Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Civ III it is mainly about corruption. An inland capital will reduce corruption more effectivley in the surrounding cities than one on coast. Especially with RCP in Vanilla and PTW, where it makes quite a difference if you have only 5 cities of rank 1, or if you have 8. But even in C3C I think it would be desirable to have the Palace somewhere in the center and not on one extreme end of your empire.

Ok, that makes sense.

On the subject of Civ Assist 2 (I know it belongs in the Civ Assist topic, I posted there and didn't get much concrete help-no offense to the kind souls that responded over there) can anyone offer me assitance on getting it to run properly. I installed it and can manually load a save and see alerts from the turn in question in game, but I can't get it to automatically recognize my save or to move ahead after the turn ends. I can save each turn and manually load, but I suspect there's a better way to use it.
Any thoughts, please?

Re: coastal capital, I suppose since your capital has no corruption/waste and a coastal capital has many worked tiles that can't be improved and don't produce shields you end up wasting your no corruption situation (in addition to what Lord Em said)

Yep, itd be great if we could improve sea tiles, but that doesnt look to be happening anytime soon in CivIII.

Yep, itd be great if we could improve sea tiles, but that doesnt look to be happening anytime soon in CivIII.
Apart from Harbours, Commercial Docks and Offshore Platforms? ;) Well OK, I rarely use the last two but I thought that I'd mention them anyway.

I know that coastal cities can be limited production but these can be great for research due to the commerce that every sea tile has. I just use the land tiles early on to get key research structures up (lib, harbour, market, aqueduct and uni) and then hand over the shared land tiles to the growing high production cities. I agree that I like my capital away from the coast as the number of core cities is otherwise reduced but coastal cities in the core are pretty useful if your game is not going to involve very quick conquest.

Apart from Harbours, Commercial Docks and Offshore Platforms? ;) .

OK, I was imprecise. Coast tiles can't be improved to provide improved shield and gold production until late in the game, and then only with a big investment in shields, significant upkeep and pollution (Whew :blush:)

Any input on my tsuris with CivAssist?

You know that you just leave it running while you play right? The icon runs in the upper left corner. However, it is always 1 turn behind the game.

From what you said, it seemed to me that you were ending the program rather than just minimizing it after each turn.

oh and what is "tsuris"? I like new words

OK, I was imprecise. Coast tiles can't be improved to provide improved shield and gold production until late in the game, and then only with a big investment in shields, significant upkeep and pollution (Whew :blush:)
I think that you covered it. :lol: I was in part trying to make the point that sea tiles are already high in commerce. They are as good as a roaded riverside tile.
(I googled tsuris just out of curiosity.)

I doubt that I can help. I had massive problems when I tried to get it working on my new computer that has Vista. I attach a screenshot of my options just in case that helps. The 'On lookout' seems pretty important to me. Have you got that showing?

Attachments

• caii.jpg
    caii.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 111
I'm running XP.
Let me know if I'm doing it right:
I start Civ Assist 2. It reads "manual" where the posted screenie shows "on lookout" so use "pick" to open the game save I want to play.
I start the game and load the save. I hit the windows keyboard button so I can see CA and select "show alerts" and go back to the game.
In game I can see the alerts box and interact with it (go to cities by clicking the alert in question). The trouble comes when the turn finishes, the alerts don't change.
I can save at the start of a turn, go out to the main CA screen and open the new save, show alerts and go back to the game but I assume there's a way to have CA recheck/renew the alerts as the game progresses.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact I'm playing C3 Complete which is located in Atari rather than Firaxis folder. Tone, in your screenie, the Game Files Path is blank, in mine it has the C/programfile/Atari/Civ3Complete/.../saves/auto filled in. Would that mess up CA?
Also, my current game is using Patch Suggestions Lite mod with some minor tweaks. That shouldn't mess it up, should it?
CA seems very useful, I'd love to be able to use it.

I can't speak Yiddish, but individual words are very expressive. Now I'm getting all farklemt (depressed, distraught; choked up, extremely emotional, on the verge of tears; grieving)

Tone, in your screenie, the Game Files Path is blank, in mine it has the C/programfile/Atari/Civ3Complete/.../saves/auto filled in. Would that mess up CA?
If you are asking me, then you are asking the wrong person! However I've never bothered using that as it says that it should only be set if the game is not installed. Why not make a note of the path and then delete it. You never know, it might work and if it doesn't you can always paste the path back in again.

BTW the way you are using it sounds the same as me. Sometimes I'll start civ first and then open up CAII but it never seems to make a difference.

Splunge, try hitting the "show alerts" tab, that sometimes helps Ca2 to 'remember' to update each turn. Also, load CivAssist 2 up before starting the game up and it should load the most recent autosave. Hope some of that helps.

Thanks for the replies. I have been loading CA up first, but have loaded from the regular save, not the auto. I'll try it.
I believe I have show alerts on, as I see the alerts in game.

I'm tempted to try installing the game into a new Firaxis folder or renaming Atari folder Firaxis. Can anyone PM or post the file path C3C saves are in with a regular, not Civ 3 Complete install? I've gotten messed up before with mod installs that want to go to Firaxis and need to be moved.

I have been loading CA up first, but have loaded from the regular save, not the auto.
I load up from my last manual save but not to CAII. I just let CAII recognise what is happening.

Can anyone PM or post the file path C3C saves are in with a regular, not Civ 3 Complete install?
Mine is C:\Program Files\Infrogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Saves. I do use subfolders within this area and CAII always finds them.

Did you try my other suggestion BTW?

I am also using Civ 3 Complete, loaded into the default folder. Am Using Civ Assist II (running concurrently) and find that I have to tell it to re-load my saves during the turn if I want a current World Map on CAII.

However, the CAII Game Alerts update automatically when I save a game.

I think CivAssist II gets the autosav file automatically at end of turn. IOW, it's not a problem for me. :)

So do you have something in the Games File Path or is it blank, EMan?

Interesting! So, splunge, try CAII with the Games File Path blank!

I'm at work, so haven't yet had a chance to try it with the path deleted, as you sagely suggested earlier, Tone.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll post from home how it worked out if RL doesn't keep me off the game.

I got a new computer recently with Vista but had XP on the other one

Heres the Problem:

I downloaded Civ Assist 1 & 2... & I also downloaded the .Net thingymgig
but it gives me an error & I dont know what to do... I tried reinstalling it & repairing it but it just doesn't work... but the Civ Assist 1 works perfectly but it isn't as good as civ assit 2

What should I do... and how can I fix this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom