1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

Quick Questions & "Newbie" Questions

You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Got a 'newbie' question?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask!

Lots of people are willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

(If you really want the previous thread, it's here.)

2. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

There are plenty of tiles which will come out as giving 3 commerce, but this will happen no matter if you are a Dem or Rep. Roaded riverside tiles or coastal tiles for instance will normally give 2 commerce (Monarchy, Despo, etc), but with the commerce bonus of Dem/Rep this will then come out as 3.

3. azzaron

azzaron Chieftain

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I posted in your thread azzaron. A short version at least.

5. Omni314

Omni314 Chieftain

oooh shiny new thread,

anyway, my question; I have some fighters on a carrier they are doing 'air supiriority', I then move the carrier, are the fighters still doing their thing,

thanks in advance

6. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Yup! Still on AS. Bombers must be activated again after the carrier moved though.

:)

7. SleeperLv

SleeperLv Chieftain

MMM... nah that wont be the case here. I read it somewhere in the civiliopedia at democracy description i think. It was plain text which said its 3 commerce, nothing that i thought out myself. Well thanks anyway.

Ehhh, ever since i found out the thing about democracy, i'm sticking with republic. I'm now playing a diplo game with only 6 cities on standart map(most have like 10-15 cities) and i'm tech leader :D But i'm only like 1-2 teches ahead. Each new discovery has a chance to pop SGL and i can sell new tech to civs for additional money. If i change to democracy i will waste like 8 turns or so and lose tech lead. Thats just too big price to pay. If i'm not tech leader, i cant do much enough to impress other civs, economy will be ruined(cos i cant sell teches anymore), and might even be late on UN. So those 8 turns are just too big of a price.... I dont know in fast-tech games(space ship with bigger empire), althou suspect same, but in diplo games democracy isnt an option, at least for non-religious civs... so if its only thing you can think where it would be good i can pretty much tell you that by my expirience - its not an option:p If you do it, it might just cost you game!

8. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

It is too bad that the later governments are really not worth it in the cost/benefit analysis. If Democracy had huge benefits, like 4 commerce per tile or free upkeep on courts and police stations or significantly reduced corruption. A wonder I miss from Civ2, the Statue of Liberty which gave you a short anarchy, would be needed to help convince me, even with the extra benefits. Communism is another that with extra benefits might be worth it. Right now, I'll stick with Republic or Monarchy.

9. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Is there any way to fix Coastal fortresses, or am I right in assuming that it's a code problem?

The reason I ask is because a scenario I play gives the CF some other bonuses, but I'm reluctant to construct it a workaround hasn't been found.

10. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

It's a coding issue.

11. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon Chieftain

Nuts.

Thanks, Turner.

12. Conquerer

Conquerer Chieftain

Hello! I no this is a nub question, but how do I stack units? I have tried in so many ways, but can not figure it out! If some one will help me that would be awsome!

Conquerer

13. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Just move a stack onto a tile that has another stack. They will be added. If you are really talking about moving them in unison, then use control J, if you have Conquest.

14. SleeperLv

SleeperLv Chieftain

What civ version do you use? Civ 3, Play the world or Civ 3 Conquests? In ptw and c3c there should be button above right-lower corner panel. In conquests i use "x" to move stack and "ctrl+x" to move same unit type in the stack only. In ptw dont remember, and in standart version(or vanilla how ppl like to call it) i dont think you can, i think you have to move units one-by-one:( But i might have been playing old version or something so who knows. Not that i played it yesterday and not too many times too:)

15. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

<j> will move stacks of like units, (but it has got to be Vanilla 1.29f.) I think it might be the same for PTW.

16. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

In Conquests, X and J move all units in a stack, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-J move the same type of units within a stack.

17. SleeperLv

SleeperLv Chieftain

btw why would you push "j" instead of "x"??? x is near "a" for workers to automate, z for zoom, f1, escape, near ctrl to move units of same type, and you can keep your thumb on the spacebar to end turn. I think it has like 1 million reasons why to use x, why use j?:D When i saw it first time in the game, i thought wtheck? Why they made two buttons? And who will use the "j" one anyway lol;D

18. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator

When they originally put stacked movement into Civ3, in one of the patches, they chose the "J" key for some reason.

When they released the expansion packs (PTW and C3C), they made the primary stack-function key "X". But they kept the "J" functionality to help all of us Vanilla players who were already used to using that key. :)

19. SleeperLv

SleeperLv Chieftain

Ahhh, i had a suspision about something like that... hehe. To think of that its kinda nice from sid mayer or whoever thought of that thing...

20. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

My j-button has some sort of dot on it so you can feel where to put your hand without looking.