Questions About the RPG?

Cyc

Looking for the door...
Hey,

RPG stands for Role Playing Game.

This sub-forum is dedicated to the CIV4 Demo Game RPG. This will be a continuation of the RPGing we have already been doing, but it will expand and develop to a greater extent. Read the RPG Rules and Game Structure. It may seem a little over-whelming at first, so if you have any questions, please post them below. Thanks.

Copied from the RPG Rules and Game Structure:

d. Tile Yield bonuses

* Food- All food yields are property of the king and hold no value in the RPG game.
* Gold- All Gold yields in a tile granted to a citizen are the property of said citizen and are added to his salary after each turnchat. (Y payout = total gold yields * turns played)
* Hammers- All Hammer yields in a tile granted to a citizen are the property of said citizen and are added to his items list after each turnchat. (Hammer payout = total hammer yields * turns played). see construction industry

When you (staff of this game) say Gold, I assume you mean commerce. So what will happen with the sliders? Will they have anything to do with the amount of gold received by the owner of the land?

For example, if science is at 50 and gold is at 50, would a 4 commerce yielding tile give the owner 2 gold a TC until the slider is modified?

Copied from the RPG Rules and Game Structure:

d. Tile Yield bonuses

* Food- All food yields are property of the king and hold no value in the RPG game.
* Gold- All Gold yields in a tile granted to a citizen are the property of said citizen and are added to his salary after each turnchat. (Y payout = total gold yields * turns played)
* Hammers- All Hammer yields in a tile granted to a citizen are the property of said citizen and are added to his items list after each turnchat. (Hammer payout = total hammer yields * turns played). see construction industry

When you (staff of this game) say Gold, I assume you mean commerce. So what will happen with the sliders? Will they have anything to do with the amount of gold received by the owner of the land?

For example, if science is at 50 and gold is at 50, would a 4 commerce yielding tile give the owner 2 gold a TC until the slider is modified?

We are simply talking about tile yields and yes a better definition would be commerce and gold I guess. The yields of a tile (from the map view) do not change unless the tile is improved, cottage grows, pillaged, global warming, etc.. Moving the slider does not effect a tiles yield. I tried to make the game as simple as I could. So to answer your question, no, the slider has no effect on a tiles yield in the RPG.

Are you using some automated system to handle everything here? Or are you doing everything yourself?

I'll let Lord Civius answer that. He's doing all the calculations.

Are you using some automated system to handle everything here? Or are you doing everything yourself?

Pretty much all the old fashioned way. I plan on creating a spreadsheet for the ART accounts but its been a long time since I've done one. I'll grab a tutorial to refresh my memory. Nothing is very complicated and my trusty calculator should help me avoid any accounting errors.

a. Manufacturing- (creating goods from resources)
Base start up cost is 2000 Y. Citizens opening manufacturing companies must either have a land grant containing a resource or be given the rights to the resource by its grantee. 50% of start-up costs go to building construction and the other 50% goes to legal fees and production costs. Once all dues are paid and your license is accepted you can produce anything on your resources item list. Manufacturers cannot sell to the public, only through resalers. If a manufacturer wants to also be a sales center they need to pay the legal expenses to do so.

I have got ivory on my tile. So if I want to use it, I have got to start some sort of elephant-related business, or I can give the rights to someone else (in exchange for some Y obviously). Is that right?

I have got ivory on my tile. So if I want to use it, I have got to start some sort of elephant-related business, or I can give the rights to someone else (in exchange for some Y obviously). Is that right?
That's correct, dutchfire. You can transform your resource into a sellable product by opening a manufacturing company. Or you can give someone the rights to use your resource in that manner. But in order for either of you to make a profit by selling it, you must find a re-seller (to sell to them, so they can sell to the public), or pay for the legal fees to become a re-seller youself. You may not sell to the public as a manufacturing company.

Can you form partnerships, so if i wanted to set up a construction company and only had 35 hammers when i need 50 hammers, if me and someone else who had at least 15 hammers, could we set up the company together?

Or if, say, Joe and I would like to make organs (as in musical instruments), could I bring the Ivory for the keys while Joe brings the copper for the tubes?

And can we ignore common resources like wood for the purpose of making items?

Partnerships are perfectly acceptable for me. Let me check the rules first, though. Lord Civius might have something to say.

The only thing I see about partners is in the "Departed Players" section. It seems partners are fine. Although, at this point, I'm not sure if Construction costs and/or Legal Fees are are split or remain the same for each.

:hmm: Thinking about it, a fully-fledged partnership should be allowed to happen once we can research Corporation.

Can you form partnerships, so if i wanted to set up a construction company and only had 35 hammers when i need 50 hammers, if me and someone else who had at least 15 hammers, could we set up the company together?

Partnerships are legal though keep in mind you will be splitting all profits made. Businesses will be given seperate accounts in the ART so they will be easy to manage as a partnership.

Or if, say, Joe and I would like to make organs (as in musical instruments), could I bring the Ivory for the keys while Joe brings the copper for the tubes?

And can we ignore common resources like wood for the purpose of making items?

Common resources like wood, cloth, etc.. are a given in the RPG. Your above proposal is perfectly acceptable. You guys must first start a manufacturing company (request made in the ART for business license). If you decide to form a partnership it is a binding legal agreement and the partnership cannot be revoked unless one of you gives his 50% to the other.

:hmm: Thinking about it, a fully-fledged partnership should be allowed to happen once we can research Corporation.

Partnerships are allowed now but business mergers, stock market, and more complex business ventures will have to wait for Corporations.

I think I already have my answer, but I would just like to clarify.

The currency in the RPG is defined by gold, not commerce. Players get their tile's yield, but after commerce is split between gold, science, culture, and espionage, is all that just gold to the owner of the land, or will they simply receive the amount of gold the government would receive?

The gold a Tile owner/grantee receives is the pre-tax amount appearing on their Tile. No matter what happens in the Gameplay, the gold pirces that are showing on your Tile are the gold peices of your salary.

So it might be better to talk about :commerce: than about :gold:. Also, things like markets don't affect your yields either, right?

Sorry, but I don't speak in hieroglyphics. :D

No, not Markets, but mining,roads, and rails will improve the value of a Tiles output.

For anyone who actually plays the game, those hieroglyphics should be obvious :)
Commerce :commerce: is the actual yield of a tile, while gold :gold: science :science: and culture :culture: are the output after applying all sorts of bonusses and sliders.

Lets not complicate the issue. When you open the save whatever gold and hammer yields show up on your tile is what you get. The are considered gold yields in the RPG. A players total gold yields from any and all tiles are then added to his base salary.

The currency in the RPG is defined by gold, not commerce. Players get their tile's yield, but after commerce is split between gold, science, culture, and espionage, is all that just gold to the owner of the land, or will they simply receive the amount of gold the government would receive?

or will they simply receive the amount of gold the government would receive? :goodjob:

So it might be better to talk about than about . Also, things like markets don't affect your yields either, right?

Nothing inside of a city will effect a players yields. Only things that effect the yields on the map like cottage growth. This would grant one more gold yield to its owner. A pillaged cottage would obviously reduce the players gold yield from the tile.

Sounds good to me.

Top Bottom