Recon Pay Terrain Cost -- All-you-can-move Buffet edition

Just confirmed it: Quick = Unit Ignore Terrain Cost, vanilla Recon promotion.
And mystery of Dirigible slow on Ice resolved, it didn't get Quick promotion, my mistake.
okay i just did a quick test w/ new xtra3 in OP -- i don't know how to spawn the CAS fighter but I did the other 3 -- none have the slow woods promo (good), all of them are also missing the 'can move all terrain' promo (bad), but they are getting the ignore promo aka quick promo (good).

Re: the all-terrain promo, I infer that CAYM has spread out some parts of this to different mod files, and I am only using the one with the zeps and predator for testing. It seems these specific mod files refer to the all terrain promo but don't actually define it. There shouldn't be anything in any mod in this thread that removes any all-terrain promos, though. I'm thinking anything to do with that is a quirk of CAYM's mod setup. Especially if you're seeing some units get it and others not, this is definitely something to do with mod load order or the SQL itself in CAYM's mod. If you notice anything else about these ones applying inconsistently, let me know, but I think that will be for caym to fix. @CAYM you may want to double-check that the all-terrain move promo is setup as intended in your various mods.

Last edited:
Just tested, current state of the affairs in CAYM Tweaks:
Dirigible - doesn't have Quick
Zeppelin - has both, so no problems
CAS Fighter - has both
UAV (80CS) - doesn't have Move All Terrain; <-- another mystery resolved, this UAV is from another CAYM mod - Future Age

I'll also test PineappleDan VP Tweaks with his version of Dirigible/Zeppelin/UAV

Last edited:
Dirigible - doesn't have Quick
this is odd -- when i tested just now it did. Something else must be taking it off

edit: i just remembered you are using counter-reconnaissance -- that mod is probably taking it off. I'll revisit that mod as one of my next projects, but I have bigger things planned there, no quick fixes.

UAV - doesn't have Move All Terrain
I am thinking this must be something in CAYM's mod -- is there a specific component here that, when you do not load it, this unit shows up with move all terrain? I am guessing it will be the same either way.

I'll keep these issues in mind but I'm out of quick fix ideas, and am thinking something else outside of this mod is behind each tbh. Sounds like we're kinda in 'good enough' territory on caym compatibility?

Last edited:
From PineappleDan VP Tweaks:
Dirigible - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
Zeppelin - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
UAV (70 CS; in CAYM Tweaks renamed as CAS Fighter) - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
All have alternative promotions giving them movement while ignoring terrain cost, so no need for Quick.

From Future AGE:
UAV (80 CS) - doesn't have Move All Terrain (this one was mistakenly mentioned by me as from CAYM Tweaks before)
There are also Hybrid Drone and Biodrone from Future Age, but there is no movement related problems with them.

Dirigible - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
Zeppelin - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
UAV (70 CS; in CAYM Tweaks renamed as CAS Fighter) - has Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain
All have alternative promotions giving them movement while ignoring terrain cost, so no need for Quick.
good catch... PD's are trickier to work with -- I should be able to fix nonetheless. another new xtra3 inbound

Future age is another one of caym's that I suspect has to be dealt with by caym. Either that or its another mod.

edit: new xtra3 in OP

Last edited:
Confirmed everything is working as intended now.
Actually after closer look Dirigible/Zeppelin/UAV from PD Tweaks are classified as Airships, not Recon units, and have completely different possible promotions from standard Recon, which makes more sense IMO. Time to play with PD Tweaks for a change.
Thank you for your quick help, appreciated.

Confirmed everything is working as intended now.
Actually after closer look Dirigible/Zeppelin/UAV from PD Tweaks are classified as Airships, not Recon units, and have completely different possible promotions from standard Recon, which makes more sense IMO. Time to play with PD Tweaks for a change.
Thank you for your quick help, appreciated.
you may want to check the last post I added in PD's thread -- PD's zeps are actually bugged cuz of how they are assigned to "airship" -- "airship" is not properly a category that can be used, and as a result PD's zeps are missing their attack animations. It can be relatively easily fixed with text editor (i posted steps in the other thread), though you may need to do some testing as we've done here to make sure all the text aligns

Good news everyone! ... is what I would like to say, but no such luck.
After replacing all unitcombat_airship for unitcombat_helicopter in Zeppelin.sql as per your advice, promotion Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain came back with a vengeance.
Dirigible/Zeppelin/UAV from PD Tweaks are again moving slower in a forest.

Good news everyone! ... is what I would like to say, but no such luck.
After replacing all unitcombat_airship for unitcombat_helicopter in Zeppelin.sql as per your advice, promotion Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain came back with a vengeance.
Dirigible/Zeppelin/UAV from PD Tweaks are again moving slower in a forest.
Okay I'm not at my PC, iirc I added tag for helicopter as well -- like the check that excludes unitcombat_airship should equally exclude anything setup on unitcombat_helicopter -- it's possible that one of us misspelled this unitcombat? If you're seeing attack animations in game then you got it right, and maybe want to double check that I didn't misspell in the xtra3 SQL.

Its odd cuz i also made this switch in PD Zeppelin mod and when I was testing last night it seemed to be doing the job with helicopter! Maybe I'm misremembering, was doing a lot of changes in different files.

It's another weird one, I'll have a look later on. Let me know if you catch any obvious spelling errors in my xtra3 SQL, that's just about the only thing I can think of here. Or it's possible that between all the files I was editing last night, I got the conditional right in one file and not another... Pretty sure I put something in this one for helicopter though.

More testing:
With unitcombat_helicopter game hangs after clicking next turn button, after quick searching in VP Units folder found that perhaps it should be unitcombat_helicopter_gunship like I found there, but even after changing to that no attack animation, still slow in the forest, but at least no hanging the game when clicking next turn.
My limited knowledge is spent, waiting for advice.

Edit:
Promotion Obstructed Movement in Wooded Terrain disappeared which is good, but endless loading after clicking next turn still persists, I'll slowly test which mod causes conflict.
Edit 2:
After some trouble tested only VP and PD Tweaks 4VP and finally got to see some animations, not much to see when attacking with Zeppelins, but UAVs definitely have one, and Dirigibles have... something ;p

Last edited:
Top Bottom