Rat44 CCM - Ultimate Challenge

Congrats everyone. Looking forward to the ultimate, ULTIMATE game up next.

Good work on finishing up.

I am still liking the idea where the AI can make settlers and we can't AND we can't keep enemy towns. It forces a low town count for us, good town location, and republic to keep up.

I personally think we could win this on deity - remember we eventually get to build settlers. However if we want an easier game or test the concept first, then demigod would work.

However, if the above variant is too different from our normal war-mongering ways, we can do something else.

The idea of our not being allowed to keep enemy cities is interesting, as a new approach to the problem of our winning the game early every time. But combining this with free settler builds for the AI looks like suicide to me--we would have been crushed in this game if we hadn't been able to add Canada to our core early on.

Also, we should bear in mind that not being able to capture and use Wonders is a greater handicap in CCM than in C3C, given the usefulness of free religious communities. So perhaps we could try the no-captured-cities concept alone, or return to the idea of a mandatory republic, or both?

No captured cities would be ok with normall CCM. We could see how that plays out.
From playing 5CC games in the past, I think the original idea is winnable, but it might require time to find the right playing style.

Normal CCM does remove the biggest risk which is a run-away civ taking the game. The AI will be much more balanced.

No capturing of enemy cities will be a huge handicap by itself. I guess deity would be too far of a stretch.

One strategy could be to try and get the pyramids for some additional settlers.

No capturing of enemy cities will be a huge handicap by itself.

If we do this, we should definitely allow ourselves to hold captured cities until we abandon them at the end of the turn. The goal is a strategic handicap that adds interest, not a tactical handicap that adds boredom.

Ya, that seems fine to me, thouqh we should be careful to remember that if a city has unhappiness and you abandon it, that unhappiness moves to your nearest city.

Also since the AI can't build settlers either they won't be bigger than us on average. I don't think playing deity will be too hard.

Ok, so which nation should we choose for this?

Is the usual team in to play this?

I'm not in a position to look over all the possibilities, but I assume we'll want a scientific civ to keep us from falling too far behind in tech under these constraints.

I may have some timing problems, since I now won't be home until around October 27 (not a medical issue, this time :)), but I'm definitely in. :rockon:

In case it becomes relevant, what would I have to buy from Steam to get set up on a different computer? If I'd only need C3C, would any patches from this site be needed, or have they long since been incorporated in C3C?

In case it becomes relevant, what would I have to buy from Steam to get set up on a different computer? If I'd only need C3C, would any patches from this site be needed, or have they long since been incorporated in C3C?
Don't think you need Steam for C3C, nor CivIV.

At least, I don't have it and everything works just fine.

Don't think you need Steam for C3C, nor CivIV.

At least, I don't have it and everything works just fine.

No, but you can buy Civ 3 from Steam. In some circumstances, that's more convenient than trekking to Walmart and looking for a copy in the "old games" section :)

Congratulations for winning that monstrous game :clap: so the the last turns seem to be somewhat strenuous for you. It´s a pitty that the final screenshot about the duration of the game isn´t in the story. Here I always have the feeling that something is missing.

I´m very happy, that after such a massive CCM game as you did perform it here, you don´t discuss, if you ever will play CCM again, but how you will play it. :D:)

May be you have seen in the CCM thread, that I´m working on a new version of CCM. This version will offer a new variant about settlers. Settlers will still be autoproduced, but in the capital (and only in the capital) they also can be produced normally.

Do have some input about improving the late game of CCM (faster ships are still noted)?

@CommandoBob + Elephantium, are you in?

And who is going to start this game. Now that Civinator has brought up a new version, should we wait for that version?

By the way, LK is contemplating to start a new game for his world map :lol:

@NP, my good old Civ3 disc recently couldn't be read any longer and I bit the bullet and bought C3C on steam. While steam has its own issues, at least I don't need to meddle with the disc any longer. And it comes with all patches.
You will need to install CCM again however.

Now that Civinator has brought up a new version, should we wait for that version?

The new version is far from beeing ready and if all is running well, will come around in I/2013 as I only can work for CCM at the weekends and in the last (and may be next) weeks even that doesn´t seem to be possible. For the settlers alone about 20 palettes of those units must be reworked.

I'm in, but I might have limited availability. I've been going out a lot lately to escape from the empty house, so I have a harder time blocking out time to play a turnset now.

I'm in too, but I expect to have limited avallibity, abivallty, that word that Elephantium used, until after the elections. I know that Election Day is out; I'll be busy at the polls as an Election Judge for my precinct.

My Mom died back in July and we have some friends facing foreclouse/bankruptcy, so we (Mrs. CommandoBob and I) are taking over the Grandma Suite and letting our friends have the upstairs. We are still in the midst of the changeover.

And it seems so strange to be using my Mom's shower. When I was a kid that was a treat but now it is awkward. Mostly it is a reminder that she is gone and that still hurts a bit.

I like the changes Civinator has planned for the next version of CCM. I like being able to build settlers in the capitol normally. Does normal in this case mean CCM normal or C3C normal (population loss or not)? He has other changes in mind, too, and is planning to reduce the number of buildings, which is maxed out at 256 (city improvments, small wonders and great wonders).

By the way, LK is contemplating to start a new game for his world map :lol:
Well some of my old crowd is right here. :D

Anyone signing up?

I'm not in a position to look over all the possibilities, but I assume we'll want a scientific civ to keep us from falling too far behind in tech under these constraints.

I may have some timing problems, since I now won't be home until around October 27 (not a medical issue, this time :)), but I'm definitely in. :rockon:

I am fine with waiting a bit to start the next one. Election day is only about a week later than this so lets wait until at least Nov 7 to start. Then both CBob and NP will be more available.

sounds like a plan, Greebley

And it seems so strange to be using my Mom's shower. When I was a kid that was a treat but now it is awkward. Mostly it is a reminder that she is gone and that still hurts a bit.

My condolences. That's a very moving detail.

I like being able to build settlers in the capitol normally. Does normal in this case mean CCM normal or C3C normal (population loss or not)?

C3C-normal would tilt CCM sharply towards the human player, since he'd know how to run his capital as a proper settler pump and the AI wouldn't. So I assume it'll be CCM-normal.

My thanks to everyone who responded to my question about Steam :cool:, though with a post-election start it's probably an academic issue.

Top Bottom