Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Turner

Deity
Retired Moderator

Quick Questions & "Newbie" Questions

You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Got a 'newbie' question?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask!

Lots of people are willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

(If you really want the previous thread, it's here.)

SleeperLV said:
Btw anyone has any idea where from i remember that Democracy had 3 gold instead of republic 2 per square with road?

There are plenty of tiles which will come out as giving 3 commerce, but this will happen no matter if you are a Dem or Rep. Roaded riverside tiles or coastal tiles for instance will normally give 2 commerce (Monarchy, Despo, etc), but with the commerce bonus of Dem/Rep this will then come out as 3.

oooh shiny new thread,

anyway, my question; I have some fighters on a carrier they are doing 'air supiriority', I then move the carrier, are the fighters still doing their thing,

thanks in advance

Yup! Still on AS. Bombers must be activated again after the carrier moved though.

:)

There are plenty of tiles which will come out as giving 3 commerce, but this will happen no matter if you are a Dem or Rep. Roaded riverside tiles or coastal tiles for instance will normally give 2 commerce (Monarchy, Despo, etc), but with the commerce bonus of Dem/Rep this will then come out as 3.

MMM... nah that wont be the case here. I read it somewhere in the civiliopedia at democracy description i think. It was plain text which said its 3 commerce, nothing that i thought out myself. Well thanks anyway.

I can see how Democracry *might* work out as beneficial in some fast-tech paced games. Space or diplo, maybe... but I wouldn't bet on it. However, even as religious, I don't see Democracy as useful in any 20k game I can think of. Come to think of it, I've only gone Democratic once, when I played as Babylon to see how I would handle war weariness, and I've only gone to Monarchy for very brief periods in 20k games. In other words...

STICK WITH THE REPUBLIC

Ehhh, ever since i found out the thing about democracy, i'm sticking with republic. I'm now playing a diplo game with only 6 cities on standart map(most have like 10-15 cities) and i'm tech leader :D But i'm only like 1-2 teches ahead. Each new discovery has a chance to pop SGL and i can sell new tech to civs for additional money. If i change to democracy i will waste like 8 turns or so and lose tech lead. Thats just too big price to pay. If i'm not tech leader, i cant do much enough to impress other civs, economy will be ruined(cos i cant sell teches anymore), and might even be late on UN. So those 8 turns are just too big of a price.... I dont know in fast-tech games(space ship with bigger empire), althou suspect same, but in diplo games democracy isnt an option, at least for non-religious civs... so if its only thing you can think where it would be good i can pretty much tell you that by my expirience - its not an option:p If you do it, it might just cost you game!

It is too bad that the later governments are really not worth it in the cost/benefit analysis. If Democracy had huge benefits, like 4 commerce per tile or free upkeep on courts and police stations or significantly reduced corruption. A wonder I miss from Civ2, the Statue of Liberty which gave you a short anarchy, would be needed to help convince me, even with the extra benefits. Communism is another that with extra benefits might be worth it. Right now, I'll stick with Republic or Monarchy.

Is there any way to fix Coastal fortresses, or am I right in assuming that it's a code problem?

The reason I ask is because a scenario I play gives the CF some other bonuses, but I'm reluctant to construct it a workaround hasn't been found.

Is there any way to fix Coastal fortresses, or am I right in assuming that it's a code problem?

The reason I ask is because a scenario I play gives the CF some other bonuses, but I'm reluctant to construct it a workaround hasn't been found.

It's a coding issue.

Hello! I no this is a nub question, but how do I stack units? I have tried in so many ways, but can not figure it out! If some one will help me that would be awsome!

Conquerer

Just move a stack onto a tile that has another stack. They will be added. If you are really talking about moving them in unison, then use control J, if you have Conquest.

Hello! I no this is a nub question, but how do I stack units? I have tried in so many ways, but can not figure it out! If some one will help me that would be awsome!

Conquerer

What civ version do you use? Civ 3, Play the world or Civ 3 Conquests? In ptw and c3c there should be button above right-lower corner panel. In conquests i use "x" to move stack and "ctrl+x" to move same unit type in the stack only. In ptw dont remember, and in standart version(or vanilla how ppl like to call it) i dont think you can, i think you have to move units one-by-one:( But i might have been playing old version or something so who knows. Not that i played it yesterday and not too many times too:)

In Conquests, X and J move all units in a stack, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-J move the same type of units within a stack.

btw why would you push "j" instead of "x"??? x is near "a" for workers to automate, z for zoom, f1, escape, near ctrl to move units of same type, and you can keep your thumb on the spacebar to end turn. I think it has like 1 million reasons why to use x, why use j?:D When i saw it first time in the game, i thought wtheck? Why they made two buttons? And who will use the "j" one anyway lol;D

btw why would you push "j" instead of "x"??? x is near "a" for workers to automate, z for zoom, f1, escape, near ctrl to move units of same type, and you can keep your thumb on the spacebar to end turn. I think it has like 1 million reasons why to use x, why use j?:D When i saw it first time in the game, i thought wtheck? Why they made two buttons? And who will use the "j" one anyway lol;D

When they originally put stacked movement into Civ3, in one of the patches, they chose the "J" key for some reason.

When they released the expansion packs (PTW and C3C), they made the primary stack-function key "X". But they kept the "J" functionality to help all of us Vanilla players who were already used to using that key. :)

Ahhh, i had a suspision about something like that... hehe. To think of that its kinda nice from sid mayer or whoever thought of that thing...

Top Bottom