Recent Upgrade to Win 10 Home

Von Naumann

Chieftain
I've recently upgraded to Win 10 Home, from Win 7 Home Premium. I have Civ III Complete, and the tech, who did the upgrade, put everything, that I had, on Win7, over to Win 10. After asking for permission to make changes (yes), the game would not run. I've unistalled it, and reinstalled twice, but it still won't run (even if I try running as administrator. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

The disc version...

It could be that your windows 7 machine was old enough to still support the copy protection, whereas the new one definitely doesn't. Have a look at the 'Can I use my original CDs?' section here for more details. There are a number of workarounds suggested which may help.

Alright. I will have a look at that material, however, I should point out that my machine (the tower) has not changed; just the OS (which may amount to the same thing, from the copy protection perspective). Thanks.

Save yourself heartaches and just get the GoG Complete version for $1.49 right now, LOL, here: https://www.gog.com/en/game/sid_meiers_civilization_iii_complete
I did that several years ago and I too just upgraded to Win10 (from XP) recently. The game runs like a raped ape on my old beast that was built in 2008.
EDIT: Read the "Workarounds..." thread at the top of this subforum, because it says the GoG version doesn't support multiplayer, and if you want that then go with Steam. I didn't know that because I don't do multiplayer.

That said, does anyone know how to minimize the game on Win10?
XP had this little bar thing on the far right side of the taskbar (after hitting the Windows key) that, if clicked on, would minimize whatever computer game you were playing. Win10 also has that bar, albeit it is narrower, and while I can see my desktop if I hover over that bar, if I actually click on it, it throws me back into the game, not the desktop.
Again, how do I minimize the game on Win10 so I can do things on my desktop?

Last edited:
It works for me if I play in window mode (keepres=1, video mode = 1024 or similar). Clicking that little button will hide the window. I can then click on something else, although when I do this, the Civ III window will pop back up but behind the other program, so it's functional but not perfect. I understand that playing the game in a window without locked mouse isn't for everyone but its at least something!

It works for me if I play in window mode (keepres=1, video mode = 1024 or similar). Clicking that little button will hide the window. I can then click on something else, although when I do this, the Civ III window will pop back up but behind the other program, so it's functional but not perfect. I understand that playing the game in a window without locked mouse isn't for everyone but its at least something!
I've figured out a way to access my desktop folders. Thanks for your response.

Top Bottom