Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for testing Ginger Ale ... 1K posts :beer: I don't doubt it ... this is one of the most usefull threads in the entire CFC ... thanks Turner for starting it ... :D

Hey, I'm currently in a game as the Maya and a ways into the industrial age and my current situation brought up a few questions.

I changed to democracy shortly after I researched it and it was working out well until the Sumerians did a sneak attack which did virtually nothing (this is on Warlord and, although I'm probably not good enough to move up yet, I'm fairly advanced and took out their army fairly quickly). I was on a continent all to myself (after eliminating the Incans and Americans) and began to go over to the Sumerian home continent and see what I could do. I captured a city but nearly every city of my own erupted into civil disorder. How do you deal with this type of war weariness? I increased the luxury slider a few times and it did little in the long run and am not sure what to do. Do you just avoid war entirely under this government? Does the Suffrage wonder help significantly? Should I change governments?

And one more thing that probably has an easy answer. I have pretty much every worked tile improved as much as possible (with railroads, ect) and am getting annoyed with having to micro manage the workers every turn. I've heard that you're never supposed to automate them, but at this stage in the game is it more acceptable? What should I tell them to do?

Thanks a lot!

Re war weariness I presume you have built police stations if you don't have Woman's Suffrage. Suffrage does help but it is not enough. Also, have you traded for luxuries?
I can usually keep a Democracy at war with the slider set to four or five lux if I have Suffrage.

If your empire is large you should consider Communism.

Re war weariness I presume you have built police stations if you don't have Woman's Suffrage. Suffrage does help but it is not enough. Also, have you traded for luxuries?
I can usually keep a Democracy at war with the slider set to four or five lux if I have Suffrage.

If your empire is large you should consider Communism.

The last 2 messages are wise ... I would do what they both say ... ;) :D :p

Regarding workers ... not sure what other people do but I form them into gangs which can handle pollution cleanup in 1 turn and then spread them around continent ... the top worker in the stack is active and the rest are asleep ... less clicking :) ...
The other option is to have 'forest teams' which I use to help nudge city production ... each team has enough workers to chop and replant trees in 1 turn ... 10 shields is not much but it does help and keeps the labours from doing nothing ...
Finally I would have workers in your invasion forces ... these 'engineers' can build roads/rail in 1 turn so your forces can move swiftly ...

Hope this helps :goodjob:

Darzee said:
... until the Sumerians did a sneak attack which did virtually nothing...
At this point you could have been getting war happiness. This occurs when another Civ declares war on you and nothing is done to change the war happiness to war weariness.

Darzee said:
and began to go over to the Sumerian home continent and see what I could do. I captured a city but nearly every city of my own erupted into civil disorder. How do you deal with this type of war weariness?
Do you just avoid war entirely under this government?
Capturing an enemy city wouldn't affect the war weariness. I guess you lost some units to the AI, or the AI captured a city back. It's possible to avoid war weariness in Democracy, even to reduce it. The war weariness will go down if there are no enemy units in your territory and none of your units in enemy territory at the end of the turn and nothing occurs to increase war weariness again.

Darzee said:
Should I change governments?
It's much easier to use another government if you're planning to stay at war with Sumeria. I would tend to use Monarchy or Communism, and change to that government before starting a war phase of the game. As a non-religious Civ it will take a while to change, so it might be better to make peace for now. War weariness is seperate for each AI, so making peace with the Sumerians would mean that the Sumerian war wearines wouldn't affect you so you could continue warring with other Civs.

Oystein has investigated the effects of war weariness. You might want to have a read of >> this thread <<

Thanks a lot guys, I ended up making peace and will probably go for space race win.

fe3333au, you said something about having worker gangs. That makes a lot of sense but how do you put them into a stack like that? I'm sure it's very easy and I'm just missing the button somewhere. Again, thanks!

Darzee said:
Thanks a lot guys, I ended up making peace and will probably go for space race win.

fe3333au, you said something about having worker gangs. That makes a lot of sense but how do you put them into a stack like that? I'm sure it's very easy and I'm just missing the button somewhere. Again, thanks!

If you go into the control panel and select "show advanced buttons there will be a "Move units in stack" and "Move units of same type in stack button above the right hand info pannel.... otherwise you need to use ctrl-J or J (you might want to double check on the shortcut keys....I don't use them much and am not sure if it is Shift-J/Ctrl-J/J...? I just use the button above the info pannel...;) )

Hope this helps.... (and yes.... you should be using workers in gangs... 2-4 in the beginning.... later gangs I use tend to be 6-10 workers in size....) This lets you put down roads/mines in one turn on a hill... 3-4 can chop forests in one turn... etc.... very usefull...

fe3333au said:
Thanks for testing Ginger Ale ... 1K posts :beer: I don't doubt it ... this is one of the most usefull threads in the entire CFC ... thanks Turner for starting it ... :D

I would have to agree.... This is the most usefull (and sometimes entertaining) thread in the whole of the forums. Great place to pick people brains instead of spending hours testing a Q that hundreds of others already have....

Thanks again to everyone out there who shares thier vast stores of experience.... :thanx: :goodjob:

If it says "postcount: 30"(+) and you hung around for 30 days, access your user cp, stick to column on the left with those editing options. Can mess around with the avatar, title etc.

general rule: a spam a day keeps the mod away;)

Ok, I downloaded some modpacks recentely, one of them was the Warhammer mod. Looks awesome. So, I got to play it and everything is super small. So then I go around and check to pre-loaded scenarios and it is all super small. I cannot see units, well barely, and cities are extremely small. I have no clue why this is for I have played Civ3 conquests for a while now, and bascially everything worked just fine. I am on Windows XP, I have an NVidia graphics card, and I have downloaded the 1.22 Patch. Still, to my dismay, no improvement. Everything is still very small. Please help, I want to play this mod REAL bad.

Thanks, Kongming.

Kongmingx-have you tried the "z" key? Some players don't know it zooms in and out and accidently hit it.

No, I never tried hitting the Z key, I will have to try that out later. Usually all my conquests start off nice and normal looking, but everything under the Civ-Content starts off tiny. I will try the Z key, and update you guys later.

Thanks Again, Kongming

Dumb question-
The histogram/histograph. i have had games where i had access to this during the game, through a button labelled "H" on the box in the lower-right of the screen. Other games, i never get it. What are the requirements to get access to this? Can you only get it with certain victory conditions enabled, or on certain difficulty levels, or ??? i've been playing Monarch, conquest only, completing the tech tree and not getting it.

Thanks!

...dave

Try looking for a button with a "V" on it where the "H" button should be. if you have conquests this is another way to go to the histogram screen. it is also the way to view the victory conditions. I use it all the time.

Is there a consolidated list of Civ acronyms that are commonly used in this forum?

Example SoZ = Statue of Zeus

sometimes I don't know what folks are saying and I would hate to clog up threads with dumb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom