1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Typo?

I know what you mean, it's so hurting to see a lowly galley sink Sashie's Vengeance :mad: But then I could just send more. Those kinda games are usually ones where I have it in the bag and don't push towards victory anymore, pure fun :D

2. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

You are correct I meant that I lose the privateer to an AI galley, that is :mad:

3. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

Is there any way to move a group of soldiers at once? when i go to war i use 30-50 types of soldiers and its annoying moving them one at a time. (using vanilla 1.29f)

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

You should be able to use J or Ctrl-J, depending on the version of Civ you're playing. Click on the Civ 3 smilie that you play in my sig, and it will d/l a .pdf that has all the commands and a bunch of other useful info in it.

5. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

Thanks Turner.

6. Fanny Brice

Fanny Brice Prince

It was been over a year since I played Civ III. Please remind me of a few things.

* How do you move your entire stack -- instead of moving every unit individually?

* Can you destroy your own Forbidden Palace -- and rebuild it in another far flung city?

** Mod -- one of the things that I think kills this game is the way the AI instantaniously trades techs among themselves. Is there a mod, or a way to edit this? They seem to trade techs among themselves for next to nothing. Even civs that have no gold and limited means are able to trade and have the exact same techs as strong thriving civs.

Thanks

7. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Threads merged.
    J or Ctrl-J. If you're playing Conquests/Complete, use X or J to move a stack, and Ctrl-X or Ctrl-J to move like units within a stack.
    Yes and no. You can't really destroy your FP, however you can abandon the city and then the FP (or any other small wonder) can be rebuilt elsewhere.
    You can change the AI to AI cost in the editor, but you can't change the frequency. They'll trade if they have the tech to trade. Can't stop that unless you make techs untradeable, and I don't think that would be a very balanced game.

Remember, you can sell to the AI as well. Might as well take advantage of that.

8. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but here goes: if I make an alliance with Civ A against Civ B and then make peace with Civ B before 20 turns expires, will that hurt my trading reputation?

9. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

Yup. You'll never be able to make another MA, MPP, or ROP again.
    I think that's so anyways... maybe you have to actually attack your ally to get such a severe rebuke. The more I think about it, the more I'm unsure.

I am certain you get some sort of penalty, though.

10. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

11. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Hmmmm. I thought that I was pretty secure on trading rep questions but when I saw this, I was confident that I knew the answer but as I wasn't 100% I tried it out using an old save.

The answer is that your trading rep is broken, which is what I thought. I had a save where I was at war with the French. The Vikings were happy to trade me Feudalism for 68gpt but instead I bought an alliance with them against the French. I then made peace with the French and went back to the Vikings. They would not give me the tech for any gpt that I could offer-they were insulted. In fact they would not even give me a loan of 12 gold for 68gpt so I conclude that my rep was well and truly tarnished. (Note that I could still get that deal with the French though as they didn't care that I had broken a deal with a civ that they were at war with. Braking your rep with one civ doesn't always stop you making such deals so long as you choose your enemies and allies carefully. ;) It can get pretty messy though so I don't tend to do it. Also if that civ then gets eliminated, you can't mask your bad rep with wars again.)

12. btfx

btfx Prince

Hey all, I just wanted to say I won my first huge pangea game today as regent. Before I came to this forum I would lose such a game under warlord!

Good sirs, I salute you.:hatsoff:

Here's the savegame (652KB), just end the turn, though I suppose there's a chance a few too many cities will culture flip and I won't have 66% land anymore, but it's improbable.

In the replay watch for the one-turn conquest of Sumeria. I tried to use blitzkrieg whenever I could.

Edit: Attachment is too big, changed to link.

13. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Congratulations! :goodjob:

I think you might have to use the attachment option instead of uploading it. ;)

14. yagtag7

yagtag7 Chieftain

Quick question: is there any way to determine how many turns are left before a right of passage expires?

15. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Go to the foreign advisor, click on the details tab and then the face of the leader. Alternately, CAII supplies this info in spreadsheet form.

16. yagtag7

yagtag7 Chieftain

doesn't show the number of turns. :( and i want OUT of that peace treaty

17. rbigger

rbigger Chieftain

If you're plaing Conquests, you go to the diplomacy screen, diplomatize with the civ you're wondering about, tell them you'd like to propose a deal. on the screen that then appears, at the very bottom below the "We Want/We Offer" window, you'll see the words "New" and "Active" (and "Clear Table" if you're asking for or offering something). Click on "Active" and you'll see all the diplomatic agreements you've got with that particular civ. Next to the agreements you'll see (where appropriate) numbers in parenthesis. These numbers indicate how many turns are left on that particular agreement.

You can also see this info on the diplomacy screen (F4). Click on the "Details" tab and select the civ.

I don't remember if the first method is available in vanilla civ, but the details tab wasn't.

18. yagtag7

yagtag7 Chieftain

thanks. :) *goes and bashes wimpy Koreans over the head*

19. rbigger

rbigger Chieftain

If I do the Shift-I ("this city only") to automate workers, the workers will only do so much work. I haven't really done in depth testing, but it seems like it limits the number of workers to two or three per tile and then when all the tiles have a few workers on them the program stops automating them and Shift-I no longer works. But I don't want to have to direct workers after that, I want to be able to keep hitting Shift-I until all the squares have got a rail road and a mine/irrigation on them. Is there a way to have them keep going? I could do the full automation option (Shift-A or Ctrl-Shift-A), but I'd rather not do that. I just want to bring a stack of workers to a city and tell 'em to max it out.

20. watorrey

watorrey Deity

If it limits how many workers work per city, there is no way to do what you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.