Quick Modding Questions Thread

The Civ's AI is a pretty broad area. You may take a look at https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/real-strategy-ai.640452/post-15324159 to better understand how the core system work. Behavior trees manage tactical level and are more difficult as there is virtually no documentation. Those two tables contain actual definition of the trees, the first contains the trees (nodes and relations) and the 2nd all required params.

Edit. Actually you should first check the table NodeDefinitions. There are short comments on what each node does.
Thanks. It's really helpful!

Hello!

I am in the middle of making a new Civ and I wanted its unique building to give a great person point per tern when its great work slot is filled. I have a rough idea of how I could make it work but I can't figure out how the CityBuildings.GetGreatWorkInSlot() method works. If someone knows how this method works or knows a different way I could code this, please let me know!

I wanted to try translating some mods to my language, but just making copies of the files and editing these copies doesn't do the job, and I can't find tutorials specifically for this. Anyone has tips?

I have tried translating the original file, and that did work, but any game updates will undo my changes.

I looked through the steam workshop, and couldn't find what I was looking for and was wondering if there were other sources for mods.

Specifically, I was wondering if there were any mods that reskinned the terrain using Civ BE assets, and gave you choices between biomes?

If there isn't, how hard would it be to create such a thing?

I looked through the steam workshop, and couldn't find what I was looking for and was wondering if there were other sources for mods.

Specifically, I was wondering if there were any mods that reskinned the terrain using Civ BE assets, and gave you choices between biomes?

If there isn't, how hard would it be to create such a thing?
The only full terrain reskin is this one by a FXS employee -
It would be a pretty steep curve for someone not well-versed in the technical aspects to reskin the game, though it is possible. I seem to recall a discussion on Discord about biomes. There's really no framework in Civ 6 for it so it would be extremely difficult, if not outright impossible to implement.

Hi LeeS, I have been following @maconnolly 's template to make a custom civilization, as it's my first time trying to mod the game. I have had mostly success so far, however I have encountered a really frustrating error. The unique building I have added for my civilization does not show up in the game. I am not sure what is the issue, as the name and description show up in my civ's screen when creating a new game.

I've attached my mod files here if you want to take a look. It is still a work in progress, so a lot of the textures are still the default ones from the template, and I haven't renamed most of the images yet. Hopefully you can spot what I am doing wrong and let me know.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• New_Civ_BoS.zip
    5 MB · Views: 8
Can you add citizen slots to tile using lua or are there any modifiers the change the amount of citizen slots a tile can have.
Like the global parameter 'CITY_NORMAL_PLOT_WORKER_CAPACITY' but a way to control it.

Any1 knows how to Spawn a News minor Player and add a city state on the mal via lua?

I'm using a customised version of Janboruta's Better Civilization Colour's mod. After having returned to Civ6 after some months, I find that only certain changes of the mod are being implemented. For example, my custom jersey for the barbarians is working, while Janboruta's change for Cyrus' primary jersey is working, but most of the other changes - both mine and Janboruta's - are not. What could be the reason?

Attaching mod

Attachments

• BCC2.rar
    15.7 KB · Views: 6
I made a mod on ModBuddy but it's not changing anything in the game. I've compared both the SQL files and mod files with the mod I a sad and the only discrepancy I discovered was in the modinfo files.

Referenced mod:
Code:
?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="c099618c-f171-40fb-8e79-c5f0b6d4f941" version="2">
  <Properties>
    <Name>MyColours</Name>
    <Description>Improves the standardised colour palette provided by the game and amends many jerseys (colour sets) of almost all civilizations. Tries to stay true to vanilla experience. Does not disable the jersey system.</Description>
    <Created>1605902567</Created>
    <Teaser>Improves the standardised colour palette provided by the game and amends many civ jerseys.</Teaser>
    <Authors>Janboruta</Authors>
    <AffectsSavedGames>0</AffectsSavedGames>
    <CompatibleVersions>1.2,2.0</CompatibleVersions>
  </Properties>
  <FrontEndActions>
    <UpdateColors id="BCC_Jerseys">
      <Properties>
        <LoadOrder>200</LoadOrder>
      </Properties>
      <File>BCCData/BCC_Jerseys.sql</File>
    </UpdateColors>
    <UpdateColors id="BCC_Colours">
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
      <File>BCCData/BCC_Colours.sql</File>
    </UpdateColors>
  </FrontEndActions>
  <InGameActions>
    <UpdateColors id="BCC_Jerseys">
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
    </UpdateColors>
    <UpdateColors id="BCC_Colours">
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
    </UpdateColors>
    <UpdateArt id="BCC_Art">
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
      <File>Better Civ Colours Lite.dep</File>
    </UpdateArt>
  </InGameActions>
  <Files>
    <File>ArtDefs/BCCUnitTints.artdef</File>
    <File>Better Civ Colours Lite.dep</File>
  </Files>
</Mod>

