1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Othniel

Othniel fighting for Achsah

No? :hmm: I'm quite sure this isn't true, or at least I've never seen it happen. Certainly citizens can die inside a city if the city is working flood plains, etc. But, I've never heard of a unit dying from disease out in the field. If it's true that units can die, is this a pre-C3C 1.22 deal?

2. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

I'm not sure if you are referring to any type of terrain here but I can confirm that I've had a unit die from disease in jungle not so long ago (C3C 1.22). I've not seen it in marshes so I can't say one way or the other.

3. Othniel

Othniel fighting for Achsah

Yep, I was referring to any type of terrain. That's veeerry interesting that military units can die from disease. It must be a small % chance because I can't recall ever having it happen to me and I typically have lots of units. :D

4. Tone

Yes. I'm afraid that I cannot help with this figure but someone out there can probably step in. The unit was a warrior that I'd placed to protect some workers early in the game. I'd forgotten about him until much, much later he died in the roaded jungle. No problem as I should have disbanded him long before. I can remember someone else posting (Bartleby?) about the time a unit died whilst protecting workers on the border during a conflict.:eek: Much more serious than in my case.

This doesn't resolve the question about disease from swamps though...

5. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

With the disease issue - a unit has to be fortified (rather than just passing time) in the disease causing tile before you have any chance of losing it. And yes, marsh causes disease - I just checked the editor. Also checked on the intercept chance - 50% chance apparently, only 5% against stealth units though.

6. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

Rhetorical question: How come units can die from disease, but not from age?:confused:

7. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Thank you very much to the people who answered my questions. :)

Well, you think about it. In the ancient ages, every turn is 50 years. And because people only lived to 50 and less back then, that would mean that every troop dies every turn. :eek: :D

EDIT: Yeah, I know. People had a shorter life then 50 back then.... But since a turn is 50 years... ;)

8. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I asked a very long time ago about units dying in Marshes, I don't think it was answered dininitively.
    I've had units die a couple of times in Jungle (I don't think it was me who had one die whilst protecting workers; but I have had one die the turn after he was fortified).
    I remember someone said they lost an Army to disease. :eek:

9. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Can't answer that one. :(

Marshes definitely have the disease flag on, and at the same strength as jungles, so units can die. The chance must be very low though. It's dead easy to get round anyway - just don't fortify in disease causing terrain.

Losing an army to disease? Lame. :p

10. watorrey

watorrey Deity

Flood Plains have the disease flag as well but i never heard any reports of units dying on flood plains. That flag is for the city to lose population due to disease when worked by a citizen. The units dying in a jungle *could* be hardcoded and separate from the flag in the editor. *If* that's the case, I doubt that they programed marshes for units to die as well.

11. cometflash

cometflash Prince

If the FP costs 200, and the Palace costs 100, how come it takes twice as much turns to build the Palace? Also sometimes I'm almost finishing a wonder, and somebody finishes first, so I switch to Palace, and I notice that when I switch to another GW later, I lose shields. :mad:

12. Tone

The simple answer is that the palace doesn't cost 100 shields. Yes, I know what it says in the civilopedia but it's wrong.

The cost of the palace is determined by the map size and the number of cities that you have. See this post for more details.

13. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

From the article you posted, Tone...

Shouldn't the Palace in the civilopedia be saying 300 shields, then.

14. Tone

Well if I had my way it would say that the cost is variable, depending upon the size of your empire.

The short answer is I don't know why it says 100 but maybe it is linked to the formula that uses a base value of 100. 100 is the value set as default in the editor.

15. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I would say that too. But it could be a certain amount of shields in the civilopedia to not confuse new players. But I don't think it would confuse people.

OK, Maybe the minimum cost of a palace was 100 in vanilla and they changed it to 300, but forgot to change it in the editor and civilopedia. That is very unlikely, of course.

16. cometflash

cometflash Prince

I got gold edition, and I'm playing PTW, in the editor also say 100 shields. I was trying to do a palace jump, because I start it near by lots of deserted tiles. I can see why some of you said to have to do with the size of the empire, as the more cities I settle, the more turns the palace is requiring. I guess the more cities I build having the Palace pre building, the more shields I'm losing then.

17. Tone

How do I calculate the ratings of an army. A cav army with four units is not actually 6.3.4, right?

Also do the Pentagon and the Military Acadamy affect this strength rating?

18. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Yes, they do. From The Basics of Armies:

Movement should be the move of the slowest +1.

19. Tone

Thanks, Aabra!

So, my cav armies might be OK against enemy infantry as long as the terrain is not too much in favour of the defender. Now if I can just get another MGL to rush the Acadamy...

20. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

:eek: I've been loosing fortified veteran Infantry to veteran cavs all day now. And it's really getting annoying.

I checked the Combat Calculator and it's less than 10% that the vet cavs would win. So much for luck. :sad:

Edit: In other words, I think you'll be alright. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.