Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Can't you simply walk a land unit with your Numpad into a ship lying next to the shore?

I am about to give up on this and go back to Civ II. All of this is pretty advanced. I understand the basic moves but they don't seem to work. I am unable to move any unit onto a galley. I cannot give a worker any order. I have no control over my civilization.

:scan: No, just no. Start taking screenshots and we'll guide you step by step.

Can't you simply walk a land unit with your Numpad into a ship lying next to the shore?

Nope. I've tried position near shore, in the city, everything. Nothing works. What am I missing. Why is it so different and more difficult than Civ II?

It shouldn't be, civIII's supposed to be very beginner-friendly.

maybe it's a Curragh or a mod that has edited the Galley .

I don't think civIIIguy is playing anything other than unmodded vanilla.

I'd guessed as much. Now, please, post some screenshots and we'll get around to guiding you a bit.

It's been a while since I played Civ 3, but I would have sworn the only ships you can load units onto was called a Transport. Are you guys sure about the galley, etc.?

Nope. I've tried position near shore, in the city, everything. Nothing works. What am I missing. Why is it so different and more difficult than Civ II?
Are you able to walk around with your units?
If so, move a ship (a galley can transport, a curragh can not) next to your city. Then 'walk' your unit onto the ship, as if the ship were another piece of land.
The unit is now on the ship.
Use the numpad on the keyboard to move around (the numbers on the right side of the keyboard).
You can also click on a unit and then click on the map to tell him where to go. This is not preferred though.

I just updated CivIII to v1.29f. In the Player Setup section, there are four Rules with which I'm unfamiliar. Can someone explain these options?

1. Culturally Linked Start Locations
2. Respawn AI Players
3. Preserve Random Seed
4. Accelerated Production.

Anything would be helpful. TIA for replies.

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ III - Quick Answers thread.

'Culturally linked start locations' means that civs in the same cultural group (American, Mesopotamian, European, Far East, Mediterranean/Græcorroman) start as neighbours instead of all being scattered at random.
'Respawn AI players' means that if you kill the AIs early on they'll respawn. You can conquer Tenochtitlan several times!
'Preserve Random Seed' IIRC, means that you can't replay turns and get different combat results. They'll be played out no matter what.
'Accelerated production' means exactly that, everything is produced faster.

The last two are on the civilopædia for sure.

Thanks. I'll have to see how a couple of these work out.

'Culturally linked start locations' means that civs in the same cultural group (American, Mesopotamian, European, Far East, Mediterranean/Græcorroman) start as neighbours instead of all being scattered at random.
'Respawn AI players' means that if you kill the AIs early on they'll respawn. You can conquer Tenochtitlan several times!
'Preserve Random Seed' IIRC, means that you can't replay turns and get different combat results. They'll be played out no matter what.
'Accelerated production' means exactly that, everything is produced faster.

The last two are on the civilopædia for sure.

IIRC; The 'cultural linked' option is broken if you have few Civilizations as random. They will automatically be filled with the 'american' civs if you have this ticked on.
So if you select to play with 4 random civs, they will automatically be the maya, america, aztec and inca.

If you play with 12, then they will be as the option is supposed to work. (you get the america's, and 8 others that will be grouped together.)

So watch out.

Who ever plays against only four other civs? Unless you're playing in Hexette, it's simply immoral.

I'm still playing a "small" world, so I get 5 rivals. But with the update I might play a Tiny world one (3 rivals) just to get used to the changes.

Naaaah, get Conquests and start play a 12/16-civ map. You'll have to get used to resource wars sooner or later.

Who ever plays against only four other civs? Unless you're playing in Hexette, it's simply immoral.

the point was that if you have Cultural Linked 'on' you ALWAYS get at least the (Native) America civs (I forgot the Iroquois).
So even if you play with 12 or 16 civs like you said, you still get the America-civs and then the rest.

I can imagine it's getting tiresome to sack Tenochtitlan for the bazillionth time and I sometimes wonder what a 3-Man Chariot looks like.

Top Bottom