Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a headache too from all of this. :p

I only know one teensy, tiny part that I can answer, and I don't know if you'll find it helpful or not. You said, "They were founded at the same time." That cannot happen. Why? Well, even if they were both founded on the same in-between turn, the AI takes their turns in a certain order. (I want to say it's in the same order as they're listed on the F8 Victory Screen, but I'm not certain of that.) Whichever AI's turn comes first, their city would have priority.

Now that I've muddled the issue even more, maybe someone else knows the answer to the rest of your question about cities A, B and C.

Ah, I see your point. I've never played multi-player, so I'm totally unaware of how it can differ from single-player. :blush:

Ok lets say you have two different nation cities 3 squares apart. They were founded at the same time. City A has just reached level 2 cultural expansion 100 culture. City B has been at level 2 cultural expansion for some time and has 944 culture. Does City B control the center space because it has more culture then City A? Or does it matter?
City B controls the contested squares in your example. In this simple case (without a third city) then the one with the higher culture owns any middle ground.

I've had the situation where an AI city is fighting back culturally and the culture is so close that the borders flip back and forth between me and the AI during the interturn, as first one city gets a higher culture (mine) and then the AI gets its culture added and just regains the upper hand.

I'm afraid that I don't play multiplayer either so I can't comment on that situation where they have the same culture.

Lets say City B has a sister city belonging to the same nation, City C. City C has level 2 cultural expansion as well and is also the same distance from that space as City A & City C.

Does the space go under control of city B & C? Or does it not matter that two cities are exerting cultural pressure on the same space verses only One city for the other side, city A?
My understanding is that for contested tiles each city's claim is assessed independently rather than having two cities gang up on a third. This is based upon gut feeling though rather than hard evidence, although it would appear to fit into the way that the computer cycles through each city dealing with production, unrest and cultural expansion before moving onto the next. I've played games where I've tried to prise land from the AI and my understanding of the principle has always been correct. Of course that does mean that I'm totally right-I may just have not met this situation. I have plenty of old saves that I can investigate so I'll try and take a look later on. CAII lets you look into the AIs world once you've finished a game so with a completed game I can look for tiles that are contested by three or more cities and see the culture gained by each one.

...CAII lets you look into the AIs world once you've finished a game...

I know this isn't about the culture flipping. This is more of a CAII question... Are you saying that once you've completed a game, CAII will show you things about the AI you wouldn't normally see? Like hidden things? That would be interesting.... :mischief:

I've had the situation where an AI city is fighting back culturally and the culture is so close that the borders flip back and forth between me and the AI during the interturn, as first one city gets a higher culture (mine) and then the AI gets its culture added and just regains the upper hand.

So total culture of a city does matter outside of total nation culture & cultural expansion? It flipped back and forth with no cultural expansion? Does cultural expansion matter at all all for tile control other then number of tiles under cultural influence?

Other then having more or less, does the number matter? Like if one city had 1001 and the other had 1000. If the first city had 9050 instead, might it control more tiles?

Are you saying that once you've completed a game, CAII will show you things about the AI you wouldn't normally see? Like hidden things? That would be interesting.... :mischief:
Yes I am! Open up a completed save and take a look. There's a drop down menu on the left somewhere that enables you to select any civ still in the game. You can then examine the save from their perspective as much as you can your own. I'd post a screenie but I'm in the middle of a HOF game session at the moment and so I don't want to keep stopping and reloading.

So total culture of a city does matter outside of total nation culture & cultural expansion? It flipped back and forth with no cultural expansion?
Yes. For sake of argument, if I just make up some figures to illustrate the type of thing that can happen. At the start of a turn, my city had a culture of 800 with a growth of 10cpt. The AI had a younger city with a culture of 805 with a growth of 8cpt. As the AI has a greater local culture, it owns any contested tiles equidistant from the two (within the cultural boundaries). During the interturn, my older city gains its culture first which increases obove the younger AI city and so I grab control of those tiles. Later within the interturn the AI city gets its culture growth and so regains control of the tiles. This gives a few turns of boundaries flippping back and forth during the interturn before they settle down as one city pulls ahead of the other.

Does cultural expansion matter at all all for tile control other then number of tiles under cultural influence?
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean!

Other then having more or less, does the number matter? Like if one city had 1001 and the other had 1000. If the first city had 9050 instead, might it control more tiles?
Within the ranges for cultural expansion I don't think it does, apart from when you are in competition with another civ.

I have several questions about the Temple of Artemis.

Can you build cathedrals in cities with free TOA temples?

What happens if you discover Education, so the temples dissappear? Will the cathedrals you built still be there?

Can you rebuild temples in cities with these cathedrals?

Can you build cathedrals in cities with free TOA temples?
Yes!

What happens if you discover Education, so the temples dissappear? Will the cathedrals you built still be there?
Yes. Your free temples are gone but you keep what you have built. You can also complete any Cath builds that you started before discovering Education.

