Really Boring... or just me?

Playing Rise of Mankind: A New dawn and having Great fun! What an awsome mod! :) Civ 6 will have to wait a few years until modders fix it!

I could live with a lot of things here. For me the dealbreaker so far has the diplomacy AI. It's just not fun to play when you have to treat every AI civ as a barbarian nation.

Constant backstabing, constant wars. I tried to pick one AI civ and just do anything they ask for or like. Even joint wars. But no. They have managed to backstab me even during the joint war. And I was stronger then they were.

As for Civ 6 being boring, I'm not sure I agree entirely. I do feel you OP when you say it seems like you just start games and lose interest; that has been happening to me as of late. Yet I had this with CiV as well after a certain point. For me it is, I think, a matter of too many good games being out, small bugs, me being picky about the unit upgrade paths not making sense around musket men to WWII infantry, and of course the inability to request certain things of the AI. In no way does this ruin the game for me but it does limit the stimulation I get from it. I think given some time patches and expansions I'll probably feel better about it; as well as finish playing the other good games I am trying to balance around Civ 6.

It works well once you get used to the new perspective. Had some artifacts at extreme zoom out but I suspect those were perhaps main memory issues and not my GTX 1070. Or not, who knows. Works well enough so thank you for this mod. :)

This will be the first civ (maybe civ 5 was like that I dunno, never really played it) that really sucks out of the box. Let's face it, it needs some heavy mods and a major expansion pack to salvage any dignity for this franchise. How can they make a game with an AI that can not seem to take a city if their lives depended on it. There is no strategy here, just a bunch of flopping around. Very disappointed that I spent money upgrading my computer for this game. I am hoping the mods can save it though!
...?
Did you play CIv 5? If so... how can you possibly consider this game worse than civ 5 vanilla?

What joy does it bring to you guys to switch to higher difficulties?
The AI already builds laughtably huge armies on Prince - it even throws in some corps and armies eventually - but then is unable to do much with them.
Because the AI cannot play with the limitations introduced to the system in Civ5, you have an AI with a throng of units, what's the fun in playing in even higher difficulties so the AI has even more units causing more traffic jams and longer turn-times?

Turn times aren't that bad up to Emperor. Don't know what happens to turn times after Emperor.

Its about the threat for me. Prince the AI didn't do much. King I can lose a city or two, but the AI doesn't typically prepare for all out war. Emperor they can snowball and get away from me. If there is no threat I lose the plot.

I've been playing at king, gonna try higher difficulties. What bothers me the most, even more than it did in Civ 5 is the AI not keeping up a competetive military.
Yesterday I rolled up a modern tank to an Arabian city, first two units I saw was a warrior and a slinger while he was slightly ahead of me in research.
He did have AT-crews and mobile infantry but with no air defense there is no challenge at all.

This will be the first civ (maybe civ 5 was like that I dunno, never really played it) that really sucks out of the box. Let's face it, it needs some heavy mods and a major expansion pack to salvage any dignity for this franchise. How can they make a game with an AI that can not seem to take a city if their lives depended on it. There is no strategy here, just a bunch of flopping around. Very disappointed that I spent money upgrading my computer for this game. I am hoping the mods can save it though!

The second, Shafer´s game was actually worse, maybe much worse. With a myriad of technical issues as well. Imagine that!

Sorry to here your disappointments.
It's working fine for me with ludicrous-size GEM.
Civ's are fighting each other, taking each others cities, trading, sending out missionaries and apostles, building wonders, deploying spies, upgrading units and exploring the entire (230 x 115) "globe".

So the countless voices refering to 4x size maps to make 1UPT feasible might have been sound??!! At least a resemblance of Artificial intelligence you say? Hope this could be commented be other posters.

I've been playing at king, gonna try higher difficulties. What bothers me the most, even more than it did in Civ 5 is the AI not keeping up a competetive military.
Yesterday I rolled up a modern tank to an Arabian city, first two units I saw was a warrior and a slinger while he was slightly ahead of me in research.
He did have AT-crews and mobile infantry but with no air defense there is no challenge at all.

Think they say they would fix it with the new patch. I hope it is fixed.

