Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I'm not sure but in my opinion You can get to build it in your city until obsolete.

In feudalism (in diety level), when I try to sabotage production, only half the shields of the city go away. Does that increase with veteran and expert spy experience when I sabotage production in communism or fascism?

Wrong. Only Culture is lost or more precoisely not gained. Tourism and the main effect of wonders is not touched by capture. Maybe the 5 turn timer for SoZ and Knights Templar is reset, i did not investigate that any further.

I remembered a time when I captured an enemy city that had the colossus yet I got no extra gold. Now that you say this I realize that the memory of colossus not giving me extra gold that I had based my statement on was correct, however, at the time I had captured the Persian capital, I had already researched flight so colossus was outdated. Thanks for the help.

1 I had to dump my copy of Civ Assist as it started performing in a buggy way. Can someone tell me where I can download it again?

2 Is there anything aside from Civ Assist that regular players use?

3 Long story, short question. I was playing the Romans on a small continents map (I forgot to click Pangea) at Emperor level. I got the Statue of Zeus and rushed both the Germans and the Egyptians into oblivion, becoming sole master of my continent. Coming into the Industrial Age I was a few techs behind the Inca and Babylonians so I did my usual thing of racing to build the Theory of Evolution and getting two free techs to catch up. Everything was going to plan. I got a pre-build going in Rome and checked to see how far the Baylonians were from completion in Elippi. They still had 22 turns to go when I researched Scientific Method while I had cunningly only 9 left once I switched from building an Army (I had the Pentagon already) - but I wasn't allowed to switch! Bummer! :( I quit in disgust!! :cry: So, was that just a glitch or can you not use building an Army as a pre-build?

Maybe the 5 turn timer for SoZ and Knights Templar is reset, i did not investigate that any further.

I remember I once captured the SoZ and got an Ancient Cavalry the next turn. So I assume the counter is not reset.

1 I had to dump my copy of Civ Assist as it started performing in a buggy way. Can someone tell me where I can download it again?

It's in the Utility Programs subforum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=118540

I still use it on Windows 7 without any problem. Haven't tried on Windows 8.

I remeber that 2 years ago ainwood did some work on it, updating it to the new Microsoft .NET Framework and Windows 7, but I don't know what became of that project. Looks like it wasn't finished back then. The last message from ainwood was in Dec 2013:
For info, I am on holiday away from my pc, and can't work on this at the moment.
So I'm still using the last version from 2006.

They still had 22 turns to go when I researched Scientific Method while I had cunningly only 9 left once I switched from building an Army (I had the Pentagon already) - but I wasn't allowed to switch! Bummer! :( I quit in disgust!! :cry: So, was that just a glitch or can you not use building an Army as a pre-build?

Sure, an Army can be used as a wonder pre-build. But you have to be careful: an Army can be rushed (using cash, forest chops, disbanding units, etc.), while wonders cannot. So most probably in your case something like this happened: you cut down a forest in the near vicinity or you disbanded a unit in that city, and the shields from that went into the Army. After that the game prevents you from switching to a wonder, because "tainted shields" (= shields from cash-rush, pop-rush, forest chop or unit disbanding) are forbidden for wonders... :D

snip

I remeber that 2 years ago ainwood did some work on it, updating it to the new Microsoft .NET Framework and Windows 7, but I don't know what became of that project. Looks like it wasn't finished back then. The last message from ainwood was in Dec 2013:

So I'm still using the last version from 2006.

Ah, thanks Lanzelot.

Sure, an Army can be used as a wonder pre-build. But you have to be careful: an Army can be rushed (using cash, forest chops, disbanding units, etc.), while wonders cannot. So most probably in your case something like this happened: you cut down a forest in the near vicinity or you disbanded a unit in that city, and the shields from that went into the Army. After that the game prevents you from switching to a wonder, because "tainted shields" (= shields from cash-rush, pop-rush, forest chop or unit disbanding) are forbidden for wonders... :D
Aarrggghhhh!!!!!! :cry: This is what happened!!! Damn everything to blue blazes!!

Er, sorry about that :). Thanks again Lanzelot. I wasn't even trying to rush the Army, just expanding Rome's food source. That was building up to be an awesome game too, even though I would have had to put to sea to continue my warmongering.

For this reason it is better to use the Palace as pre-build... ;) The Palace cannot be rushed either, so shields from forest chops will simply get re-routed into neighboring cities...

For this reason it is better to use the Palace as pre-build... ;) The Palace cannot be rushed either, so shields from forest chops will simply get re-routed into neighboring cities...

But you can't do that in the capital coz there is already a palace there, innit? Didn't know that about forest chops going to other cities. Good to know that one.

I also use CRp MapStat. It doesn't give quite as much information, but it pops up each turn for me, while CivAssist2 doesn't, and it runs nicely on my old laptop. I often have both going at the same time on my desktop.

