1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Modding Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Leyrann, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Chamale

Chamale Chieftain

Thanks, I appreciate this. I was only looking in modding.log. Where can I find the correct tables? I'd been checking C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data and using the names of those tables, but evidently that's not correct.

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

Make sure you aren't making the common mistake of assuming file names have any real meaning other than to make it easier to find stuff. There is a file called Projects_Expansion2.xml in the DLC folder for Gathering Storm, but that's just a filename, not a database table name.

To find the definitions of all the Vanilla database tables look first in file
    The other files in the same folder also have some table-definitions for oddball stuff. Remember that these are the definitions of the names of the tables and the various columns each table uses, but in the quoted folder there is no data. Data for these tables is added from the contents of the files found (for Vanilla) in folder
    Expansion1 (Rise and Fall) has its data in folder
    and the definitions of new tables added by Rise and Fall is in this same folder in file Expansion1_Schema.sql

Expansion2 (Gathering Storm) has its data in folder
    and the definitions of new tables added by Rise and Fall is in this same folder in file Expansion2_Schema.sql

3. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Tiles aren't inherently assigned city names so far as which city owns the tile. The game adds this in tooltips and the like when in-game depending upon which city is working a tile and which city the game engine determines "owns" the plot.

4. Vlyper

Vlyper Chieftain

I'm trying to assign city names as certain YnAMP maps do. Real city names, if you will. I've created a map of Brazil and would like the cities each to have their real names depending on which tile they were founded.

Thanks for the reply!

5. Wolffleet

Wolffleet Chieftain

Hi Trying to replace building maintenance with production. How would I write an SQL code to give every buildingtype in building_YieldChanges a - production value = to its maintenance in Buildings?

UPDATE Buildings_YieldChanges
    SET YieldType = Production, YieldChange = Maintenace?
    WHERE BuildingType = BuildingT

6. Mew151

Mew151 Chieftain

YnAMP real city naming is actually very easy to do once you get used to it. You'll need the YnAMP mod (which I already assume you have) as well as a YnAMP format map. If your map is WorldBuilder format, it's easy to convert with Yet (not) Another Bit Map Converter. There will be an option, defaulted on for "Map Supports Real City Naming". Leave that on, and once it converts your map, you only need to edit Map\Maps.xml and Map\MapText.xml in your mod folder to get the custom city names to appear.

YnABMC actually already provides some instructions in comments in the generated xml files, but rock_and_ride has also made a post with more Real City Naming documentation.

7. Luke Vo

Luke Vo Chieftain

Hi is there any modifier that works similar to Building_BuildChargeProductions and District_BuildChargeProductions, i.e let a unit rushes stuff but only when the modifier is attached?

8. Luke Vo

Luke Vo Chieftain

Also can you please tell me how to add icons for a city project? I tried copying Removable Districts but the game would crash if I choose the project:

I made icon file (.dds) using Paint .NET with various sizes: 30, 32, 38, 50, 70, 80, 256. And this is the definition:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <GameInfo>
        <IconTextureAtlases>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="30"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-30.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="32"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-32.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="38"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-38.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="50"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-50.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="70"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-70.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="80"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-80.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="256"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icons/icon-256.dds"/>
        </IconTextureAtlases>

<IconDefinitions>
            <Row Name="ICON_PROJECT_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Index="1"/>
        </IconDefinitions>
    </GameInfo>

I used ImportFiles for the icons files, then UpdateIcon for the above XML file.

Any specific thing I have to do to ensure the dds file work?

9. maconnolly

maconnolly Chieftain

I'm fairly certain that the Filename should not contain any folders as part of the relative name. It should just be the actual filename (e.g. icon-30.dds) versus what you have (e.g. icons/icon-30.dds). Those files should be within a folder called Textures within the root of your built mod.

10. Luke Vo

Luke Vo Chieftain

@maconnolly Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it still crashed :( I tried to: remove the dash in the filename (so it is the same as Removable District), changed the folder to Textures (and update the Imports + Files accordingly), set the Icons LoadOrder to 9999 (same as the aforementioned mod).

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <GameInfo>
        <IconTextureAtlases>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="30"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon30.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="32"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon32.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="38"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon38.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="50"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon50.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="70"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon70.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="80"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon80.dds"/>
            <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" IconSize="256"  IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="icon256.dds"/>
        </IconTextureAtlases>

<IconDefinitions>
            <Row Name="ICON_PROJECT_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Index="1"/>
        </IconDefinitions>
    </GameInfo>

In-game, the icon and civilopedia looks like this:

If I click the project to build, it crashes the game.

Modinfo file of that part:

Code:
      <InGameActions>
        <UpdateDatabase id="BuildInfrastructureProject_Database">
          <Properties>
                <LoadOrder>125</LoadOrder>
            </Properties>
            <File>BuildInfrastructureProject.sql</File>
        </UpdateDatabase>
        <UpdateText id="BuildInfrastructureProject_Text">
          <Properties>
            <LoadOrder>125</LoadOrder>
          </Properties>
          <File>BuildInfrastructureProject_Text.sql</File>
        </UpdateText>
        <ImportFiles id="BuildInfrastructureProject_Import">
          <Properties>
            <LoadOrder>1</LoadOrder>
          </Properties>
          <Items>
            <File>Textures/icon30.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon32.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon38.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon50.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon70.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon80.dds</File>
            <File>Textures/icon256.dds</File>
          </Items>
        </ImportFiles>
        <Icons id="BuildInfrastructureProject_Icons">
          <Properties>
            <LoadOrder>9999</LoadOrder>
          </Properties>
          <File>BuildInfrastructureProject_Icon.xml</File>
        </Icons>
      </InGameActions>
      <Files>
        <File>BuildInfrastructureProject.sql</File>
        <File>BuildInfrastructureProject_Text.sql</File>
      </Files>

11. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

This is incorrect modinfo syntax when using InGameActions
    Code:
          <Properties>
            <LoadOrder>1</LoadOrder>
          </Properties>
          <Items>
          </Items>
        </ImportFiles>
    This is the correct syntax
    Code:

<Properties>
            <LoadOrder>1</LoadOrder>
          </Properties>
        </ImportFiles>
    <Items> is only valid for the older method of using <Settings> and <Components> instead of the newer system of <FrontEndActions> and <InGameActions>

12. Luke Vo

Luke Vo Chieftain

Still have the same issues with <Items> removed. I have zipped all the files, please check if I made any mistake, thanks a lot!

P.s: is the .dds file need to be anything special? I just create it using Paint .NET with default settings. I checked and all the sizes match.

Attached Files:

13. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

Modinfo Syntax error -- you need
    Code:
    		<UpdateIcons id="BuildInfrastructureProject_Icons">
    			<Properties>
    				<LoadOrder>9999</LoadOrder>
    			</Properties>
    		</UpdateIcons>
    XML code error, which I did not notice earlier. You need
    Code:
    	<IconDefinitions>
    		<Row Name="ICON_PROJECT_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_BUILD_INFRASTRUCTURE" Index="0"/>
    	</IconDefinitions>
    Your art files have only one image each, which means that your "Index" number for which image within the file is to be used must be integer 0.

Image file Index numbers always start with image number 0. So a file with 8 total images only has index numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Image Index #0 is always the uppermost leftmost image in the file of images. Image index numbering moves from this position rightwards until the end of a row, and then continues on the next row (if any) again at the leftmost position.

I recreated your images using GIMP as extra insurance but I don't think that step was actually necessary -- fix the two issues with the code and modinfo file and see if this does not solve the problem. If you get question marks instead of the expected image then your settings in Paint.net when converting to dds format are not right. I don't know anything about Paint.net so cannot advise what needs to be changed. I've always had success using GIMP and its default settings for converting (exporting in GIMP-lingo) to DDS.