But I would also like to see that if there is 2 eras between the units and enough strength difference for an insta kill, you could treat that unit as not being there and it would do no damage. I mean, if some one role up with a tank to attack an infantry unit and a slinger is in the way, the tank should just role over the slingers, take no damage, just delete the slingers and then attack the infantry unit that very turn.

A moment of clarity
the tank should just role over the slingers, take no damage, just delete the slingers and then attack the infantry unit that very turn.

Do the slingers in this instance just... literally stand in a line in front of the tank

A moment of clarity

Do the slingers in this instance just... literally stand in a line in front of the tank

I had games where there is obsolete unites every where from my opponent and it is slowing me down. When I come with tanks and attack helicopters, slingers and warriors should not be able to do anything. I mean, there might take me 3-4 turns extra just to get up to a city because of all the junk soldiers they have running around. Realistically I should be able to advance as if those units where not even there.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I have often thrown 'sacrificial' units in front of attackers to slow them down. This is the AI taking advantage of their brainless carpets of death. Think of it as free experience and maybe even gold if you have the correct civic.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I have often thrown 'sacrificial' units in front of attackers to slow them down. This is the AI taking advantage of their brainless carpets of death. Think of it as free experience and maybe even gold if you have the correct civic.

They just make the wars last longer then they have to. And really, slingers against tanks? My tank crew probably dont even hear the bumps on the armour or feel the bumps under the tracks. So why waste a whole turn on it, even taking slightly of damage to my unit.

Edit: I just dont want the AI to spam units or keep obsolete units around. Updating units, or buying/building units should be much much cheaper. But they should find a way to limit the amount of units you can have. Perhaps a city can produce 2 ranged and 2 meele units or 2 boats and have them operational.
And you need to invest in your Encampment/Harbour district to be able to have more units. Not only does it make the district more powerful and even more worth building. But then you could have units produced quickly or upgraded cheaply so that dont find your self in production or financial bottle necks as often.

For example. If I play as France and their strength is to build wonders in the mid game. That´s when their UU makes an entrance as well. As well as many of the buildings they need to build to achieve cultural victory. So you have to prioritize about things you should not have to. Because you want to build spies as well.

An art museum costs 265 hammers, an Garde Imperiale costs 340 and you will have to build other stuff as well in the time period between the Renaissance and the Industrial era. Then also build wonders to get the benefit from France UA. Along with spies.

And France is not alone. Plenty of CIVs have expensive UU and units overall are to expensive to build if they are to fit their time era. So there is a lot of unit spamming of obsolete units going on and it sucks.

Last edited:
We don't know if or when they will get around to improving the AI so the best it can do for now is clog the landscape with these speed bumps.

Last edited:
I think the inherent issue here is what people expect/think this game is supposed to do or be. It sounds like most people complaining are expecting some sort of realistic simulation of world humanity and interaction. Instead think of it as a sandbox to play in and maybe you'll have more fun.

We don't know if or when they will get around to improving the UI so the best it can do for now is clog the landscape with these speed bumps.

I think the inherent issue here is what people expect/think this game is supposed to do or be. It sounds like most people complaining are expecting some sort of realistic simulation of world humanity and interaction. Instead think of it as a sandbox to play in and maybe you'll have more fun.

For some the glass contains the perfect amount of fluids ;)

I will lower my demands and try to enjoy it more. Still a great game. :)

I am playing my first game on Immortal, and I am not 'bored' yet, but I am not real happy with the short cut the developers have taken to boost the AI at higher levels. They clearly get cheap units and REALLY cheap technology because the AIs are WAY ahead of me in the tech tree even though I am huge and still expanding and there cities no where near justify their getting so far ahead of me.

The only difficulty is from their high city defense from being in an advanced era and the few units they pop out are better than mine, but I have more and know how to use them. Greece has almost all the coal so I cannot upgrade my Caravels, and this was on a 'balanced' map. That still needs work.

It's weird why I love this game so much. Everyone else seems to have problems with it. Look on the Civ5 forums and everyone is playing that game rather than this one. I can't even bear the thought of playing Civ5 over this one. I absolutely love the district system, it's what puts this game above Civ5 imho. Yeah they are expensive, but I'm okay with that. It really forces you to make a choice whether you want to build your cities up, or keep on the offensive or expansionist route. Of course it is far from perfect. I really do want to see more challenge when someone declares war on me. That's the part that's missing the most.

Top Bottom