Random UHV musings

Nationalism, actually. On viceroy, I had managed to get all the UHV areas w/o occupation. But as I said, on monarch that kills. And I hope you know that you need only European Russia, and you only need more cities than the Ruskies/Indies. You don't have to get all the cities.
In fact, if they collapse you only need a single city (unless Leoreth has changed this in DoC). Athens, Rome, Paris, London, Oslo and Moscow are enough to obtain the conquering part of the UHV as long as the six relevant civs have collapsed :)

I haven't changed that, although I've often thought I should.

Because if you see their caravel before they see your borders, they don't get the conquerors!

I've got to do something now, will reply for the rest later.;)
:eek: I didn't know that! Wouldn't have helped in the Inca game, as French actually came from the west across the Pacific, but definitely would've helped the Mayans and Aztecs.

If that changes, there should be a way to win the UHV via capitulation (imo of course ;))
Yes! I even have all necessary code already because that's how Japan currently works.

:eek: I didn't know that! Wouldn't have helped in the Inca game, as French actually came from the west across the Pacific, but definitely would've helped the Mayans and Aztecs.

Most of the times, I find that they come from south of Tierra Del Fuego. Or they may meet your settlers in the north/east coast too;)

Nope.
In Italy you need Venice/Neapolis.
In England you need at least one more city.
In France you need at least 1-2 cities more.
In Scandie you need at least 1-2 cities more.
In Russia you may need many more cities, depending on what cities Russia settles.

This is just simply incorrect. Killerkebab had it right in the first place. Please if you don't have all the facts don't make it up as you go and post incorrect information. The independents DO NOT COUNT.

This is just simply incorrect. Killerkebab had it right in the first place. Please if you don't have all the facts don't make it up as you go and post incorrect information. The independents DO NOT COUNT.

Oops, sorry. I didn't see that he said 'if they collapse'. I was sort of in a hurry. Sorry again to anyone I may have misguided.

Thank you, along with America it's the only UHV I've ever managed to win :lol:

Yes! I even have all necessary code already because that's how Japan currently works.
This might be a little off topic (if so I apologise) but what determines whether a civ will capitulate to you? I've never had it happen to me. It appears in the list of peace terms, but in red, sometimes with the caption "we're doing fine on our own" (no you're not, the tanks are outside the Kremlin :lol:). The AI is willing to give me all of its money, the world map, sometimes even money per turn or some cities but never capitulation...

War success, i.e. just beat the crap out of them enough with as few losses as possible. I actually capped Russia as Germany and gave them their lands back after the victory condition was marked as fulfilled. Unfortunately that somehow ended up collapsing them...

I understand your perspective there. I think it's a matter of taste, I like to keep on playing after the UHV and go for domination. Kind of rough with some of them. :)

I don't mind UHVs that require novel strategies, but I dislike the ones that require you to do things that would otherwise be stupid or counterproductive, or which are completely ahistorical (e.g. India having to persue a daft tech path in order to found a whole load of religions that they didn't in real life).

I don't mind UHVs that require novel strategies, but I dislike the ones that require you to do things that would otherwise be stupid or counterproductive, or which are completely ahistorical (e.g. India having to persue a daft tech path in order to found a whole load of religions that they didn't in real life).

You might have failed to notice, but each civ has one UHV goal that is outside their actual historical achievements.

Hey, I seem a little late to the party as well, just wanted to get the discussion going a bit and (hopefully) pick up some tips.

Here's my musings from my experience on monarch.

I play the "Civilizations in abundance" mod btw, so there's a few discrepancies.

Completed, trivial:
Egypt //Never failed with egypt, popping the GA with music was just too easy. Nobody to content with, except the barbs later on.

Completed, Easy:
Netherlands //just not that much challenge here, except getting those plantations up in time
France //I lost notre dame once, but fairly easy other than that, thanks to the UU
Babylon //not too hard, never got beat to monarchy thankfully
Sumeria //beat to alphabet once, otherwise fairly reliable
Portugal // Failed the map goal once, but the extra civs in this mod makes open borders a snap.

Completed, Medium:
Maya //Failed 3-4 times, managed to get both the temple and the calendar. The rest was just waiting, and getting optics to ignore conquerors.
Persia //Wonderfully fun (28'000 score or so)
Rome //barely won, by the end my entire empire consisted of my capital, thanks to civil war :S
Russia // the science goal requires a small territory, so it didn't feel very russian.
Japan //Only made the science goal by building the internet, close game for me. Probably shoulda taken korea, rather than just vassilizing them.

Completed, Hard:
Carthage //almost failed, die is difficult, empire is tough to defend, barely managed to circumnavigate with my stability almost at -50 and civil war imminent.

Having trouble with all the other though, especially (duh) Ethiopia. With byzantium as a proper civ, cristianity is found before I even start half the time (and I dont want to do any egypt prophet feeding or stuff like that).

With the kemer, I can never get the 30% buddism score, do temples/monestaries increase this?

cheers
Derrick

And yes, I heard about an exploit involving warriors and China that makes it much easier, but that's just silly.
Are you talking about sending warriors to harass China? If that's the case, why would you consider attacking your competition to be an exploit?

update: just beat India by destroying china ;).

So i'm guessing all those temples/monestaries I built did nothing? :(

Yes, they didn't. The number you're looking for is the percentage given in the Religion advisor screen, which is only influenced by the number of people following that religion (larger cities account for more, so spread it to Europe primarily).

Finally got it done in 1902 by sending them to america primarily. Hard UHV, must've tried 10 times between plagues for the pop goal, and a closed-border china for the 3rd goal, I had a lot of trouble with this one.

On to china next, wish me luck with all those temples :/

Top Bottom