• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I don't understand how mobilization works. I set mine to war-time, which should get me an extra shield each square that already produces one, as long as I produce a military unit or military improvement, right? I set it to war-time (and let a few turns pass in case it just didn't work on the first turn), and I get ZERO extra shields in my box. Is there something I'm missing?

(playing C3C 1.22 on a Mac.)
Thanks to anyone who can help.

The last time I used it (granted, months ago), I thought it boosted the shield output of the squares, but also denied you the ability to actually build anything non-military. So a hill that normally produced 3 shields would now have 4.

Is there a way to issue a build railroad order to a "stack" of workers? I'm looking to build a railroad back to my capitol. Must the order be given to each worker individually?

Yes, you have to tell each individually.

Is there a way to issue a build railroad order to a "stack" of workers? I'm looking to build a railroad back to my capitol. Must the order be given to each worker individually?

Yes, you have to tell each individually.

True, but you can do 'RailRoad-To', and if the unit is on a tile that's connected to the iron it will make the road then railroad to the tile you specified. Usually what I do is get the number of workers equal to the number of turns needed to make the railroad (add one if no road exists there) and send them off to where ever. This will get one tile done per turn. And if the tiles I want RR'd are already roaded, then I'll do multiples of that number if I have enough workers (and usually do) to get more than one tile done at a time.

This is maybe half a dozen workers max, unless I have a lot of groups out there. But by telling them to do more than one tile in an order, it does cut down on the amount of MM needed.

True, although I'd advise against doing that for anything more than short stretches, as the AI can be rather bad at pathfinding.

The AI in C3C is much better at pathfinding than in Civ2.

Anyways, I've only had a few moments where I scratch my head and wonder what it's doing. And most of those are on roaded tiles anyways. A lot of times it finds a shorter route that I missed.

Most of the time it does a decent job. At pathfinding.

... but for some reason, the movie doesn't play any more. Any ideas on how to get this to play?
Hi Aabra. If you look in you conquests ini file you'll probably have an entry saying PlayIntro=0. Change it to equal 1.

Not directly. IOW, the AI doesn't follow the "if that stupid human gave me X once, surely he'll do it again" logic. Indirectly, however, it could have that effect. For example, if the AI demands a lux, and you cave, that means that it can put some of it's citizens back to work. As a result, it may become militarily stronger. If that makes it stronger in relation to you, the AI could then come back with more demands.

Thanks, Tone. I'll take a look.

How often do you use civil engineers? Policemen?

Police infrequently, only when making troops to gain some shields.

CE's all the time. Those farm towns can really use them to speed an aqua, if you want one there.

I have been playing CIV 3 for the past few days having taken a break from civ in general for over a year. Unfortunately CIV 3 has reminded me why I stopped playing. Although it has awoken my lost love of CIV 2. Anyway that’s another topic.

1) How can I determine the version number of CIV 3 that I am running?

2) Is it just me or does CIV 3 seem exceptionally glitchy? The last game I played had me astounded at what the game was and was not doing. From frankly ridiculous combat results (rifleman consist Nanty winning vs. modern armour!) to my reputation being soured despite never breaking an agreement or initiating a sneak attack! Then there were times when standard dialogue options were not available only to become available later again (usually when it was too late!)

3) Is there a patch available that corrects the frustrating game play? I am running gold edition.

4) Another one that sprung to mind, recently when playing age of discovery scenario I was not able to build a spice factory, despite having it in my city radius and having the prerequisite technology. Do I also need a road to the goods to build the factory?

I’m quite happy to go back to CIV 2 (im not sure I should even consider civ 4 judging by the prior instalments "progress"!) although I do want to give civ 3 another go.

1) How can I determine the version number of CIV 3 that I am running?
IIRC, it's in the bottom left corner of the main screen. Most recent is 1.22.

2) Is it just me or does CIV 3 seem exceptionally glitchy? The last game I played had me astounded at what the game was and was not doing. From frankly ridiculous combat results (rifleman consist Nanty winning vs. modern armour!) to my reputation being soured despite never breaking an agreement or initiating a sneak attack! Then there were times when standard dialogue options were not available only to become available later again (usually when it was too late!)
Doesn't seem glitchy to me. Riflemen have a Defense of 6, Modern Armor have an Attack of 24 - if the Rifleman is fortified (+50%) in a Metropolis (size 13+ city - +100%) on a Hill (+50%) across a River (+50%), it changes from 24 vs 6 to 24 vs 21, which is pretty bad odds, all things considered.

For the other, is it your Reputation or the AI's *attitude* toward you? I don't think the former is explicitly shown anywhere, while the latter is, and will always deteriorate unless you do something to fix it.

What do you mean by standard dialogue options not being available?

Top Bottom