Questions from a new Conquests player

scl004

Chieftain
Hi. I’m new to these forums, but I’ve been playing Civ III for about 6 months now. I just ordered Conquests, and I’ve got a couple of questions.

1) How exactly do I change the end date? I want the game to run indefinitely, so I’d like to set the end date to 10,000AD or so. I have heard this is possible through the editor which I haven’t played around with. If that is the case, how do I utilize the editor?
2) I like to cheat! I know most people don’t approve, but can any of you recommend a method for editing my civilization’s money supply in Conquests? Obviously the trade X for 33333333 gold per turn method will be out, so I need a new solution.

Thanks for the help!

ScL

PS: If this is not the appropriate forum or thread to ask these questions I apologize in advance.

Well someone here might now... but the creation and customization thread would have been better because basically you are changing it into a Mod.

one can change the game limits in each new game. there is a button/drop down [forget] that says "game limits", in there, one could raise the amount of turns.

Originally posted by scl004
I like to cheat! I know most people don’t approve,...

Why?Does it really satisfy you when you won by cheating?
How would you feel when you are playing against someone
else on the net and he or she is cheating?
Maybe you should go back to civ2.There's an cheat option.

I'm just wondering why you would want to cheat. To me, it has little to do with the satisfaction of winning and more to do with the enjoyment of playing the game.

Surely you can't be that awful that you can't compete on Chieftain? Heck, why don't you just go into the editor and give yourself accelerated production, a dozen settlers to start off, etc? Better yet, just create a scenario where your civ has cities on 90% of the map and everyone else only has one city. :p

hey, let the guy play the way he wants, without criticizing or labeling him! who are you to define how he can get his satisfaction?? especially with civ3, which explicitly allows anyone to modify any or all aspects of it to ones own solitary content! :mad:

not everyone at all times is after the same old competitive challenge; sometimes you want to explore and expand your game experiences, without someone like you guys looking over our shoulders.

who are you to tell him (or me) that there's only one right way to play this game in the privacy of our own homes? and don't assume that this guy will play against someone -- most civ3 players don't. and if and when he does, he could adapt to that -- perhaps better, after experimenting to find what works when, and how.

one man's exploit is another man's technique.

I agree with Tomart109, if a player wants to cheat in order to play the game, how does that effect someone else (unless he is playing MP). Let he (or she) who has never cheated throw the first stone. And yes, restarting a game because of a poor starting location is cheating.

scl004: I apoligize for the harsh posts in your thread and would like to formally welcome you to CFC :band: [party]. Now, in regards to giving your civ more money, while i have never tried it, but I hear that there are some trainers out there that can provide you with more gold. I will try to find the link and post it for you.

Although I think there are more easy ways for adding fun to the game than finding out how to cheat, I have to agree with Tomart109 and sealman.

Whatever one does with "his/her" game in the privacy of his/her home, shouldn't be critized.

On the other hand, and that *we* shouldn't forget, it is everybody's right to add his comment to a given statement - as long as it isn't offensive.
So, scl004, just go on with your questions...

Originally posted by tomart109
hey, let the guy play the way he wants, without criticizing or labeling him! who are you to define how he can get his satisfaction?? especially with civ3, which explicitly allows anyone to modify any or all aspects of it to ones own solitary content! :mad:

Relax, I'm just curious not accusatory. If anything I think he'd spoil the fun of the game and get bored of it quicker. In the "privacy of his own home?" Lol, what is this a matter of constitutional law?

scl004, one "starting advantage" I used when I was learning to play was to create a random map beforehand but change the best starting location to "human player" or "player 1" (can't remember which) and would then make sure the area had near by deposites of: Coal, iron, horses and at least 3 lux.

Later on a friend pointed me in the direction of the war academy and after that I didn't bother.

Civ3multitool did the trick for me. Make sure you get 1.10 though as I think thats the only version that will load conquest saves.

After you pass 2050AD, you can simply select, "Play a few more turns..."

Thanks, Tomcat. I wasn't expecting to get piled-on here.

FYI I like to cheat because I absolutely suck at strategy games, and I initially found Civ3 (and Civ 1 for that matter) to be extremely frustrating.

