1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions About the RPG?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by Cyc, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I received a PM from a RPG player and after replying I thought I should post it here for any others feeling the same way.

Depends on the strategy of each player. I'm trying not to make a mistake again from the past and make cheap tiles that overinflate the economy. All players get one tile free. From here they can gain a resource to start a business or take a gold heavy tile and work on increasing their salary. Their are many ways to increase your salary by 20-30% and higher. look at Diamondeye, we haven't even started the first turnchat and he is up to 23 Yenarii per turn, 230 every ten turns. Land grants shouldn't be easy to get or they won't be worth much. After a turnchat or 2 we can reevalute the entire game structure and make any necessary ammendments to the rules.

2. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

I recently acquired a dye tile. I'm going to start a resale business. I need no manufacturer, right?

3. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

That depends, what are you selling?

4. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Dyes 10cha

5. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Hmmm.... I belive you need a manufactureing company for that. I would check f I were you in the Rules.

Edit: Yes, You would need a manufacturer

6. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

OK fellas its time to revaluate. Now that everyones had a taste of the system we all have our own vantage point. All citizens will be equal members in the discussion. Lets start with the pricing as it is the most pressing issue. This means all prices from beer to businesses. The game will continue to run as it is right now. Any ammendments to the rules will take effect after the following turn chat. please keep in mind that some have staked alot of wealth early.

Current prices throughout the market:
    beer 3-6 Y
    modest house 1000 Y
    land grant 100- 1000 and up according to supply and demand under the bidding structure)
    Service business 500 Y half goes into the construction market.
    Resale business 1000 Y half goes into the construction market.
    Manufacturing Business 2000 Y half goes into the construction market.

1 hammer = 2 yenarii
    1 yenarii = 1 gold (current market rate)

obviously some correction is needed please post any suggestions.

7. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

beer 3-6 Y CHANGE to 0.1 to 1 (from cheap beer to expensive wine), up to 5 for super champagne
    modest house 1000 Y CHANGE to Stately Mansion, since 1000 is a lot of money
    land grant 100- 1000 and up according to supply and demand under the bidding structure)
    Service business 500 Y half goes into the construction market.
    Resale business 1000 Y half goes into the construction market.
    Manufacturing Business 2000 Y half goes into the construction market.

8. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

I don't think there should be a change in the prices. It's not like in the game a food retailer such as myself gets a solid fifty customers a day who all buy five or six drinks. Here I get maybe three customers a turnchat who buy one drink each. How do you expect business owners to make money when they're not in a realistic market?

Also, on a sidenote, I find it unfair that beer is included in that list, yet all the other things sold in the demogame so far aren't.

9. Provolution

Call it a MacDonalds index. I am finding it highly realistic to lose a house over a few hundred beers. Most likely, if I went to a pub, I would pay for a huge party for me and my followers, so please also consider more huge scale event management as well.

But having a round of beer cost as much as a fully fledged land tile, or a 20th of a full house, or a hundred years salary, does not make sense to me.

10. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I agree with Ice, too few beers are sold to allow your price changes Provo for them. If you want you could consider the price of one beer actually to be someones order for the entire turnchat.

11. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Good point Ice.

You are currently the only business on the pricelist, you aren't being singled out.

12. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

We might want to drop the cost of a Retail business to match the cost of a Service business (500 Y). Then drop the cost of a Manufacturer business to 1000 Y. This would generate some quick activity in the Construction and Sales Market. Might give the RPG a boost.

I think beer prices are realistic.

13. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I was just reading the H.I.M. thread. It seems that our ecopnomy will not move towards an "oil-based" economy, nut a "beer-based" one. :D Not a bad idea.

But I'm not sure a truely realistic economy is what we're needing here. We're looking for something that basically includes all participants involved. This is not survival of the fittest, it is survival of all who endeavour. We don't want to make it too easy, but we don't want to make it too difficult.

14. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

On our first issue of pricing I do not see a need for an Ammendment at this time. Ices' point is well taken and he would have little hope of having a profitable business if we were to lower his prices.

Now on to the issue of the Construction Industry. I think the core rules should stay in place but I must admit it is a little bland. Provo has some great ideas to add some flavor. We would add a little RP and allow citizens to buy add-ons directly from the construction companies with their hammers. The construction companies then trade the hammers in the construction market. This is one idea if anyone wants to add to it or has another idea for the CI don't hesitate to make a suggestion.

15. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

I think the business issues will clear up and be easier to root out once land becomes scarce. Right now, and I'm speaking for myself, my priority is land. I feel the need to keep up with people for amounts of land, and also to hold monopolies on resources.

Other then this, though, Ice is right, there is a very small market open to the people here, and cash flow is nonexistent. This brings up the land idea too, I plan on holding on to most of my money for the Land Auctions, therefore my use as a consumer is close to none, unless of course, I need to buy something, or I really want to buy something.

Lets face it, I really don't have to buy a thing here, and I could still make it. All I have to do to make more money is wait, it might take awhile, but its true. When I start running low on money, I probably will take a step out into the business world. But that fact still remains, I don't NEED to buy a thing.

The only thing that I can draw from this now, though, is taxes. And this is why they would work:
    The RPG forum is a popular one, and the RPG is, in effect, that thing that someone (me) wants, and therefore, will "pay" (talking Y here) for. Taxing certain things will become a manageable threat to the people here, increase movement of money, and force some people to open businesses, or possibly even take jobs, to bring in more money over the base salary that we get.

This is only an idea, and taxes will prove to be a very dirty word, but the option is still there. I believe we were discussing the Construction Industry.

16. Provolution

Well, if the beer prices stay like that, its ok for me, but to be honest, it would be much grander that Ice2k4s business model included hosting big events, a regular cycle.

For example, I could say the Provoshoguns frequented that bar for 200 years, spending 40 gold there (during a turnchat), I would feel more comfortable that way.

17. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

This is a great idea and is needed to generate some action in the Market. All businesses' legal fees will be dropped and the construction cost is all that will be needed. Anyone that has purchased a business will get a refund. This will only be in effect for 3 TCs' and then get reevaluated. This will start immediately following this weekends TC.

18. Provolution

Is this retroactive? Or did I just lose a lot of gold?

19. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Anyone that has purchased a business will get a refund for legal fees, thats a 1000 Y for you.

20. Provolution

Lord Civius, then you may keep your 600 gold :) and I got 400 gold to invest in land. :)

HIM is now 100 % owned by Provoshogun :)