My mod:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="2f6cee28-e8ce-40d7-b209-dbe0ab5bba52" version="1">
  <Properties>
    <Name>Revamped Colours (Barbs + FC)</Name>
    <Description>Changes jerseys for Barbarians and Free Cities only.</Description>
    <Created>1692889129</Created>
    <Teaser>Changes jerseys for Barbarians and Free Cities only.</Teaser>
    <Authors>Bonyduck Campersang</Authors>
    <SpecialThanks>janboruta</SpecialThanks>
    <CompatibleVersions>1.2,2.0</CompatibleVersions>
  </Properties>
  <FrontEndActions>
    <UpdateDatabase id="NewAction1">
      <File>RC(B+ FC Data)/Colours.sql</File>
      <File>RC(B+ FC Data)/Jerseys.sql</File>
    </UpdateDatabase>
  </FrontEndActions>
  <InGameActions>
    <UpdateDatabase id="NewAction2">
    </UpdateDatabase>
  </InGameActions>
  <Files>
  </Files>
</Mod>

Where in ModBuddy do you define the load order? And is load order necessary for a mod to load at all?
I always do it manually so not sure in Modbuddy, but it's generally a good idea to give LoadOrders to your actions. The reason being you want your files to load after the game files. Without them there is a chance that your files will get overridden by the game files.

I'd also try to stay away from special characters and spaces when naming your files & folders.

Also, you need to use the UpdateColors action rather than UpdateDatabase.

Is it not possible to change the streamname in wwise?

Unable to arbitrarily change streamname even with latest version of wwise

Attachments

• 20230828_115356_Wwise_1.png
    20230828_115356_Wwise_1.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 8
I want to make the XML version of an SQL. If the SQL looks like this:
Code:
UPDATE PlayerColors
SET PrimaryColor = "COLOR_BC_BARB_BASE"
WHERE Type = 'CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN';

UPDATE PlayerColors
SET SecondaryColor = "COLOR_BC_BARB_FORE"
WHERE Type = 'CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN';
shouldn't the XML look like this:
Code:
<GameData>
    <PlayerColors>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN" />
            <Set PrimaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_BASE" />
            <Set SecondaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_FORE" />
        </Update>
    </PlayerColors>
</GameData>
?

You can't have two SET commands in a single statement like that. It needs to be:

Code:
<GameData>
    <PlayerColors>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN"/>
            <Set PrimaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_BASE" SecondaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_FORE"/>
        </Update>
    </PlayerColors>
</GameData>

Or

Code:
<GameData>
    <PlayerColors>
        <Update>
            <Where>
                <Type>CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN/>
            </Where>
            <Set>
                <PrimaryColor>COLOR_BC_BARBS_BASE</PrimaryColor>
                <SecondaryColor>COLOR_BC_BARBS_FORE</SecondaryColor>
            </Set>
        </Update>
    </PlayerColors>
</GameData>

Personally I'd stick with SQL, but that's just my preference. If you do XML the first example above would probably be easiest.

You can't have two SET commands in a single statement like that. It needs to be:

Code:
<GameData>
    <PlayerColors>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN"/>
            <Set PrimaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_BASE" SecondaryColor="COLOR_BC_BARBS_FORE"/>
        </Update>
    </PlayerColors>
</GameData>

Or

Code:
<GameData>
    <PlayerColors>
        <Update>
            <Where>
                <Type>CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN/>
            </Where>
            <Set>
                <PrimaryColor>COLOR_BC_BARBS_BASE</PrimaryColor>
                <SecondaryColor>COLOR_BC_BARBS_FORE</SecondaryColor>
            </Set>
        </Update>
    </PlayerColors>
</GameData>

Personally I'd stick with SQL, but that's just my preference. If you do XML the first example above would probably be easiest.
Thanks a lot!

Would you know why DB Browser isn't showing complete information in a table for me? It's not for just player colours, the table for continents only has a few continents listed, and I can't find an XML or SQL file for continents anywhere using File Explorer.

Would you know why DB Browser isn't showing complete information in a table for me? It's not for just player colours, the table for continents only has a few continents listed, and I can't find an XML or SQL file for continents anywhere using File Explorer.
I don't use DB Browser so I'm not sure what the issue is. The Continents table can be found in the Maps XML file, though.

Top Bottom