Random Events Mod V0.1 - Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it stop all fighting and invoke complete world peace like in real life? wasnt that the prpose of the Olympics? all fighting would stop and nations would prove there strengths by competing in the games.

just wanted to chime in, awesome idea! i can't wait until more of this stuff is out, each step makes the game much better

ideas for random events:

climate shifts: although they were rare they did happen. the "little ice age" for example.

alien landing!: grants all techs to random civ. okay just kidding

Revolutions/civil wars: This would be my favorite, although I think it should be based less on randomness and more on controllable factors such as having your whole state one religion except one city, etc.

Xanthra said:
Does it stop all fighting and invoke complete world peace like in real life? wasnt that the prpose of the Olympics? all fighting would stop and nations would prove there strengths by competing in the games.

Historically, the Ancient Olympics tended to to do something along those lines, namely wars were suspended for the duration of the Olympics. Conversely, for the Modern Olympics, the Olympics were suspended during WWI and WWII.

Xanthra said:

Of course not!:rolleyes: It only EVER stopped wars in ancient greece. Athens&Sparta would stop quabbling, comptete, and start bashing eachother with spears for 4 years. Now, wars stop the Olympics. (may I recall 1918 when the olympics wasn't held because of WW1, and they didn't have them during WW2, I think, either)

Great idea. Can you set it up to use Roman numerals instead of Arabic? The 3 Olympiad does sound as cool as the III Olympiad.

Now does it end as soon as the first player moves out of the Ancient Era?

one thing to also consider with the random events mod is terrorist attacks, say once you get to the modern area implement a new tech called fanatism and with that terrorist attacks, they work againts you and AI civs, maybe say destroying a city improvement and reducing pop, and also if a terrorist attack originates from a certain nation that will allow you to attack that nation without getting a bad rep from other nations, i dont know how that would work but i think it would be a *****en' idea :>

Personally, I'd rather terrorist attacks be a spy mission, but who knows if that's possible.

Well, it could always be possible for random terrorist attacks to happen, of course. :p

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

But i'd still like to know if it's possible to make it a little bit more flexible qua turns

You can change the values in the CvRandomEventsScreen file. Its really easy as I've commented which values do what.

Very good: another one could be Nobel prizes in order to boost science

I'm pretty sure there's no function that lets you increase the current amount of research. I'd have to double check.
In wait for the SDK maybe use a inmobile unit or a building that shows that a certain city have held an Olympics. Then by counting all of them you can see the number.
You might be able to pickle or shelve data to be carried over from one session to the next.

That's what I was going to look into. As I was saying I think there's a function that lets you save script data into cities which I think is included in save games. It requires more investigation.

Does the mod show when the olympics are held in other cities?(for AI, assuming they get this too)

Yes, and the AI's get the bonus too.

You could add plagues or outbreaks of diseases, reducing the pop and creating unhealthy penalties.

You could add weather hinderences/benefits - major storms, disasters or even pleasant weather to attract people.

I'm planning to add all types of events. I'm still not sure about how feasable some of them are though with present script capabilities. Plagues will be the next thing in, assuming I'm able to find a good solution for file input/output for saving/loading games, and a few other things I have planned.

Ideally I would have liked to do volcanoes or hurricanes and have graphics on the map for it but I dont think its possible at this stage.

creating unhealthy penalties

You can only query this value, its not possible to directly change the health of a city as the game calculates it automatically from the tiles around the city and the city's building.

One thing I need to investigate is whether it is possible to adjust the resources on an individual tile. Perhaps one way is to create a new resource type, like the "fallout", which you can add around cities by scripts. I'm not sure if this is possible.

Install instructions [EDIT: in the zipfile]

Will do.

Great idea. Can you set it up to use Roman numerals instead of Arabic? The 3 Olympiad does sound as cool as the III Olympiad.

Roman numerals was how I originally wanted to do it but it requires a fair bit of extra work. Maybe someone else could do it for me :p

If youre going to make disieses try making it like a religion, but with negitive effects. That way it spreads to everyone. Then maybe you could build buildings to prevent it, like hospitals or sewers or something.

That's what I was going to do, assuming its possible to read city locations (I'm not at home now so I cant check this).