14. Luke Vo

Luke Vo Chieftain

Goodness! I wonder how the mod I am copying from doesn't crash and runs well! I fixed the two problems you told me and now the icon shows up in the Build panel as well as in Civilopedia but it still crashes if I click it to start building the project. Can you please show me any mod/template with icon so I can learn from that instead. Sorry for this prolonging, I thought it would be a short problem.

15. Mew151

Mew151 Chieftain

Is there a way to set the modinfo ActionCriteria so that it detects if a map is being played?
    I'm working on a Middle-earth map, which uses custom continent names, but I want the continents (like Eriador, Minhiriath, etc.) to load only when my map is being played, so that they won't interfere in normal map generation.

Part of the difficulty for me is that I don't know what the valid arguments are for Criteria types.

I've seen ConfigurationValueMatches being used in other mods, however it just doesn't seem to work for me and results in it always acting as "off":
    Code:
    <ActionCriteria>
        <Criteria id="Mew_MiddleEarth_selected">
            <ConfigurationValueMatches>
                <MapName>Mew_MiddleEarth_Map</MapName>
            </ConfigurationValueMatches>
        </Criteria>
    <ActionCriteria>

<InGameActions>
        <UpdateDatabase id="Mew_MiddleEarth_Continents">
            <Criteria>Mew_MiddleEarth_selected</Criteria>
            <File>Data/Continents.xml</File>
        </UpdateDatabase>
    </InGameActions>
    I've seen the included Scenarios use the following to implement unique civilizations, features, and things that don't affect anything outside of the scenario:
    Code:
    <ActionCriteria>
        <Criteria id="NubiaScenario">
            <RuleSetInUse>RULESET_SCENARIO_NUBIA</RuleSetInUse>
        </Criteria>
    </ActionCriteria>
    However, making a new ruleset seems too convoluted, when I think the solution is probably something much simpler than I'm thinking of.

16. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

Have you tried "MapInUse" instead of "MapName" and ConfigurationValueMatches:
    Code:
    <ActionCriteria>
        <Criteria id="Mew_MiddleEarth_selected">
            <MapInUse>Mew_MiddleEarth_Map</MapInUse>
        </Criteria>
    </ActionCriteria>
    MapInUse does not show anywhere in any Firaxis content other than a file search through all the game's files in the DLL
    Code:
    RuleSetInUse LeaderPlayable MapInUse ModInUse GameCoreInUse GameModeInUse
    So it may or may not work, and you may or may not need the file extension ".Civ6Map"

17. Mew151

Mew151 Chieftain

Thank you, LeeS! I have not tried "MapInUse" before, but I'll play around with it and see if I can get it to work the way I want! :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  18. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

Error exporting model
    upload_2020-9-6_9-58-9.png

I've triangulated and assigned everything perfectly. did I miss something??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  19. Vlyper

Vlyper Chieftain

Wow!!! Thank you so much!!! I can't believe I can actually make this happen :D

20. Boa's Mod Productions

Boa's Mod Productions Chieftain

Hi, I seem to have a problem once again.

So I have gotten and pretty much completed the (yet-to-be-tested) modifiers for my mod, so I am now getting them to appear on the menu at least, but they are not appearing at all, and looking at the logs, the problem seems to be traced back to lack of artdef files, and so I am now dealing with artdefs. I've looked very hard at all the tutorials regarding artdefs, the ones made by Leugi has been by far the most helpful, the only problem is that it was made at a time I suspect before the Asset Editor updated....

I am having a hard time finding the "Add Asset" button, and if there is a way to add the assets with the overlays having been changed, can someone please help me figure out how to add more than one asset in the Asset Preview?

Actually, my intention overall, I should explain: I plan to copy paste the texture of the vanilla scout for my unique unit (which replaces the scout anyway), and the texture of the Mine improvement for my unique improvement, as I want to leave working on custom textures for another time, but with the Asset Editor having a completely different layout to how these tutorials show and describe (I suspect it's because of being slightly outdated), I am pretty much stuck, confused and lost at this point. If anyone could help me with this dilemma, I'd be grateful

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020