1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Hmm, I never ran into that, but I do not build it at the capitol. Since I have it set to produce leaders, I tend to move it out a bit. I will need to check on that and get back to you.

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Darski - Upload the biq, if you don't mind.

3. darski

darski Regent in Training

I can do that later today but I have really, really changed it.

Have a busy morning on hand :lol:

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I won't be able to look at it until Sunday anyways, but there are a lot of people here who could probably look at it as soon as you u/l it and see what's going on.

5. IvanDolvich2

IvanDolvich2 Order of Lenin

I've been learning alot after participating in my first COTM. I have seen that most of the really competent player do a REX to conquest and then ICS like crazy.

My question is what is a good number for core cities (spaced better to use 12 tiles or more if you are going to sanitation) and then the start of ICS spam.

I usually play on large maps. I know that this is really a question of corruption: how many semi-productive cities (say to the 40%) range before I reach totally corrupt.
    Is this question better posed in the strategy forum?

Thanks

6. Optional

Optional Deity

Yes, I think so.
    I think that better players that go for quick conquest or domination indeed space very tightly. I thought I noticed that as well when I played a gotm a few months back. I'm not sure if those players are building much else besides a barracks in their towns; maybe not, and then a tight build is probably the way to go, for happiness and defendability.
    If you're going for a different type of win, spaceship or diplo or so, then this would change things, as improvements would become more attractive, and they're more effective in bigger towns.
    Large maps I don't play, and my opponants often settle right up against my capital straight away, so I can't really say much about the ideal settlement pattern with regards to corruption. Well, if I can manage it, I like a wide first ring, and my FP close second ring, preferably with a bit of space around it as well. Beyond that part of my empire I like it tighter.

7. IvanDolvich2

I'll move my question to the strategy forum and start a new thread.

What I did notice is that this tactic was used for all win types. Dom and Conquest of course and also diplo and space. If your dominate the rest of the world, you can chose your victory condition seems to be the lesson.

8. IvanDolvich2

I'm still trying to get the full effects of Corruption in C3C.
    Quick Question: if I build a new city in my core to use up a few unused tiles, does it cause worse corruption on the edge of my core? (the semi-corrupt that I can get 2-4 shields per turn out of)

Thanks

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Alexman has an article in the War Academy on corruption. C3C is affected by distance corruption. So, if you plant a a town in the core to use a few tiles, you will increase the corruption in towns that are now pushed farther back from the core.

Basically the ring around the capitol is the lowest corruption and needs to be optimally used. A little overlap in the core is not going to hurt. Big spaces with lots of dead or unusable tiles, till Sanitation, means distance corruption hits sooner.

10. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

The new city should affect the corruption of any other city that has a higher rank, i.e. is further away from the capital, by adding a few percent of rank corruption. But don't ask me how much exactly. In any case, you might quite well end up worse by placing that new city than without it.

It is probably only worth it if there are a decent amount, and a decent amout of good tiles available for being worked. For a handful of desert tiles ... rather not.

11. darski

darski Regent in Training

Here we go... It is highly modded for anti corruption and increase in resources. (Not to mention the HE changes)

View attachment BIQ.ZIP

I also have several leader changes - I don't know if that will affect other's dl of the biq.

12. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Did you mention Sanitation because you are able to build Metros (viz. cities with 13+ population) at that point in the Tech Tree? :)

13. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yeah, I was bit rushed. I was saying that, if you place wider than CxxC, you have a bunch of tiles that are not going to be worked until you have Sanitation. I probably will not even have Sanitation.

The so called OCP usually means some dead tiles, even after sanitation as you rarely get to lay them down perfectly.

I tend to not worry about corruption anyway, just turn the place into a farm.

14. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Yeah, I don't worry about corruption either.............However, I am only playing Histographic (HOF) games right now, so when you're managing 511 cities, corruption is not a major consideration! :lol:

15. Tamerlan

Tamerlan Chieftain

Hi! I Russkiy.Ya you misunderstood. What are you discussing?

Sorry for any mistakes I use a translator:)

16. Haeda

Haeda Chieftain

Is Korea a very easy civilization to play as? Because I kind of suck and I'm doing really well with them.

17. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Most nations have something that makes hem playable. The UU of Korea is the Hi'watcha (sp?). It is very handy as it can kill and it can make a leader. There are write ups around on all the nations.

If you are having troubles, you may benefit from checking out the tutorial in my sig.

18. del62

del62 Deity

One of my best games was with Korea, but I had a great start popping a settler early on

19. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

For a research type game, Korea comes as one of the easier ones to play.

20. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

I've asked this before but can not remember how I did it. I am playing on a laptop, sometimes with a desktop screen. When using the desktop screen the graphics are distorted. How do I change this? I remember having to change a 0 to a 1 somewhere.

Can anyone help?

Scratcher