Does Steam version of Civ 3 actually work in Win 10?

Antonin1957

Chieftain
Hello.

I bought a new Win 10 computer in January. I installed Civ 3 today on the C drive (not Program Files) and tried to get the game to run. It won't, no matter how much I fiddle around with preferences and administrator and blah blah.

I see that Civ 3 is available on Steam. I hate Steam, but I really want to play Civ 3. Does the Steam version work on Win 10? Or do you have to make adjustments? Back in the day, I got so tired of fumbling around to get DOS games to work, and over the years I've become soooo tired of every new edition of Windows making another group of favorite games unplayable.

I'm in my 60s, and this will be my last computer. I just want to play this game without having to jump through hoops...

I'm sorry, I don't know what GOG.com is, and I don't click on links that I see in forums. Is GOG.com a safe, legitimate site?

EDIT: I looked up GOG, and I see that it's in Poland. That's too close to Russia for me. These days I don't feel safe giving credit card information to any Eastern European or Russian companies. Oh well.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't know what GOG.com is, and I don't click on links that I see in forums. Is GOG.com a safe, legitimate site?

EDIT: I looked up GOG, and I see that it's in Poland. That's too close to Russia for me. These days I don't feel safe giving credit card information to any Eastern European or Russian companies. Oh well.
Yes, it's legitimate. Only, legitimate game sources can be linked to on CFC. But, it's your decision and btw it's back up to $5.99 now.

I had precisely the same issues (well, sort of - getting Steam's Civ 3 to run on Win 10 with a HD monitor was a nightmare) and - irrespective of country of origin, I do everything I can to limit "back door" access to my machine ... But, as @Civinator walked me through about 8 levels of confusion just one thread away from this one, you can but Civ 3 form GOG, and d/l an "offline installer" for the game and simply delete the GOG Galaxy software from your machine.

If I needed so many levels of explanation, my former explanations were not good enough. :D

Does Civ 3 Complete from steam require any user patches, or is it all tickey-boo?

I bought my game on GOG, and it works perfectly with Windows 10. However, I seem to have difficulties running older scenarios.

I bought my game on GOG, and it works perfectly with Windows 10. However, I seem to have difficulties running older scenarios.
Which scenarios?

What difficulties?

Does Civ 3 Complete from steam require any user patches, or is it all tickey-boo?
My Civ 3 Complete from Steam runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop; I did not have to apply any patches from this or other sites.

I have to twiddle the screen resolution (as I have described elsewhere) to get it to start consistently, but all the executables and art assets run fine. If you *want* the changes offered by the Flintlock patch, that's another matter.

Top Bottom