I remeber that 2 years ago ainwood did some work on it, updating it to the new Microsoft .NET Framework and Windows 7, but I don't know what became of that project. Looks like it wasn't finished back then.
Just FTR, I installed the most recent version of CAII from that subforum (ver. 2.0.5083) on a Win8.1 box a couple of months back (along with C3C), making sure not to install either program in the C:\ProgramFiles(x86) directory. Both programs seem to be working as expected* -- now I just need to get on with improving my civ-skillz, so that 'Dora and Hannibal don't kick my sorry Aztec-Emperor butt again :cry:

*In other news, regarding 'Civ3(In)Complete' installations missing the Civilization3X.exe file (for PtW) (from GamersGate -- may also apply to Steam). I wrote to GG Tech-Support, but got a fairly stock reply, suggesting that the .exe may have been corrupted (just that one file, with no others affected, in both my installations :hmm: ) and advising me to try
  • reinstalling everything (I think the recent install on the new machine counts...)
  • making sure that AV software/ firewalls was deactivated, and/or couldn't interfere with installation (Vanilla and C3C both installed and run fine, on both machines)
  • making sure that I had Admin privileges (I do, on both machines)
  • in another location than the default C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\... (doesn't apply to WinXP, and I used the D-drive on the Win8.1 box)
  • ...and if that didn't get me the .exe (it didn't), then I should contact 'the publisher', who originally supplied GG with the installation package (presumably Firaxis, although the email didn't name a company)
So that was a big help.

I'm thinking about
  1. copying the Vanilla .exe and .bic into the PtW subdirectory
  2. renaming the copied .exe (e.g. 'Civ3 FaketheWorld.exe')
  3. modding the .bic to add the PtW-civs, improvements and units
    • (it would be much easier if I could simply resave the Civilization3X.bix as a .bic, but I'm not sure whether the Conquests Editor will do that...)
... so that I end up with a Vanilla-version that plays a bit more like PtW -- as opposed to running the Civ3X.bix through the Civ3Conquests.exe, which gives a Conquests game (with respect to e.g. Corruption, Barb-behaviour and Armies) that plays using the PtW-ruleset.

Not sure if that's even feasible; if it is, it still wouldn't be PtW-proper (renaming only for e*-units, no multiplayer, possibly no outposts/airfields/radar towers), and I still wouldn't be able to play GotMs, but it would be better than nothing.

Not sure if that's even feasible;

I expect it isn't. The later executables always had some kind of "backward compatibility mode" that allowed earlier .sav files being loaded and played (although under different rules). But the earlier executables will certainly not be able to load a later .sav file... So I doubt that the Vanilla .exe will be able to cope with PtW .sav/resource/artwork files.

I expect it isn't. The later executables always had some kind of "backward compatibility mode" that allowed earlier .sav files being loaded and played (although under different rules). But the earlier executables will certainly not be able to load a later .sav file... So I doubt that the Vanilla .exe will be able to cope with PtW .sav/resource/artwork files.
I wasn't suggesting or expecting that my hypothetical Vanilla-mod would be able to load .savs generated by a genuine PtW1.27 .exe -- hence "wouldn't be able to play GotMs" ;) -- but it shouldn't have any problems with the graphics and sound-files -- these are just .txt, .pcx, .flc, .wav(?), .etc files, aren't they, like Vanilla already uses? Although I would need to make sure that the paths for any allowable units/buildings/improvements pointed to the right places...
If it's only the exe file that you're having a problem with then I think I can upload mine.
I appreciate that offer, but I'm not sure that would be allowed under CFC rules.

Besides, it's not just me, and not even just CFC-users -- the lack of Vanilla/PtW .exes applies to every Civ3Complete player (i.e. all 5 of us? all 10? :lol: ) who downloaded the game from Steam, GamersGate, and likely other download-only software retail-sites. As noted above, GG claims to be selling 'as is' the version that was provided by 'the publisher', which means that the decision to remove the earlier-version .exe(s) was not made by GG (as I had thought), but rather -- presumably -- by someone at 2K Games (who list Civ3Complete in their catalogue, but not Conquests, PtW or Vanilla alone; whereas Firaxis list all three versions singly, but not 'Complete').

I wasn't suggesting or expecting that my hypothetical Vanilla-mod would be able to load .savs generated by a genuine PtW1.27 .exe -- hence "wouldn't be able to play GotMs" ;) -- but it shouldn't have any problems with the graphics and sound-files -- these are just .txt, .pcx, .flc, .wav(?), .etc files, aren't they, like Vanilla already uses? Although I would need to make sure that the paths for any allowable units/buildings/improvements pointed to the right places...
The Vanilla exe looks for graphics and sounds only in the ...\Art and ...\Scenarios directories. The PtW exe looks there and additionally in the ...\Civ3PtW\Art, ...\Civ3PtW\Extras and ...\Civ3PtW\Scenarios directories, I assume?!

If it's only the exe file that you're having a problem with then I think I can upload mine.

I appreciate that offer, but I'm not sure that would be allowed under CFC rules.

It might not violate the CFC rules, but it would not solve the problem: remember, you need a PtW exe that does not ask for a CD being in the CD drive. There is an official (= legal, provided by Firaxis) No-CD version of the C3C exe that can be downloaded from the PCGames Magazine homepage, but as far as I know no official No-CD version of the PtW exe.

(I'm using the PCGames exe for quite a few years now, simply to preserve my CDs and as I'm too lazy to always put the CDs in... The background story of it is: a couple of years ago PCGames bought a C3C license from Firaxis/2K Games so they could resell it to the readers of their magazine. It was burned on a special CD that shipped with the magazine. This was at a time, when Firaxis was still publishing patches for the Civ3 series. Unfortunately Firaxis goofed up with that PCGames CD, and once people started installing the most recent patches into their installation, the game would no longer recognize the PCGames CD as "valid" and refused to start... PCGames and their customers were not amused, and Firaxis was forced to provide a No-CD exe that could be installed into the PCGames version. Unfortunately no PtW exe in that edition either... Perhaps they re-used that edition now for the Steam and GamersGate editions and that's the reason why these don't have the PtW exe either...?! :D)

Top Bottom