1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real World

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Naokaukodem, Jan 17, 2006.

1. malclave

malclave King

Maybe the game has been modded? ;)

(yeah, I know about only 3 cities being necessary... it was a pun about hte US exporting its culture. Though actually, I guess all the Starbucks and Micky Ds out there are really just culture bombs, so I guess it would be a Domination victory attempt).

Depends on just how many Great Artists you can crank out, doesn't it? :D

2. Nooble

Nooble Warlord

China would of already won with a Domination Population victory.

3. zeise

zeise Lord Emperor

I'm just glad that America rebeled against the English Empire(as it was called) and stopped their Domination attempt.

4. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Well, that's the point. What do you think a Space Victory is?

Space is a Victory just because of the domination one country would have on another planet... Victories are related to domination of the world, not less. (Even if I doubt that the first to send a ship would truly dominate the new world. We never know. It should be a kind of non victory condition in fact, because it would allow the things to continue over the Earth frontiers and prevent the cultural mixing for a global Earth culture.)

5. Polopapolo

Polopapolo click, psht, Whoop ass !!

About Starbucks and McDonalds: They seem to be more consistent with religion...

+ Culture and Happiness for the city.
    McDonalds Holy City (Des Plaines, Il?), + gold.
    Instead of being a missionary, it's a franchisee unit.

McDonalds as spread in Moscow! Gorbatchev converts to capitalism! (and after the revolution is replaced by Yeltsin !?)

6. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Victory Conditions not yet explored:

Diplomatic :crazyeye:

Who is winning this one?

Not to mention which contries currently have Permanent Alliances?
    Because then would they be considered One power?

In any case my patrotic vote for Canada for winning would only be realized if a new victory condition was enabled:

Lowest Population Density :lol:

With a whopping 3 People per Sq. KM or for my American friends
    8 people per Sq. Mi.

Although I can't remeber back to grade 11 Geography I am sure one country had a lower one....but the question was who :confused:

7. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Egypt- culture...

Atlantis- space race

8. nekom

nekom Warlord

It's a fascinating game to watch in any case. Also, I notice they're playing with the blue marble mod.

9. BLOODYBATTLEBRA

BLOODYBATTLEBRA Chieftain

Just a quick nitpick, there is no culture/country called Europe. If there was one, it would nullify the spanish, french, english and german civs in the game...

Having said that, I would put England, or the USA for cultural victory, or maybe China, on account of how many people speak english or chinese (mandarin, cantonese etc etc etc)

However, as 'England' on it's own was relatively weak, Queen Lizzie 1 non withstanding, I always wonder why they didn't label this facton as the 'British'...but that's discussed elsewhere!

Although the Romans could have conquered the world, not just Europe, had they wanted to.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Denmark? (it includes greenland)

11. IamSid

IamSid TheTrueIdiot!

For a Conquest victory it will be impossible.

Culture I say probably one of the Arabic countries or Israel(mostly because of holy cities)

Diplomatic: Obviously Canada(nobody does not like canada)

Domination: Possibly Russia they are the largest.

Space Race: International Community.

12. jar2574

jar2574 Prince

USA with cultural. L.A. built Hollywood. NYC built Broadway. DC has the palace. :) Its cultural borders have expanded so far that they intrude on all other continents.

Or USA with domination. Military bases in 132 countries. :blush:

Or USA won immediately after WWII by building UN and getting votes from over 60% of world population.

13. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

USA has no culture of its own. It has a pretty strong lead on domination but hasn't won yet (in fact, it's having a tough time in Iraq). As for diplomatic, it's the most hated country in the World! Anyone allying with them automatically gets a "-1 you have traded with our worst enemy" from most other nations! If the USA win, it will be domination, but i don't think the other nations will let them.

14. jar2574

jar2574 Prince

If you think that movies, rock n' roll, fast food, Constitutional government, and fashion are not culture, then you're right, USA has no culture of its own. But I would argue that these are aspects of modern culture, which the USA generates in large amount.

Yeah, but maybe the USA already won diplomatic victory, immediately after WWII. It would have gotten votes from most of the world at that point.

The rest of history has occurred after we pressed the "Wait...just one more turn," button.

15. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Diplomatic victory can't be won in multiplayer, because nobody would willingly elect someone else as winner. Therefore, in real life as in the game, the USA could not have won through the UN!

16. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

According to wikipedia Canada's at 10 from the bottom, with Australia the largest poulation of the other 9. Greenland is listed as the least dense territory, though at a whopping 0.03 people/square kilometre. Of course, Antarctica's not included since it has no permanent population.

17. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Although I have never played multiplayer, Is the diplomatic victory automatically disabled? or is your assumption that no one would ever vote to lose?

If it is the later, then your assumption is false. Although typical people will not vote to lose, they can and may do it. Not to mention a default 'Diplomatic' can be won if you have enough population to do so.

However although The U.S. did get 60% vote (I do not know this jsut going on what other people have posted) after the WWII, this would be a large enough percentage of the vote for a diplomatic win.

Now contradicting myself 60% of the national vote may have been enough if the population of these nations was high enough.
    (I can sure tell you Canada's 20-25 Million at the time wouldn't help much in a world with 5 Billion people)

If there were 1000 votes Canada would get: 4-5 Votes :mischief:
    The U.S. on the other hand (asuming 250 Million people at the time) gets 50 Votes :eek:

However this is still small compared to the total amounts of votes required

18. jar2574

jar2574 Prince

Diplo can be won in MP. Especially as a form of 'revenge' for an overagressive civ who is about to win via space race. It can be used as a way for the other civs to feel they had a hand in declaring the rightful victor.

But I think your analogy is faulty anyway, because even if a Civ4 victory condition is satisfied in real life, the "game" of real life will not end. So countries don't have that incentive preventing them from voting for the UN winner.

Since the USA may very well have received the support of 60% of the world's population immediately after WWII, it may have satisfied that victory condition. I think the placement of the UN within the USA is a sign that the USA at that point might have been a hypothetical 'winner.' Regardless, it would be a mistake to say it 'could not have won' because other countries wouldn't vote for it because the 'game' would be over.

19. Astalder

Astalder Chieftain

China might have had a rush culture victory in the start of the game, not so now. :) Give em 100 years and we'll see what victory condition they aim for and how they do (domination erm... or culture, we'll see!).

USA... space race or culture victory, considering the way democracy and capitalism have spread over the last 100 years.

Europe... prolly woulda won a culture victory a few hundred years ago, but I think the whole WW2 thing set them back a bit on the scoreboards.

Response to a troll, but it was worth writing just for the practice:

This statement is silly, while every nation can have its own individual characteristics, all culture is imported from somewhere else. England and France didn't transform from barbarian nations to colonial empires without a little help. America's definitely not as "aged" as the rest of the world but it has its own culture, a mix of new political theory combined with a different way of looking at the world (talk to any foreigner that's lived here for awhile, I know plenty myself).

Lol, points for comedy. I'm pretty sure Hitler hated the Allied Nations too, I bet they were burnt up about that -1 to faction penalty. Don't speak for the rest of the world, argue history if you want, speak for yourself, speculate for your country, but not the world. Everyone always hates whoever seems to be at the top, as a way of bring them down and propping themselves up. In 100 years from now if the USA just said screw it and let China become the primary superpower of the world, you'd be posting here about how the world hates China and it's people are always rioting.

With respect, if the USA wanted a domination victory, you would know it. Americans are wierd, we are... we can hate each other one day and die for each other the next. We'll let people blast us as oil grubbing, ignorant, self absorbed Christian crusaders one day, help them the next (*cough cough cough* INDONESIA *cough cough cough*. We're wierd.

The scariest thing about the immediate aftermath of 9/11 was the way the people reacted. Make no mistake, you ignorant fools that think George Bush is out to take over the world, if he had wanted to take the entire Middle East in the aftermath of 9/11 he could have gotten away with it. If you don't think the people would have let him, go back and dig up some old articles, polls, etc from those months. America's citizenship has got to be one the most successful checks on a superpower in world history, but in that case it was the politicians that were the check.

Lets be honest, if you stop looking at Iraq/Afghanistan thru the prism of current issues and politics, and instead thru the prism of history... they're pretty puny wars and they're both long over in every sense of a war ending. You sarcastically say the war in Iraq isn't going well... that's by our modern day super standards. Today we consider 2000 casualties extreme... compare that to Normandy. I can't remember the precise example, but I do believe some of our cities (a few combined for sure) probably have more murders a year than we lose soldiers to combat in Iraq. We consider a car bomb or two a month massive setbacks... compare that to 1941. We complain about still being there... we are still in Germany and Japan (lets not even start on how long England and France have been some places... oh wait that's a privilege, not an occupation). We've set up this insane new set of standards that no nation could meet on a regular basis.

It's a good thing, keeps us humble, keeps America free and democratic while it sits currently as the lone superpower (I'm not sure how long that'll last, it's up to the citizens/government of China which direction that nation goes). The American populance has more sway and ability to police its own government than anyone in the United Nations, or any army in any other country (or them all) does. That said... if we were all the nasty things people call us, believe me you wouldn't need to constantly point it out, you'd know it.

20. Rayjr

Rayjr Chieftain

the greeks the rapid rise and fall for the conquest victory under alexander. all ya gotta do is win quick who cares what happens after that.