I did find a trainer that seems to work reasonably well, but I still haven't figured out how to change the end date. Is that something I can do through the editor by creating a scenario? Thanks again for the help.

ScL

PS: I can't wait to get off of work today. Conquests is waiting for me at home, and here I am stuck for an other 5 hours. Doh!

PPS: I don't play multiplayer, and if I did I wouldn't cheat in it. Too many bad memories of PKers in Diablo.

Again, it wasn't my intention to pile on, merely to caution that using a cheat is both unneccessary and could ruin the gaming experience.

You simply can't be that bad that after a few games you won't improve.

Just start with Chieftain. If you lose, you lose, no big deal, just play again. Giving yourself an unlimited amount of gold take away a large part of the challenge and fun.

PPS: I don't play multiplayer, and if I did I wouldn't cheat in it. Too many bad memories of PKers in Diablo.

I couldn't agree more with JazzToucan.
Learn the game by playing on chieftain and most of all
learn from your mistakes.

Well you know how it feels if your opponent cheats.
I had a similar experience playing Red Alert on the net.
After a while I noticed my opponent was cheating,it
only made me more determined to beat him/her.

Giving yourself a big bonus is a cheat to me.Just like
the AI in civ3 knows the stationing of your troops,world
map and the resources spots.It takes a lot of fun away.

I suppose for me its more about the time I have to invest in the game.

I want to have the full freedom to do what I want, when I want. If I can't take the time to wait for my coiffers to fill so I can start unit production for self defense, I'd like to have the option to take out a "loan". If I find I went in the wrong direction and find myself in an untenable situation, I'd rather edit my way out of it than start over.

When I play on chieftan, the AI does silly things, sometimes even sillier than me. So I'd like the AI to be able to be at a certain level of competency while at the same time adjusting for my lack of abilities.

I could really get hooked on this game. I can see how easy it would be for me to spend the time pouring over the forums, playing practice scnearios, and taking a look at game logic. But I don't think I have the time for that. By the time I've bought my next game, I will probably have finished 2-3 non cheated games and 2-3 cheated games.

Hi. I’m new to these forums, but I’ve been playing Civ III for about 6 months now. I just ordered Conquests, and I’ve got a couple of questions.

1) How exactly do I change the end date? I want the game to run indefinitely, so I’d like to set the end date to 10,000AD or so. I have heard this is possible through the editor which I haven’t played around with. If that is the case, how do I utilize the editor?
2) I like to cheat! I know most people don’t approve, but can any of you recommend a method for editing my civilization’s money supply in Conquests? Obviously the trade X for 33333333 gold per turn method will be out, so I need a new solution.

Thanks for the help!

ScL

PS: If this is not the appropriate forum or thread to ask these questions I apologize in advance.

It seems this thread changed into an issue of morality and personal preference instead of answering your question so here it is.

1) You can accomplish this by two methods:

(a) Change the game limits in the setup screen when you first begin the game. Adjust the number of turns to allow you to end the game at the desired date.

(b) Go into the game editor and select "scenerio properties". Here you can adjust the "time limit" to any number of turns.

2) There are a few game trainers out there which is the only known way to cheat. A trainer is a utility usually designed by a Civ3 fan which allows you to change certain aspects of the game. The top three trainers are PowerBar 3.6 beta, the CCJ39's +3 Trainer, and Cyberman's 10000 gold trainer

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Doc Holliday
[(a) Change the game limits in the setup screen when you first begin the game. Adjust the number of turns to allow you to end the game at the desired date.

(b) Go into the game editor and select "scenerio properties". Here you can adjust the "time limit" to any number of turns.

Thanks, Doc. i discovered the game limits screen last night. I think I spent about half an hour playing with the options alone. Man, this is way better than vanilla Civ3. I love having game-play options.

I'm using some trainer that allows me to alt-tab out and add 100K at a time. So far it's working out great.

And for those of you who feel the need to lecture me on how I play the game, I'd like to say that I've been playing Civ 1 and Civ 3 for a LONG time now, and I prefer to do it with unlimited cash. I don't think I need to justify myself to anyone, it's just a personal preference.

Thanks for everyone's help!

ScL

Top Bottom