Quitters

I didn't buy a whole new PC for Civ4 but I did shell out for a new(at the time) Radeon 9800 Pro video card, so I could take part in the Civ4 beta test. And I did buy a new RoG ASUS G-51 gaming laptop for Civ5, since it is particularly demanding on graphics.

And I agree that using dx9 will help people with performance if they are having issues with DX11. If you haven't read Anandtech's really good article on Civ5's graphic engine it is here

http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=smf&topic=9586.0

CS

I have a very strict policy on quitting. I believe that if your capital is taken you should be able to quit, and I act on that policy. Then there are gray areas. Such as 2v1's. Scenarios that I would view quitting as legitimate would probably be a scenario where three nations are about the same tech, about the same size, and two of them gang up on one. That's just unsportsmanlike. Now here's what happened with me once: I was Rome and I attacked another Rome to my south, he beat me back, but I captured his capital and he recaptured it. So his capital was down to one population and he was pretty crippled. So I moved my army north and tried to conquer French cities. I succeeded in conquering one, but he got crossbowmen so I burned it. So I gobbled up a bunch of citystates and became massive. I didn't resent them for joinly attacking me, in fact I expected it. I was much larger than they were and I had attacked them BOTH in the past (and my empire was growing really close to them). I held them off for over a hundred turns and even started beating Rome until France teched ahead and started pushing me back. I was going to play through til one of them got my capital but the game crashed. Another situation where it would be wrong to quit in a 2v1 situation would be if you attacked one guy and then the other guy joined in to keep you from conquering him. In that situation a peace compromise SHOULD be able to be reached, probably to your loss. If they refuse peace then they're being kind of unreasonable, but you should play through to your capital I think.

When players complain about my quitting when my capital is taken I universally tell them that I will stay if every single one of them says this statement: "I do not care if you cannot win and will not enjoy yourself for the rest of the game. I want you to stay anyway, even though the game will not be any fun for you, because it will make the game more enjoyable for me." And so far that has happened once and I stayed, true to my word. I believe such a policy would preclude me from joining "No Quitters".

I have a very strict policy on quitting. I believe that if your capital is taken you should be able to quit, and I act on that policy. Then there are gray areas. Such as 2v1's. Scenarios that I would view quitting as legitimate would probably be a scenario where three nations are about the same tech, about the same size, and two of them gang up on one. That's just unsportsmanlike. Now here's what happened with me once: I was Rome and I attacked another Rome to my south, he beat me back, but I captured his capital and he recaptured it. So his capital was down to one population and he was pretty crippled. So I moved my army north and tried to conquer French cities. I succeeded in conquering one, but he got crossbowmen so I burned it. So I gobbled up a bunch of citystates and became massive. I didn't resent them for joinly attacking me, in fact I expected it. I was much larger than they were and I had attacked them BOTH in the past (and my empire was growing really close to them). I held them off for over a hundred turns and even started beating Rome until France teched ahead and started pushing me back. I was going to play through til one of them got my capital but the game crashed. Another situation where it would be wrong to quit in a 2v1 situation would be if you attacked one guy and then the other guy joined in to keep you from conquering him. In that situation a peace compromise SHOULD be able to be reached, probably to your loss. If they refuse peace then they're being kind of unreasonable, but you should play through to your capital I think.

When players complain about my quitting when my capital is taken I universally tell them that I will stay if every single one of them says this statement: "I do not care if you cannot win and will not enjoy yourself for the rest of the game. I want you to stay anyway, even though the game will not be any fun for you, because it will make the game more enjoyable for me." And so far that has happened once and I stayed, true to my word. I believe such a policy would preclude me from joining "No Quitters".

NQ rule number 1: When your cap is taken you can quit/leave/concede game.

NQ rule number 1: When your cap is taken you can quit/leave/concede game.

I did retake my capital twice. and like 10 or more turns later. Mainly because i was fighting somewhere else and came back to kick the ennemy out. But most of the time it's gg.

I did retake my capital twice. and like 10 or more turns later. Mainly because i was fighting somewhere else and came back to kick the ennemy out. But most of the time it's gg.

Sure. But every now and then, I stay to do everything in my power to destroy the game of my aggressor(s) even if cap has fallen. I can take great pleasure in that :)

To me it really depends on what kind of game it is. Conceding defeat in a duel or by a team in a team game is fine. But leaving a FFA/Cton changes the game entirely and gives the two players closest to you a huge advantage. Which is why we don't allow any excuse for quitting on the league. But hosts/players are free to make judgement calls on what they will allow in a game.

CS

In NQ they will never play a game with you unless you are playing on immortal and have a random civ. This takes most of the fun out of the game, ecspecially if you have implanted a strategy in a certain civ.

PFFFFFFFF. First game online. 4 person FFA. One quitted really quick because he had to 'walk the dog :( :('. Afterwards both Poland and Brittain ganged up on me. Not attacking each other while it was a four corner map and they could easily outwing the other one to make a huge dent in his military. After a long struggle (and it looked like they stretched my defeat) they both left the game.

Is this common? That Civ tells the other players left because my connection broke. Or did they just really played to beat someone together? :')

They weren't responsive in the chat as well so it sucked.....

PFFFFFFFF. First game online. 4 person FFA. One quitted really quick because he had to 'walk the dog :( :('. Afterwards both Poland and Brittain ganged up on me. Not attacking each other while it was a four corner map and they could easily outwing the other one to make a huge dent in his military. After a long struggle (and it looked like they stretched my defeat) they both left the game.

Is this common? That Civ tells the other players left because my connection broke. Or did they just really played to beat someone together? :')

They weren't responsive in the chat as well so it sucked.....

The game has stability issues. It's very possible that you lost your connection and so it said everyone quit except you.

It is also very possible that you ran into a couple of D-Bags. It was a 4 corner map after all which is abnormal. Most people play FFA with at least 6 players.

I had once walked into a d bag that I wanted to own so bad and could but couldn't because of disconnection problems. This has happened to me twice already and where it got disconnected the same way. However, when I am the d bag, the idiots don't get disconnected.

Top Bottom