Raging barbarians in LoR & other first impressions..

Saurus

Chieftain
Hi there,

I´m just playing my first game of LoR so are obviously still trying to get used to the changes. Some things I do like - others I like a little bit less.

What puzzeled me most was the "raging barbarian"-option.
In BTS, I´m used to play on a large pangea with raging barbarians.
Everyone used to this setting on higher difficulties knows what this means - stacks of barbarian archers & even axemen, spearmen and swordmen spawning early, hitting you from all directions.

After I updated to LoR, what I get with this settting is Barbarian scouts sometimes beefed up with barbarian warriors?? What is this supposed to be? I´m so shaking with terror!

Were are the barbarian hordes? Was the concept of "Raging barbarians" deliberately taken out of the game in this build?
Even barbarian cities are defended by warriors only, so It seems I just need to send one or two archers there to capture the cities.

The other thing puzzeling me is the revolution-index. Obviously a builder-minded player like me benefits from this entire build, particulary from the revolution index, more than a warmonger, as so far I have not had any problem with revolutions - something all A.I:s seems to constantly have. I can imagine I´m having a huge benefit here as beeing a non-agressive player.
The "enlightment"-trait I got randomly by becoming Saladin, have just given me even more power as this fits my builder-cultural strategy perfectly.

I´m a little bit frustrated by the fact that the revolution-index seems to be a little bit hard do understand at times. Sometimes it seems like if the pros overweight the cons .. and still the index is worsening. And vise versa ..

A complete list of all the factors affecting the revolution index, so that an pending revolution can be countered in the most efficent way, would be nice. Now I´m forced to guess all too often if the best thing is to build a theatre or a courthouse - since it seems the exact outcome is not clearly written down anywere.

A game or LoR seems to involve somewhat more micromanagement than a game of BtS. Espionage is expanded - but espionage already was too much of micromanagement int BtS. I sooo hate the destroyed windmills & mines - as they are not repaired by automated workers. During late game this might truely become a pain.
Revolution-index is a nice idea - but managing it is a pain due to many somewhat unclear factors. Cheap units & the introduction of rams seems to increase the number of units during early game, futher increasing micromanagement. I noted that some A.I:s seemed to have an huge early army of rams - this must drain heavily on their treasury early on. New civiilizations, witch keeps on spawning, but in truth are a non-entity when speaking of power, needs to be interacted with, futher increasing micromanagement. Theoreticly I can igonre them - but since other major A.I:s are interacting with them, I´m also affected. Currently I´m now somewhere in the middle of the industrial era, and I´m recognising that the micromanagement seems to just increasing while it already starts to be obvious that I´m going to win this game.

As a matter of fact, winning would have been even easier, would it to me have been known that "Raging barbarians" is not a factor anymore. Now I did build too many, compleatly unnessessary, military units early on in order to defend against a horde of barbarians - witch newer came.

The bottom line is, in BtS I LOSE most of my games when playing Monarch - but this time around I appear to win easily. Yet, becaouse of increased micromanagement, the game do not just feel smooth, so I won´t probably finnish this one.

One game is, of course, not enough in order to place a final verdict. I have to play a few games more and to sort out my mind, but this first game was more of a confusing experience, than a thrilling one.
I´ll probably move up one level to Emperor, and see what the next game has to offer me :) However, I´m afraid that the expanded micromanagement-problem will not be resolved by this.

Thumbs up for all the hard work done in order to create this unofficial expansion pack, though. With some updates, I believe this build might turn out into a masterpiece.

-S

Well in the test build I have given back all the starting techs barbarians got in BtS, but this has had the unfortunate side effect of making Barbarian Civ with Barbarian World being broken, you can get rushed by a dozen late ancient era units like axes and spears way too early to be able to cope with it. Will work on getting a fix for barbarian civ so it scales more apropriatly by era, not sure how long this will delay the next official release.

As far as too much micromanagement, well I haven't noticed a difference between LoR and BtS in that regard, unless you try to overexpand and hold onto your far off cities, but really if you overexpand you are asking for revolutions, that's the name of the game.

Top Bottom