Can you rebuild temples in cities with these cathedrals?
If you really want to, yes.

In fact someone posted about this very recently in S&T

I share a continent with France, Korea and the Mongols. My peace treaty with France is ~4 turns from expiring. I have a peace treaty with Korea that is 9 turns from expiring. Neither peace treaty is backed by any gpt or resources per turn arrangement. France and Korea just signed an MPP. If, after the expiration of the peace treaty with the French, I attack them, then Korea obviously will declare on me. Do I take a rep hit?

(I feel like I've just written one of those awful "word problems" from grade school math . . . If train leaves Baltimore at 9 a.m. . . . )

Edit: Don't worry about the Mongols. They're not really important to this.

I share a continent with France, Korea and the Mongols. My peace treaty with France is ~4 turns from expiring. I have a peace treaty with Korea that is 9 turns from expiring. Neither peace treaty is backed by any gpt or resources per turn arrangement. France and Korea just signed an MPP. If, after the expiration of the peace treaty with the French, I attack them, then Korea obviously will declare on me. Do I take a rep hit?
No, because they will have declared on you. I assume that you may well benefit from War Fever as a bonus? This is the beauty of AIs signing MPPs and also the reason why 99.99% of the time I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.;)

(I feel like I've just written one of those awful "word problems" from grade school math . . . If train leaves Baltimore at 9 a.m. . . . )
:lol:

I"ve looked around, but haven't seen this addressed. I have had some issues with the game crashing when using F3 to access the Military Advisor. In my current game it began happening right after I entered Golden Age. That seems to have been my experience previous game as well, although I cannot confirm. Is this a known bug and is there a fix for it? Civ III Complete.
thanks in advance,

Yes there is a problem with the F3 crashing. It tends to only occur on very large maps. The only thing I know to do is to save the game, before you use it.

About the crashing, does it also happen when you go to the military advisor by going the the manual way? Eg. Advisor Button -> Military Advisor.

A few more questions...

Why is this granary not functioning?

Spoiler :

The granary functions perfectly well in Athens, which has the same amount of population. But why doesn't it work in Delphi? (The city that is currently selected)?

Also, in the same picture there is one red coin on the barracks, library granary, and aqueduct. And two on the university. This is how much gold per turn the city improvement costs, right?

When a unit is fortified in marshes, does it have a chance of dying from diseases, like jungles?

What is the chance of a fighter intercepting a bomber when it is within range and on air superiority?

Can a fighter intercept bombers even if it is not on air superiority?

A few more questions...

Spoiler :

The granary functions perfectly well in Athens, which has the same amount of population. But why doesn't it work in Delphi? (The city that is currently selected)?

Also, in the same picture there is one red coin on the barracks, library granary, and aqueduct. And two on the university. This is how much gold per turn the city improvement costs, right?

When a unit is fortified in marshes, does it have a chance of dying from diseases, like jungles?

What is the chance of a fighter intercepting a bomber when it is within range and on air superiority?

Can a fighter intercept bombers even if it is not on air superiority?
The Granary - The line doesn't show until it's half full.
The Red Coins - Yes.
The Marshes - IIRC, Yes.
The Chance - ooh, can't remember. Someone else. :mischief: I think it's about 20%??
Last Q - No.

Just to add to Keroro's answer, when you grow from 12 to 13 the granary had 20 food but it will not show as half full until you get to 30 food. (In pre C3C versions the granary would not even give you the granary food carry over so you would have to start with an empty food box when going from size 6 to 7 and from size 12 to 13.)

Edit: Don't worry about the Mongols. They're not really important to this.

Do peace treaties expire? I thought they were perpetual until war was declared?

If I do an overt hostile act (capture a worker, destroy an improvement etc) and they declare on me, do I get the war benefit for happiness as if it were unprovoked agression?

Do peace treaties expire? I thought they were perpetual until war was declared?

Perhaps "expire" was a bad term to use. I didn't mean that the PT would expire and we would automatically go back to war. When you make peace, there's a 20-turn period that counts down. It's not required that you renegotiate them to keep them alive, but I have had the AI come to me to renegotiate PTs at the end of the 20 turns. Does that clarify anything?

If I do an overt hostile act (capture a worker, destroy an improvement etc) and they declare on me, do I get the war benefit for happiness as if it were unprovoked agression?

I suspect that before you do this, you'll get a warning from your advisor saying that it would cause war. IOW, no, you would not get war happiness because you would be the aggressor. I suspect that this would be just like attacking without a proper DOW.

Yes there is a problem with the F3 crashing. It tends to only occur on very large maps. The only thing I know to do is to save the game, before you use it.
I"ve only played thus far on standard maps and have had this problem in two consecutive games. And in answer to Aceman, no, it seems to work okay when clicking advisors button then Military advisor. Although it doesn't always crash with the F3 key, either, so it's a little hard to pin down a pattern.

Of course, saving to a temp file before using it seems to prevent it from crashing:rolleyes: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom