Quick Questions / Quick Answers

That seems obvious, but I'm asking anyway : did you finished barracks or walls the same turn ? Those also increase supply cap.

That seems obvious, but I'm asking anyway : did you finished barracks or walls the same turn ? Those also increase supply cap.

No. I just received a new unit as a gift and the limit increased. This surprised.

Does the diplomatic AI explicitly take broken promises into account? I greatly reduced the opinion penalties from breaking a promise about not attacking a civ when troops are near the border. However, when I did break the promise several other civs that I were friendly with before suddenly turned on me.
Yes. Regardless of the opinion penalty, it will count as a backstabbing penalty. Too many of those, or against the wrong player, and the world will hate you.

Yes. Regardless of the opinion penalty, it will count as a backstabbing penalty. Too many of those, or against the wrong player, and the world will hate you.
The whole world certainly seem to hate countries who break a voluntary vassalege. Both Ethiopia & Russia, did this in my game, & were hated by the other nine, with only me remaining neutral.

Noob here, I'm building a computer and going all out and I heard the new AMD Ryzen 9 is the best but also heard that if the mod was developed with intel then it will work better with it and I was just hoping I could gain some insight from this incredible community. Thanks!!

Noob here, I'm building a computer and going all out and I heard the new AMD Ryzen 9 is the best but also heard that if the mod was developed with intel then it will work better with it and I was just hoping I could gain some insight from this incredible community. Thanks!!
You got me confused, I’m not a computer guy and I don’t know the answer but I got a question. 1 how can having a different cpu change how different games run, I thought that just because you had intel wouldn’t make a game run faster and rather it was just how fast the cpu is.

1) Is this typical game case as Austria? Most of the game game is peaceful with many CIVs as friends but when you are getting more and more marriages everyone seems to be guarded/hostile?
I am playing Austria right now and have this kind of situation as well. I like it because otherwise it would be a cakewalk for me. In the end, as long as AIs don't get crazy huge buffs, I am supposed to make better strats than AI because I am human and supposed to "outplay" them. And to put it in the balance, I am fine if almost every Civ hates me if it gives a reasonable challenge. I am mentally prepared to have an army just in case someone declares a surprise attack on me.

When they start "hating me", I should be already in a position that I could at least somehow defend it. Playing on Emperor.

I have noticed that it's important to check when the friendship/defensive pact of my authority neighbour ends. Usually they don't want to renew it if they consider me "too powerful", hence they might attack me. Sometimes they just straightly broke the pact though especially if I have been very naughty...

AI\s holy city was first was captured by another AI (founder of religion). The city was then taken over by me (the founder of the religion) and returned to its original owner. After that, only 4 religions remained in the game.

Religion can be destroyed irrevocably?

Is there any way to force an ally to create a road network?

Or is it possible to build roads in the territory of a vassal? I'm even ready to capture an ally in order to stop getting stuck in his territory at every turn ..

Hi everyone!
Is there a way to edit AI to make them colonize one-tile-island? I know its inefficient to do this but this just break immersion for me when many islands remain uncolonized in 1800s. I'm using VP standard with EUI, thanks a lot!

Hi everyone!
Is there a way to edit AI to make them colonize one-tile-island? I know its inefficient to do this but this just break immersion for me when many islands remain uncolonized in 1800s. I'm using VP standard with EUI, thanks a lot!

They do it. In my game there is a 1 tile colonized island. Near 1 or 2 fishes and 2 atolls.

A little lower there is another island of 2 tiles - 2 or 3 fishes, pearls and a couple of atolls. But, in my opinion, no one has founded a city there yet. The two countries that prefer these islands are constantly at war and have avoided colonizing a second island for now.

Approximately 1850 year.

I think that there must be significant reasons for AI - the desire for expansion, the lack of some kind of strategic resource. For example. in the late game, the AI has no problem founding cities in the polar regions for oil or uranium.

E3457381-EE62-4F65-A95C-95E65323DD46.png
Anybody has an idea how I could not catch up AI in tech, even tho last 150 turns i was constantly top 5 in science output. Even 50 of those turns I was having slim margin with top science AI. Actually after all I was not only stagnating, but falling even more behind. Playing emperor, huge map, epic speed. Full progress, statecraft, rationalism policy trees.

Anybody has an idea how I could not catch up AI in tech, even tho last 150 turns i was constantly top 5 in science output. Even 50 of those turns I was having slim margin with top science AI. Actually after all I was not only stagnating, but falling even more behind. Playing emperor, huge map, epic speed. Full progress, statecraft, rationalism policy trees.

You need to raise Great Scientists. The earlier the better. Use all science slots in each city whenever possible. Until about 300-350 moves, it is better to put the Academy. After - use scientists to instantly get research acceleration, since the Academies will no longer pay off.

Also at the Congress it is worth offering '-20% of the cost of technologies studied by anyone' if you are lagging behind in science. And +33% growth rate of Great Scientists.

What is a good number of cities to have around turn 100 (standard speed) when playing tall? What about when playing wide?

Also what is a good number of cities to end the game for both cases (sorry if this question is asked a lot)

What is a good number of cities to have around turn 100 (standard speed) when playing tall? What about when playing wide?

Also what is a good number of cities to end the game for both cases (sorry if this question is asked a lot)

Approximately:
the capital is the starting pool of the army, the place where most Wonders were built until the late game due to better production
2 ports - construction of ships, sea caravans. 1 port will be free if the other is blocked for some reason. Or 1 port on each side of a large island, the tip of the mainland. It is also desirable to set up Guilds of musicians, artists, and writers in ports and capital. A total of 3 guilds can be built. Coastal cities have a lot of food, but few tiles to work with. Sea caravans carry more food until late game. Food bonuses from city-states mostly go to the capital. And guilds provide very good border growth, which will be required to repair ships outside of cities. Also, Woders for 3-4 great works of art are best placed in ports.
1 city with good production for building an army - after an early game in this city, we put Heroic Epic (Morale Promotion + 10% CS) and free the capital from the construction of ground units. The capital will have something to do, at least the production of Envoys and Diplomats. Near the city, preferably several hills with mines, sawmills. Also horses. to build a stable and gain +33% cavalry production speed.
1-2 cities as a reserve, especially if there are aggressive neighbors nearby - the ability to quickly create an army, restore caravans. If for some reason one city is captured, then this will not be a disaster, as for an empire of 3-4 cities.

If possible, several cities should have access to a resource such as Stone so that you can send caravans with hammers around your empire in the early game to speed up the development of cities.

This is the core of the empire. For a wide game - annexing cities on other continents to build airports in the late game and transfer ground troops. Or coastal in the mid game to create many small mobile fleets and control the oceans.

Last edited:
I have come back after some break. My typical strategy is Domination (Aztecs, Authority -> Progress -> Imperialism) and I tend to burn all non-capital rival cities (I prefer much loser city placement and leave some space for Barbarians to spawn - and I prefer to do some ethnic cleansing due to stability/happiness reasons). This is impossible if the city is a founding city of a religion.

My typical solution was to send Inquisitors, get rid of religions and burn the city, but now it seems to be impossible - sending Inquisitors often makes citizens angry and even if the mission is completed, I cannot clean the founding city status (even if temporarily there are no believers). Is this by design?

I have come back after some break. My typical strategy is Domination (Aztecs, Authority -> Progress -> Imperialism) and I tend to burn all non-capital rival cities (I prefer much loser city placement and leave some space for Barbarians to spawn - and I prefer to do some ethnic cleansing due to stability/happiness reasons). This is impossible if the city is a founding city of a religion.

My typical solution was to send Inquisitors, get rid of religions and burn the city, but now it seems to be impossible - sending Inquisitors often makes citizens angry and even if the mission is completed, I cannot clean the founding city status (even if temporarily there are no believers). Is this by design?
Yes. Inquisitors remove holy city status if it exists, and cuts the amount of foreign religion pressure in a city by 50%.

Top Bottom