1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Boring... or just me?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zaimejs, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Sorry, I have absolutely no interest in the 1UPT debate.

It was evident before the fall patch. In other threads, some other players using ludicrous size maps agreed that it was playing reasonably well and that they were
    enjoying the games. YMMV.
    IMO, it's even better now after the fall patch.

2. isau

isau Deity

I'm finding the game design overall pretty fun but I have to admit the terrible AI makes it hard to stick with the game. I will say that using the Rocketboots mod (+1 movement to all units) makes the game much more enjoyable for me, not the least because Builders are easier to manage when you can remember what they are supposed to be doing, because they get there faster.

3. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Very well said!

4. ColPaladin

ColPaladin Chieftain

I could not put a finger on it, until my last game (of 4). The longer the game goes on, the more tedious it gets. It's a slow burn though, so you don't really notice the transition. At first, it's just a trade route change here, a spy reassign there, and mostly concentrating on your 2, or perhaps 3 cities and strategy. By the last 3rd of the game, it flips, and I'm spending the majority of the time on tedium and micro instead of strategy. I spend so much time reassigning defensive spies; reassigning trade routes; reassigning building projects; scanning the map each turn to see if enemy units are near any cities (because there is no Sentry setting); trying to see what trade deals have expired. I feel like I'm working on a repetitive assembly line instead of a strategy game.

Add in the painfully long build times, and a loopy AI, and it's back to 5 for me until the next patch.

Jussiut, c4c6, phoinix and 7 others like this.
  5. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Prince

The monotony of managing everything gets more and more tedious, just slogged through my fourth on Immortal. Going to try Deity next but I am not optimistic that I will spend more time enjoying it than slogging through to get to the end, and I only play on quick/small.

The game desperately needs lockable and easily managed trade routes, city build options that are lockable like science or gold, technologies and civics at the end that are lockable. Some substitute for puppet cities is needed.

The game is fun for a 50-100 turn demo, but it's like they never bothered to try finishing a game.

Jussiut, c4c6, Lewi11 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Auberon

Auberon Chieftain

There is far too much micromanagement for my taste in Civ 6, this is why I prefer Civ 5.

I don't think the future DLCs and expansions can really improve this game for me, I don't like the core mechanisms of Civ 6. I don't like to be forced to produce new workers all along the game, to be forced to build districts and to place things on the map like districts and wonders... mini-games within the game, all adding micromanagement... barbarians and barbarians assaulting my tentative empire...and the civic cards, and the culture tree, and this, and this... gazillion of mini maxing decisions... technologies and culture cards triggering new options... more, always more... many cities... many units... Stoooop! Argh! I need to breathe... Leave me alone!

I think this game is not for me. :)

Chinese American and Horizons like this.
  7. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

The game was boring for me for the first 15 hours, but now i'm really enjoying it with 80 hours played. The Eureka system is real nice, it feels good getting that barb kill with your slinger to boost archery, or killing 3 of them to get a boost to Bronze Working. The game seems more dynamic than Civ V to me.

8. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I just tried a new game with Spain. I don't think I'll finish that one either. Something just doesn't click. The game doesn't feel alive.

Zuizgond and sanchopanda like this.
  9. tanktop4158

tanktop4158 Chieftain

no its missing something previous Civs had, I am hopping that with adds latter they will add new features :/

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

This is something I've found with every version of Civ without exception. Fortunately, with Civ 6 we can easily limit the game length. I play on a Standard map and limit it to 220 turns (instead of the default 500 turns), which seems about right for me.

11. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

This would be awesome! Great idea!

Maybe not allow backtracking either except on Government change - you can't swap in a policy you've previously used unless switching governments. Tasty!

12. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Those two things would make me like the civics system more, I would feel like my policies define my civ more since there's opportunity cost to changing them…

Governments would still feel pretty arbitrary though… I wish there were some government-specific cards and some stacking/triangles

c4c6 likes this.
  13. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I like the mid- to late-game, which always seems to be the period of the game that is tested / balanced the least.

The exception was the ideology / tourism overhaul of Civ5, and adding WW1 units. The late game got some love and it worked very well.

Civ6 late game is actually a step back from Civ5 with its expansions.

14. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I could just about bring myself to play Civ6 if it wasn't for the bugs and the gross gameplay imbalances and awful AI.

But yeah, Firaxis has a good PR / marketing department. The business decision to release Civ6 in a state resembling post-alpha and pre-beta to make lots of CASH has paid off. They courted all the reviewers by giving them very restricted access to the game before release. A triumph of business / greed / profit-seeking over good technical game-making. Sid sure knows how to polish a turd.

Zuizgond and Roald Amundsen like this.
  15. McGreggD

McGreggD Chieftain

I wish I had the time to play enough to get bored. I've had the game for over a month but I can't give it the attention i want. I work all week and day dream about playing. On my days off my girlfriend gets upset if i play too much.

c4c6 and whyidie like this.
  16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Believe me you are not missing out on much.

Dearmad and Fierro like this.
  17. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

It depends on what you want out of the game. I've been playing quite a bit and quite happily so far.

The main problem is that the intelligence of the programmed opponents is low, but that doesn't have too bad an effect on me as I play to improve on my previous best score; and that's something of a challenge regardless of the quality of the opponents.

I don't like the later stages of the game, so I limit my games to 220 turns. Thus, the only kind of victory that matters in my games is having the highest score. I haven't turned off the other kinds of victory, but there doesn't seem to be time for any of them to happen within 220 turns.

18. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

220 turns is interestingly about the time I get bored. I wonder if turning on quick speed would help? or just quiting at 220 as you do?