Raze after annexing?

droberts97470

Warlord
I had this question in the mac forum but I didn't get any answers, since this forum gets more hits I put it here too.

I was late into a game where I had annexed too many cities after conquering. I really needed to get rid of some of them to get my happiness up, but I couldn't find a way.

Is there a way or a mod that would do it?

I don't believe you can raze a city after annexing, and know of now mods that would allow such a thing.

Have you built or purchased courthouses for those annexed cities? Or bought happiness buildings?

If so, and your unhappiness is still high, maybe sell some of those cities?

I've sold cities (ones I got from a city flipping). I puppeted and sold. Not sure about annexed. But I thought you could sell or trade cities (except capitals or former capitals).

Hopefully an expert here will chime in.

I don't know about the mac version but on the windows version you can raze the city from the city screen. I can't think of any reason why this would not be available on the mac version so check the city screen, there should be a big button in the center part.

Any city that could originally be razed, can be razed after annexing. This however does not decrease the counter for maximum number of cities, so you still have the science and social policy penalty for the city.

If you plan on selling conquered cities right away, the best is to select raze and sell it on the same turn. I don't think this increase the counter for maximum number of cities, and you can sell the most expensive building for extra gold.

^^It's the same on the Mac version, so far as I know. I've never had to raze a city after I annexed it.

You should be able to raze any cities you captured, that isn't holy cities, CS or original capital cities. You should also be able to raze cities after annexed.

I was late into a game where I had annexed too many cities after conquering. I really needed to get rid of some of them to get my happiness up, but I couldn't find a way. Is there a way or a mod that would do it?
You probably do not want a mod since managing happiness is core game play. Mostly, you want to manage your pace of conquering better and annex less. Unless you have one of the Courthouse tenets from Autocracy or Order, puppetting or razing is usually the better choice.

For the game in play, all you can do (in the short term, to increase happiness) is to sell or gift cities to an AI.

Razing cities, until the cities are gone, decreases happiness even more than annexing -- so that is probably not a good choice for the game you are currently playing!

I've sold cities (ones I got from a city flipping). I puppeted and sold. Not sure about annexed. But I thought you could sell or trade cities (except capitals or former capitals).
You would have been better served if you razed and sold (because, as claudiupb pointed out, you could have sold off the most expensive building first). Annexed cities can be sold, as can former capitals.

I've never had to raze a city after I annexed it.
Needing to raze after annexing pretty much only happens if the game takes a serious nose dive. You have to be pretty desperate since it makes happiness worse in the short term and increases your science and SP costs for the long term.

I will look and see if it works on the mac.
I am on a Mac. The options are the same.

Another option might be to starve your cities one or two pops. No extra unhappiness from razing this way.

^^Nice! One cannot starve down a puppet city, but since OP has already annexed, he has that option! That is prolly better than my suggestion to sell them off.

You can only raze cities you capture, I believe.

You can raze after annexing.

Note that razing doesn't (I think) give you cash for selling buildings, so every turn you can get some money by selling off buildings in the city you're razing.

^^Well, truth be told, it is not that much gold. I think you get 125 for big things like a research lab.

^^Yeah--you're right it's not much. But I guess it's better than nothing. I'll have to remember to do that my next game.

Thanks.

Top Bottom