where can i find the slide specific? Python or Gamecore? Do you a recommendation on how i should do it( i know this is not the proper place to ask, sorry)?

Thx, also if you could help with any other aspect of the modcomp, it would be simply great!

@gfurst - Please post requests such as these in a new thread in the forum that contains this thread--the main BUG & BAT forum. There's also a specific Modding thread in that forum which works too.

I only partially understand what you mean. Are you seeking to replace the +/- commerce rate buttons with an on-screen slider similar to the slider in the top-right that controls the Field of View?

If not, I guess you're referring to the ++ and -- buttons that set the rates to 100% and 0%, respectively. These are to make binary research easier on your mouse button finger. :) They are added in Python / Screens / CvMainInterface.py.

Can you be more explicit about your needs? Mocked up screenshots are great for this sort of thing. Maybe phrase it by saying what the user would do and what would happen in the game in response.

@gfurst - Please post requests such as these in a new thread in the forum that contains this thread--the main BUG & BAT forum. There's also a specific Modding thread in that forum which works too.
Sorry, won't happen again, for me it was a happen about the BUG mod :p.

If not, I guess you're referring to the ++ and -- buttons that set the rates to 100% and 0%, respectively. These are to make binary research easier on your mouse button finger. :) They are added in Python / Screens / CvMainInterface.py.
Yes, i'm referring to them, specifically i want to add a new slider( i guess no reason to call it slider), above the usual slider for commerce rates( not replacing it, just above). This new item would be TaxRate setter( usual ++ --), so i guess i just need to know how to add, and how to make it readable from the source code.

Can you be more explicit about your needs? Mocked up screenshots are great for this sort of thing. Maybe phrase it by saying what the user would do and what would happen in the game in response.
Here is the thread about this modcomp development: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388151
If you want you could reply me there, also there is the idea as a whole and will make much more sense reading it( sorry, i guess i'm tired and my writing is just horrible tonight).
Last but not least, it would be simply great to have your help, hint, ideas :D. Thanks!

Okay, that's much clearer. The buttons are named "IncreasePercent" and "DecreasePercent" with the commerce type added by Python, so search for those strings. They are handled along with the "MaxPercent" and "MinPercent" buttons BUG adds. They are mentioned several places in the file, and you'll need to make sure to hide/show/move them as necessary for your mod.

Sotty if this is answered in the readme (ignore/flame as appropriate if so) but does upgrading from 2.3 -> v3 of BAT render current saves unusable, i.e. is BAT 3.0 backwards compatable?
PS Thanks for the update :D

@Torrello - Good question, and it would be something for the FAQ and readme if not included already. I think that if you rename the mod's folder to "BAT Mod 2.3" it should work. Either way you should know right away when you try to load your saved game.

However, Lemon Merchant is really the one to answer this as I'm sure she's already tried it. ;) I can say that there's nothing in BUG or BULL that would break compatibility, as usual, and I don't think the Great Person DLL changes we made should cause any trouble.

Ah ha! You beat me to it. Yes, you can update BAT during a game. you just need to temporarily rename the folder like EF says, and you also need to rename the .ini file to the version that you started the game with.

There isn't anything in the new version that actually breaks a save game.

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting the BUG Mod to work properly. I've installed it as a mod into the ~/Documents/BTS/MODS folder. BUG will load fine, but when I start a game, I can't see any UI elements whatsoever. No panels, buttons, screens, anything. I can just see the terrain and my starting units.

BTS: v. 3.19
BUG: v. 4.4
Installation source: ZIP file from sourceforge.
Method: Multiplayer (Mods folder).
No other mods installed.

I don't know what level of support, if any, there is for using the BUG Mod on OS X (the possibility isn't accounted for in any of the documentation I've seen). Since this is all XML, images, and Python, though, I don't think there should be any insurmountable hurdles.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• PythonDbg.txt
    26.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PythonErr.txt
    27.6 KB · Views: 54
Just started playing with BAT and I have a couple questions:

2. How do I prevent the city manager from alt+building units?

How do I prevent the city manager from alt+building units?

In the options screen (CTRL + ALT + O), City Screen tab, uncheck Build Military/Civilian Units Forever.

I like BAT, but when I upload saves to the forums, players that have BUG but not BAT can't play them. Is there a way around this?

I like BAT, but when I upload saves to the forums, players that have BUG but not BAT can't play them. Is there a way around this?

This is just how Civ4 works. BAT has features that require it to be installed as a proper mod in its own folder, and this folder name is saved into the saved game itself. You used to be able to fake it out, but that doesn't work any more due to some of the newer features of BAT that add new unit commands such as Land Sentry, etc.

Unfortunately, you must install BAT to load those saved games. BUG is installed into the CustomAssets folder to avoid this issue, but it does place some slight limitations on the features we can add to BUG.

Project dead? Last BUG release from May...

No, I've just been taking a break and sticking to answering forum questions. Work has been extremely busy. :(

BUG has some features that haven't been released yet, but luckily Fuyu has put them into his Better BUG AI mod that merges BUG, BULL, Better AI, and I think now some of his own changes.

This is just how Civ4 works. BAT has features that require it to be installed as a proper mod in its own folder, and this folder name is saved into the saved game itself. You used to be able to fake it out, but that doesn't work any more due to some of the newer features of BAT that add new unit commands such as Land Sentry, etc.

Unfortunately, you must install BAT to load those saved games. BUG is installed into the CustomAssets folder to avoid this issue, but it does place some slight limitations on the features we can add to BUG.

hmmm. what about bug + bull + blue marble, no bat?

hmmm. what about bug + bull + blue marble, no bat?

Yes, I forgot BULL. Fuyu's merge is BUG + BULL + Better AI. You can install Blue Marble separate from other mods (I do for playing BUG). If you don't want Better AI, install BUG and BULL to CustomAssets and then BM.

When it was running it stopped and gave me a message that a file wouldn't load. The program then wouldn't accept anything but aborting.:cry:

Top Bottom