• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Cities

Thorburne

Centurion
Is anybody else glad for the random cities when founding new cities after the capital? This is definitely a welcome change of pace for me. It kind of got boring with the same cities founded in order every play-through. It's a minor thing, but something that I think really helps to freshen up each play-through.

And it also means that you can't look at a new city and instantly figure out how many cities that civ has previously founded. No more "Since that's Ravenna [5th city on Rome's Civ V city list], Rome has founded at least 4 other cities."

Yes... a big plus as well. I wonder, though, if you would still be able to rename when you found a city? In case you want a particular one and it doesn't pull that one up... or you just want to name your own...

And it also means that you can't look at a new city and instantly figure out how many cities that civ has previously founded. No more "Since that's Ravenna [5th city on Rome's Civ V city list], Rome has founded at least 4 other cities."

I like that as well.

On the other hand, with the new Settler lens, you can glean so much information about areas that you haven't explored yet. You can look at the tiles next to the fog and see where fresh water is, where coast, where other cities.

The lenses are another thing that I like. I am looking forward to a lot of the big mechanic changes and how they play out. The little touches, however, are really intriguing me and making it hard to even look at V again.

I downloaded a mod to randomize all the city names after the capital in Civ V. Glad that's standard again.

Yea, this small change is a thing of beauty. When you scout, you can't really say how many cities ai has and it gives a fresh flavor every time, early to mid game. And there are a lot of this small things and mechanics that will give different feel for civ vi. I am really liking a lot of what i'm seeing in gameplay videos, i just want to feel asap if playing it will give back the tension and strategy feel back, i just hope it won't be "flat" like civ 5. The victory conditions development and feel is what will make or break the new civ vi. If victory conditions feel right and give satisfaction and challenge while pushing for it, we will have a great civ game.

Yes, I agree. I like this a lot.

I wonder, though, if you would still be able to rename when you found a city? In case you want a particular one and it doesn't pull that one up... or you just want to name your own...

When you found a religion in Civ 6, you can choose a custom name if you want. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do the same with your cities.

I think there must be some settings that they have done which will pick cities' name. According to what I've seen, all the cities that have been found at coast are given the real costal cities' name.

Calouste said:
with the new Settler lens, you can glean so much information about areas that you haven't explored yet. You can look at the tiles next to the fog and see where fresh water is, where coast, where other cities.

Is it really so? Give me SS of this, please...

Is it really so? Give me SS of this, please...

it's interesting. Because since you can't settle too close to cities, the land is marked red even if you haven't seen the city. It's not that difficult to base settler lenses on visible information only, though.

On the other hand, with the new Settler lens, you can glean so much information about areas that you haven't explored yet. You can look at the tiles next to the fog and see where fresh water is, where coast, where other cities.

The lense is still such a nice qol-improvement, I am willingly pay this price. And with the new freshwater-mechanism, I would say the lense is even crucial!

Totally unrelated (and honestly quite unimportant) question:
What will happen with the "unused" name, if you decide to re-name your newly founded city? Will it be in the pool again or is it "lost"?

The lense is still such a nice qol-improvement, I am willingly pay this price. And with the new freshwater-mechanism, I would say the lense is even crucial!

Totally unrelated (and honestly quite unimportant) question:
What will happen with the "unused" name, if you decide to re-name your newly founded city? Will it be in the pool again or is it "lost"?
I'm assuming that it goes back into the pool. In V, if you had New York as the next city and revamped it to Baltimore, the next city founded after that would come up New York. Also, our a city was raised, the next city to be founded would take that name (that was kinda annoying to me).

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

On one hand, fully ordered city lists are terrible because well they are the same and boring in every game, it is really boring and nonsensical to be able to immediately rate the quality and quantity of cities basing on their names (this was to some extent possible in civ5 - New York was very high on the list so if you saw it you knew it was like second settled American city which means it is developed etc etc).

On the another hand, fully random city lists are pretty weird - after all, it is cooler to settle some huge recognizable cities ('oh I have built my own Hamburg!') rather than more obscure and minor ones ('I have found... Leverkusen...').

I think the best middle way would be weighed city lists, with some city names having higher chance of appearing early than others - you would have variation each game, but also a tendency for significant cities IRL to be significant in game as well.

With full random, you also need longer lists for all civs. I don't want fantasy names and fast repetitions like in Civ 3 (e.g. Hitties). Also I'd prefer if no foreign cities are included, unlike in Civ 4 (e.g. Sumer). This is no problem for most civs. But it might ruin it for some...

On one hand, fully ordered city lists are terrible because well they are the same and boring in every game, it is really boring and nonsensical to be able to immediately rate the quality and quantity of cities basing on their names (this was to some extent possible in civ5 - New York was very high on the list so if you saw it you knew it was like second settled American city which means it is developed etc etc).

On the another hand, fully random city lists are pretty weird - after all, it is cooler to settle some huge recognizable cities ('oh I have built my own Hamburg!') rather than more obscure and minor ones ('I have found... Leverkusen...').

I think the best middle way would be weighed city lists, with some city names having higher chance of appearing early than others - you would have variation each game, but also a tendency for significant cities IRL to be significant in game as well.

To my understanding, it is random out of the next 10 cities on the list. In other words, if (after Washington) the list contains:

1. New York
  2. Boston
  3. Philadelphia
  4. Chicago
  5. Atlanta
  6. Baltimore
  7. Kansas City
  8. St Louis
  9. Los Angeles
  10. San Francisco
  11. Dallas
  12. San Diego
  13. Detroit
  14. Cleveland
  15. Sacremento
  16. Miami
  17. Orlando
  18. New Orleans

And the player founds their second city, the random choices will be from New York to San Francisco. Say that Atlanta is chosen, then the 3rd city will be from between New York to Dallas with the exclusion of Atlanta. And so on.

Note: The list that I made above does not necessarily reflect the official order of American Cities. I just started typing city names as they came to mind for demonstration purposes.

I really want them to add an optional option to pick, so the randomizer picks 3 cities from the list adn then you choose the name, like in Revolution.

I liked it better with a fixed list. It made sense to have Orleans the second French city all the time. If city lists get big, getting an unheard-of city as second city will just be a pain. See Call to Power for how not to do good city names lists.

Top Bottom