• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

No, the odds of generating a leader are only half as good when defending as when attacking. I don't know about the odds for promoting, but the auto-promotion with two wins in the same turn makes defensive promotion likely when you survive.

SirPleb wrote this on leaders "Each time one of your elite units wins a fight against a rival, there is a 1 in 16 chance that a leader will appear.

If one of your cities has built the small wonder "Heroic Epic" then your chance of getting a leader improves to 1 in 12 when you win a fight with an elite.

You can not get a leader by fighting a barbarian. Only fights won against rival Civs have a chance of producing a leader.

You can get a leader when an elite wins while defending as well as from attacking. The chances of getting a leader from a successful defense are 1/2 the chances while attacking, i.e. 1 in 32 without Heroic Epic, 1 in 24 with Heroic Epic." Link

Maybe things in Conquests changed that way, but I doubt it.

AFAIK, it was not changed in Conquests. But I could have just forgotten that tidbit.

Vxma brings up a good point, though. We generally do get more leaders because we attack more. My first or second MGL was from an Elite Cav defending....needless to say I lost that MGL and was PISSED!

Assume that a unit from civ A and a unit from civ B are on adjacent tiles, assume also that I have nukes. Of course it is possible to nuke only the unit from only one of civ A and civ B without damaging the other unit, but what if I deliberately nuke both units? Would I declare war on both civs? If so, what would the foreign advisor (or mil advisor, I forgot which one)'s warning be before I nuke them?

If you nuke both of them, you'll go to war w/ both of them. However, if you don't declare before hand it's considered a Sneak Attack and you get a rep hit for it. Similar to RoP rape.

I believe the Adviser will ask if you really want to go to war with both of them. Saying no to either one of them should cancel the attack. I do know that if you try to nuke an enemy and there's neutral units inside the blast radius, the FA (I think) will ask if you want to go to war with the neutral civ.

Professor-do 3 unit armies count as 1 unit, 3 units or 4 units for quelling resistance?

I am 90% sure that 3-unit armies can quell 3 resistors, but I will let you know for sure tomorrow. I just happen to have a situation where I can test this perfectly.

Well, this came as a surprise to me, but 4-unit armies can quell 5 resistors. I had just wiped out the spanish, but had a lot of resistors left, so I put a 4-unit army in a city with 5 resistors, and the next turn, the resistance was quelled. Learn something every day, I guess.

Well, this came as a surprise to me, but 4-unit armies can quell 5 resistors. I had just wiped out the spanish, but had a lot of resistors left, so I put a 4-unit army in a city with 5 resistors, and the next turn, the resistance was quelled. Learn something every day, I guess.

My suspicion is that ANY unit will quell ALL resistors once a civ is dead. Maybe you could go back and replay that turn with a single unit in the city ( a left over spearman maybe :lol:)

A single unit will still only take care of one resistor. Unfortunately, I have lots of experience with this.

What about The Professor's observation then? . . . .
I think the key to The Professor's observation is, well, I've underlined it.
Now, I'm not an expert on quelling resistance, not by a long shot, but I can't recall ever having a civ's last city resist.

Now, I'm not an expert on quelling resistance, not by a long shot, but I can't recall ever having a civ's last city resist.

What happens is that your blitzkrieg is moving so fast that you leave resistor behind in the cities that were conquered earlier, with no units to quell them (the army is needed at the front). So when the civ is wiped out, the resistors will remain in the cities until quelled.
That is the situation that I was asking about.

What happens is that your blitzkrieg is moving so fast that you leave resistor behind in the cities that were conquered earlier, with no units to quell them (the army is needed at the front). So when the civ is wiped out, the resistors will remain in the cities until quelled.
That is the situation that I was asking about.

That is true, but the last town to fall will not have any resisters at all. You can still have other captured towns in resistance for some time.

IvanDolvich had it right--I took 5 or 6 cities in the last turn, and I promise you that when I hit enter, there were 5 resistors in Logrono. As CKS pointed out, one unit generally can only quell one resistor, but I suppose that the game counts units in an army the same way for quelling resistance as it does for boats--the army itself counts as a unit.

I suppose that the game counts units in an army the same way for quelling resistance as it does for boats--the army itself counts as a unit.
But the strategy article I linked to says:
Note that unit strength does not matter. A powerful tank is no better at convincing someone to stop their resistance than a guy armed with a pointy stick. That is, except for one thing: Air units, water units, artillery units, settlers, workers, and other non-ground and/or non-combat units cannot quell resistors, just as they cannot make unhappy citizens content.
We still don't know what's really going on. Have you still got a save at hand where you can test how Logrono behaves when you put just one unit in it, Professor?

Pacioli said:
Please explain domination limit and its effect on gameplay. Thanks.

The domination limit comes as the theoretical percentage such that if you have that much territory, you basically "rule the world". Therefore, if you exceed the domination limit percentage, you win the game (unless you have the domination victory condition turned off). If you hear players talking about "getting up to the domination limit" in say an HoF or XOTM thread, they usually mean getting near to, but not exceeding, the number of tiles required for the domination limit... which technically has more to do with the number of tiles in use in say a histographic game or getting as many cities as possible without accidently winning via the domination limit condition say in a 100k game.

The domination limit is reached if you own 66% of the map. That's 66% of the tiles that you can own, because ocean tiles don't count. I'm not even sure whether sea tiles count or not, as there always seems to be confusion about that, and I haven't tested it myself.
What it means for gameplay is that, if you want a fast domination victory, the Temple of Artemis becomes a very interesting wonder, because the culture expansion due to all those free temples does a lot towards the domination limit. Try to avoid getting Education if you're owning the Temple of Artemis. Well, thirst thing you need is units and go riot over the map, of course, but that goes without saying, doesn't it?
If you don't want a domination victory, but you're shooting for conquest, you have to be careful not to go over the domination limit, perhaps you'll have to burn some towns. The vitory screen (F8) will give your '% of world area', CivAssist will give you the exact amount of tiles you're away from it.

Top Bottom