Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

keepres=1 will use the desktop resolution, video mode = xxxx (where xxxx is the horizontal resolution) will force a specific resolution.

Question about starting locations - I am playing on a standard size archipelago map, and I was surprised to find that one of the 4 large islands with good terrain was uninhabited, while the celts got a tiny tundra island (with furs) right next door.

If I used the "play last world" option, would the starting locations and resource locations be the same, or might someone start on the island that is empty in my current game?

what if I got a different selection of opponents? Usually I have it on "random".

I am curious because I got a terrific start, and would like to try again with a closer city build, but wish the other civs had gotten better land to develop.

If you use Play Last World, with no changes, I think you'll get the same opponents, too, even if you had them set for "random." One thing I do is that I make a 4000 BC save before I make any moves. That way, if I wanted to, I could replay a game on the same map, same starting locations, etc.

Edited to add: Sometimes when I've wanted to move up a level, I've used Play Last World to recreate a good map, and I seem to recall that all of the opponent slots are filled in (rather than random) when I do that.

The 4000BC save gets automatically generated, so should always be there if you check the autosaves of a game.

If you use the seednumber and all the original game settings, you still often get something slightly different, but not with 'Play Last World'.
If you use Play Last World, with no changes, I think you'll get the same opponents, too, even if you had them set for "random."
Yes, you'll see their names in the boxes at start-up. You clan click on 'random' again though, to get different ones. But that would lead to different start positions as well, think only of the different start positions for seafaring civs.

Question about starting locations - I am playing on a standard size archipelago map, and I was surprised to find that one of the 4 large islands with good terrain was uninhabited, while the celts got a tiny tundra island (with furs) right next door.

If I used the "play last world" option, would the starting locations and resource locations be the same, or might someone start on the island that is empty in my current game?

The starting positions generator will regularly put in odd starting positions, so I would not be surprised by the Celts location. In addition, on a regular basis, the AI will locate a city at what seems to be a very odd spot, because a future resource is going to appear there. That starting position might have oil or aluminum under it or right next to it that you cannot see early in the game. I have seen that as well, when I was trying to figure out why the Aztecs were in the middle of a desert on the coast. When I researched Refining, I found out why. Two oil resources right next to the starting location.

what if I got a different selection of opponents? Usually I have it on "random".

I am curious because I got a terrific start, and would like to try again with a closer city build, but wish the other civs had gotten better land to develop.

Never feel sorry for the AI. Enjoy your good fortune and figure that the next game, you might be the one on the tundra island, or in the middle of the jungle, or sitting next to an oasis in the middle of a desert. I have hit all three of those.

grumjug said:

As Optional I believe alluded to, it'll depend on if you have the same number of seafaring opponents. If you preselected the same opponents both times, or had the same number of seafraing tribes, then I'd say yes. Otherwise, I'd think things start to differ.

Does the enslave ability increase the chance of enslaving when the combat odds are higher?
The reason I ask, is, I used privateers heavily in my last game and I found barb galleys were very likely to yield a new privateer. It seemed more frequent than when I engage in combat with other ships with more hitpoints and higher defense.

Also: Does the lethal bombard of bombers increase with experience level? I found very infrequent kills with regular bombers, and when a vet did make a kill he almost always promoted to elite, and that elites were my most effective killers (these were against Mech Infantry).

On both questions, only in the respect that if the odds of winning are better with a stronger attacker/more hitpoints. For example, a privateer can't enslave if it loses the battle and sinks. I think elite bombers are no more effective against targets, but enemy planes don't shoot them down as easily.

Zone of Control question: If an enemy unit passes into a ZoC, do the odds of him sustaining a potshot increase if there are a stack of ZoC-enabled troops versus just one? I'm thinking it doesn't matter otherwise enemies passing by a SoD would almost certainly take a shot every time.

Is there way to determine the number of cities you have without actually counting them on the F1 screen?

Or.......the utility program CRpMapStat.........Both Great and, IMO very useful, utility programs. :)

Thanks Aabraxan and EMan. To date, I have not used any utility programs but seems that I should start.

Top Bottom