I just got finished playing with this mod enabled and it rocks hard!!. a couple of suggestions and comments, a couple people have suggested having to build a wonder to enable the random event, i think this would be a whicked idea but to elaberate on this i tihnk that you should have to build two wonders, one for the ancient era and one for the modern area. Im not too up on my history but im pretty sure there was a period of time when the olympics werent around. i think it should happen through out the game but have it so that when you build the ancient era it gives certain bonuses and when you build the mordern one it gives different ones. Also it was suggested that you should have to vote on which city its held. This is another whicked idea, when i played the olympics where just held in the same two cities the whole time, this would help make the mod more real. This is also where building the wonders to enable the olympics would come in, this would enable the vote. Another comment on the plague as a religion type to set up, this is a good idea but how would you get rid of it, im pretty sure in mordern days its hard to find somewhere with the plague. Also i made a suggestion for another mod in another thread that i think would work well, having a buildable wonder such as the NFL, or NHL or NBA, and for a random event having the super bowl or the stanely cup playoffs, you could have the benefits be something like +10 commerece for the turn and +5 sheilds in every city for the turn. Just some suggestions, and again awesome idea for a mod i love it!!!

Just a thought for a bit better formatting:

Code:
self.TITLE_TEXT = "<font=4>" + "Ancient Games of the " + str(self.olympicCounter) + suffix(self.olympicCounter) + " Olympiad" + "</font>"

def suffix(counter):
       if(((counter % 100) == 11)||((counter % 100) == 12)||((counter % 100) == 13)):
          return "th"
       else if ((counter % 10) == 1) :
          return "st"
      else if ((counter % 10) == 2):
          return "nd"
      else if ((counter % 10) == 3):
          return "rd"
      else:
          return "th"

Note: I'm fairly fluent in most other programming languages besides python, so if my syntax is a bit off, that's why.

|| = or

If the plague is a religion, you would be able to easily block it by switching to the civic which prevents non-state religion spread.

IMHO it might be worth making plagues be a building instead, and using scripts to spread them.

Winning an olympics is a nice feature. Maybe winning the olympics can be made on something interactive. Too bad there are no sport schools (is this english?) as building to build. However when an olympics is held the number of great cultural people or something like that can be used to 'spend' for the olympics. The higher the spending the more chances. The winner should be rewarded likewise (more culture points and/or gold). Or maybe a free artist since it will influence lots of people.

Very nice mod. Some people here have suggested to have wonders etc, but my suggestion would be to have a colosseum / stadium type of building as a prerequiste.

Haven't tried this mod yet, but it sounds great! :goodjob:

Some ideas... I think the vote for the Olympic Games would be great. If certain Civ's are at war at the time the vote comes up, give them the option to sign a Peace Treaty (this would have to be unanimous between the parties involved). If they don't sign the treaty, they can't compete.

Also, what about adding events to the Olympic Games? In ancient times, it could be chariot races and the like, and once railroads come into play, the modern events like football/soccer could take place. Maybe start out with 6 events, and add more as time progresses. The winners of the different events would have happiness/culture added to the cities or entire civs until the next Olympic Games take place.

Also, maybe as time progresses the summer/winter games could alternate as they do currently. Geography could come into place with tundras/ice cities having a better chance of getting the winter games, and cities with warmer climates hosting the summer games.

Also, what about an option for adding some of your tax/research/culture percentage to Olympic Training for a short duration prior or during the Games? It could maybe work something like the unit promotions?

I like the idea of the IOC, too!

This could bring a whole new dimension of competition to the game. :crazyeye:

I have a fabulous idea. Have religions be the same way. When the tech to "found" a religion is discovered it chooses the city at random that is the Holy City. This makes people (like me) who never pick a spiritual leader get Buddhism. Also, it burns people who only go after Religious techs. I played one game where I founded 4 religions, I'm playing one game where there was a civ that had no religion, because they got Theocracy with no Religion! I think that there should be a way to get it, like population size and technological advancement to help. That would be awesome to me. Also, the only reason I can think of the Olympics stopping was the Greek states really fell apart, If a Civilization kept them up they might not have ended.

DireAussie said:
There is one known error in this mod - it will report the Olympiad number, but it will reset between saves. At the moment there's no easy way to save data in the save game file. I think there's a savescriptdata function but it looks like its only through the CyCity class, which is strange. I've yet to investigate creating my own file for saving data, but it would be difficult because you'd have to track the correct save game (I guess you could force the user to only play one game though). Unfortunately this is absolutely essential for some of the random events I'd like to create, such as plagues that last over a series of turns. Maybe I'll try that in a future release.

Have you looked at the Desert War scenario script? It seems to save some data using setScriptData for the CyPlayer class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom