RAs and the Median

ColinTH

Prince
My understanding of RAs and the mean seems to be flawed, ever since the patch I have been unable to play civ5 to a reasonable standard.

Lets assume I have the Porcelain Tower and am into the Renaisance era, I have the following sciences available to discover on a quick game and the RA comes into effect on my next turn.

Horsebackriding - 1 turn - 62 science points, in this turn I discover horsebackriding which in turn opens up Chivalry.

Chivalry - 2 turns 165 science points
Currency - 2 turns 165
Machinery - 4 292
Gunpowder - 6 470
Archeaology -12 964
total = 2185

My understanding is by working on the same principle as the average would be.
5/2185 = 437 science points.
This is incorrect, but could anyone please tell me why?

Whilst we are on the subject, if I had taken out Multiple RAs (eleven of them) and had Biology as the chosen path how far would I get? All I know is that if I hand picked every RA the same as pre patch I would have got to Biology and had an extra pick!

Please explain in simple terms because I am simple, I have only just learned what a fraction is because someone took the trouble to explain to me that if you cut a pie into four equal pieces for four people we get one piece each 1/4 (it was like a Eureka moment for me and I am 55 years old)!

Thanks in advance.

Our war academy article about research agreements explains it ;).

For example, on standard speed a research agreement signed on turn 60 will add beakers at the beginning of turn 91. If the technologies available are:

• Education - 533 beakers
  • Chivalry - 533 beakers
  • Compass - 412 beakers
  • Construction - 115 beakers
  • Bronze Working - 60 beakers

the median tech, Compass, is 412 beakers, and 206 beakers will be granted by the research agreement.

You are confusing median and mean. The mean is calculated as you have done, the median is calculated by taking the middle value in the string of numbers. In the case of a string with an even amount of numbers it is calculated by taking the mean of the middle pair. In your example the median is 292.

Thanks callan for the simplicity of your answer, that's exactly what I needed.

Thanks The J
As far as the war acadamy is concerned, I avoid these places like the plague, I could be wrong but I imagine it is a step by step guide of how to play some aspects of the game at the highest level. I would be intrigued and I would read every snippet of information, but from that moment on I become a clone without my own thoughts!

Top Bottom