1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranged Attack Penalty

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by ASCII Guy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ASCII Guy

ASCII Guy Chieftain

There has been a change in the way ranged attacks affect units since the September 15th beta.
    Code:
    Experimental: Units no longer suffer additional damage from ranged attacks based on missing health
               i.e. a unit with 25 HP or 100HP will have the same effective CS against ranged attacks
                Rationale: damaged units are more spread out, thus they are not easier for ranged units to kill - does not affect other promotion elements, just missing health bonus for ranged attacks.
               Can be disabled - set BALANCE_CORE_RANGED_ATTACK_PENALTY to 0 in  CBO

Now that the change has been in the mod for many months, I wanted to know people's opinion on it. Especially with the recent buffs to land melee, nerfs to non-mounted/non-siege ranged, and drastic changes to mounted range.

CrazyG and vyyt like this.
  2. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

I like the change, I think the change should stay.

CrazyG likes this.
  3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I'm generally in favor of anything that makes melee stronger against ranged, so I'm a fan of letting it stay. It also makes the barrage promotion for ranged more useful

vyyt and CrazyG like this.
  4. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

Forgot about this, no wonder it wasn't so easy to pick off weak Units with Ranged Attacks.

5. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

Honestly, I hadn't noticed, but it explains the resilience of some of my units in my past few games. I'll take it.